Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #1

My dad is going to

retire next month on his own. Now the company told him there going to give him a permanent layoff.
So he's going to draw 26 weeks of unemployment. When that's gone he can file for an extension. After his extension is gone he will go on to Social Security.
My mom did the same thing except the company she worked for shut there doors. My mom did have to do a job search. My mom knew at her age no one would hire her.
Is it unethical for my dad to take his unemployment. It's not his fault that the company is going to give him a permanent layoff. What would you do?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I look at it as I have paid into the system and when I need it, I can pull back from the system. beats all of the dead-beats out there that a sticking it to the system.

Ken

Old 06-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm with Ken. He's earned it, why shouldn't he use it?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
As I remember the law concerning workmans comp. If you are laid off, after a time (vacation time, sick time, etc) you are elegable for un employment insurance under the law. You are eligable for this benefit for a specific period of time and you can request a hearing for an extension of said benefits. This is the law as I remember it here in NC. He should go with the ''law''' concerning this situation and draw any and all ''benefits'' provided by the law for the time he is eligable for said benefits. Who knows,,,,,,, Maybe they will hire him back before his ''benefits are exhausted''.
(aint life tough)

God bless our troops ....
Old 06-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
As I remember the law concerning workmans comp. If you are laid off, after a time (vacation time, sick time, etc) you are elegable for un employment insurance under the law. You are eligable for this benefit for a specific period of time and you can request a hearing for an extension of said benefits. This is the law as I remember it here in NC. He should go with the ''law''' concerning this situation and draw any and all ''benefits'' provided by the law for the time he is eligable for said benefits. Who knows,,,,,,, Maybe they will hire him back before his ''benefits are exhausted''.
(aint life tough)

God bless our troops ....
Seajay you're mixing apples and oranges, workmans comp is drawn for disability due to an injury on the job the costs associated with this insurance is born by the employer. Unemployment payments require that you are ready and willing to work and is normally paid from payroll deductions and matching employer payments. Here in PA.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #6

Hondo is correct. Draw the benefits without guilt. It isn't employees fault that lay off has occurred. Take all you can get until retire time kicks in. Does he have a retire plan with company? Or just SS to draw upon.?
Old 06-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #7

I have a question. Does he have a retirement benefit with this employer? If he does, then they are circumventing having to pay that retirement package.

IF he did not, they are giving him a mini golden handshake. Take it with their blessings. He earned it.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #8

My dad has a retirement fund and a 401 K Plan.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is common practice - If your dad is currently working and has not formally notified his employer that he intended to retire - he may receive unemployment with a clear conscience. If he formally informed his employer that he intended to retire and they offered this unemployment package to delay him drawing his retirement - then the company has an ethics problem. IMHO, your dad should take what the company offers (and keep the documentation in a safe place) and leave with a clear conscience.
P.S. It is nice to see you have a concern over this – shows you are a good person – thank you parents for that. You might want to leave the decision to them; they have all the details:>)
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=hondo122;883492]Seajay you're mixing apples and oranges, workmans comp is drawn for disability due to an injury on the job the costs associated with this insurance is born by the employer. Unemployment payments require that you are ready and willing to work and is normally paid from payroll deductions and matching employer payments. Here in PA.[
you are dead right hondo. I just had a senior moment and got my workmans comp and my UN EMPLOYMENT INSURANCE mixed up. I still say he should ''ride the tide'' on this because he paid and he should collect ....

Thank a vet for your freedoms ....
Old 06-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just Conversation

There are no payroll deductions for unemployment insurance. That is paid 100% by the employer for both Federal and State. Know this for a fact. Payed it for 40 years on employees.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
stuhly, you are correct, at least in California it is as you stated. May vary in other states, I don't know. I too was an employer in CA. Employees do pay a portion of thier state disability insurance.
I would consider it a "golden handshake" from your Dad's employer.

Dieselclacker
Old 06-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #13

they did this where i work almost two years ago they layed off several twenty plus year employes that were close to retirement, they did give them a severance package and they all drew unemployment until they could qualify for social security. the ones too young to retire they helped find jobs they could handle physically.
tell him to draw it with his head held high he didn't quit, they quit him, plain and simple company's have very little loyalty for their older employes now days they forget who made them who they are.
i count my self lucky so far i work for a decent company that has been fair but most aren't that fortunate.
good luck
Old 06-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #14

Sorry but I guess I'm different... I don't share the same views as others have posted. It is one thing to take unemployment while seeking employment but to take unemployment based upon the purpose behind the benefit and use it as free money is another thing.

In my view its not so much the outcome but rather the intention whether or not it is the right thing to do.

I do understand that others will not share this view.