Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #1

My first long trip since owning a diesel. Questions?

When you stop for fuel do you shut off engine and generator?
If you stop at a restaurant or a shopping mall do you leave engine and generator running?I remember a long time ago I asked a trucker why he left his truck running and he told me that a diesel engine would not crank back up unless it was cold.
When getting fuel at a truck stop is there a different place for RVs then big trucks?
Is there a easy in and out place to get fuel off I95 near Jacksonville Fl.?
I have a Tiffin 38qra 340 hp on a Freightliner chassis

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Most fueling stations have signs to shut off engines, which I also assume to mean generator. We usually shut our off. Also they say to shut of the refrigerator from propane as it has an open flame, same with the water heater and furnace if you are using.

Most of the big fuel truck stops have special lanes for RV's. Regular gas stations will usually have diesel but they may not be easy to get into. I hardly ever use the big fuel stations.

What I normally do before leaving and knowing I will have to stop for fuel I will check Gasbuddy.com along the route that I am driving and look for the lowest fuel prices in an area. I can usually save 10-15 cents a gallon by doing this.

Once I get of the interstate I will decide what is the best choice for fueling that will make it easier to get back on the interstate >>> right hand turns back onto access road instead of having to cross 1-2 lanes of traffic. At the same time I decide which station has the best access.

I use Sam's or Murphy when possible as they lower prices and usually good access.

Good Luck and enjoy the new rig

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post

When you stop for fuel do you shut off engine and generator?Yes. But, you should let the engine idle for two or three minutes to cool down the turbos. Typically, just slowing down and maneuvering to the pumps is sufficient and you can shut down the engine immediately.

If you stop at a restaurant or a shopping mall do you leave engine and generator running?No.. at least not the engine. If hot outside, leaving the generator running with the ACs on, is probably ok, but I wouldn't do it.

I remember a long time ago I asked a trucker why he left his truck running and he told me that a diesel engine would not crank back up unless it was cold.BS..or maybe it was just his truck that did this.

When getting fuel at a truck stop is there a different place for RVs then big trucks?No... However, some Flying J stations do have an RV lane equipped with both gas and diesel.

Is there a easy in and out place to get fuel off I95 near Jacksonville Fl.?Have no idea.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #4

Download the Pilot and Flying J apps along with GasBuddy. I used the truckers lanes when available. I asked and they didn't care, just don't get behind a semi as they take along time to fill. If in doubt ask.
A lot of places I had difficulty getting out away from the pump, people will cut in front of you and do the dumbest things you can imagine.

Gary
gwlaeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There is a Pilot/Flying J somewhere along the I95 corridor through Jacksonville I'm sure I've stopped at, you can check their web site or phone app for the exit number as I don't remember off hand.

Yup, that trucker was full of...

My self imposed standard, I let the engine idle until the engine temp falls below 190 degrees. Not something I read or heard anywhere, just the standard I set. Modern turbos have updated cooling and lubrication systems as compared with anything my dad would have driven so this isn't perhaps as critical as it was at one time.

As stated, most Flying J's and some Pilot stations (I'm not aware of any others that do) will have a dedicated RV lane but even if they do, I'll head to the truck lanes. More often than not access to the RV lanes is an issue, not always the fault of the business. Many people ignore the "RV" lane signs, or they'll fill up and then go into the building to do their shopping, eat, or who knows, all with no concern that they're blocking the only lane accessible by large RVs - (they sell gas on those islands, something I'd take advantage of when we had one of our gassers). I watched some idiot one time spend 15 minutes on his cell phone while leaning up against his pickup truck (would easily have fit into the regular lanes), finishing the call before he even reached for the hose to start pumping. This is just one of many anecdotes I could recite when attempting to use the RV lanes. I don't bother anymore.

Many truckers will leave their engines running while refueling, not to mention auxiliary power units or generators. I don't think your generator will cause much concern. I shut down so as not to waste fuel. I've yet to see a station that gives it away.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #6

Everything Lanerd said plus. Make your life easy. Get a Pilot/Flying J charge card through Good SAMs. It allows you to go through the truck lanes, my recommendation, and pay at the pump instead of having to go inside.
Truck lanes are always preferred by me. Never have to worry about getting in or out.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:28 PM   #7

I will idle only as needed ie turbo cool down at rest areas and cold warm up. Excessive idling is not good for any diesel engine including the big trucks.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #8

I shut down the engine while fueling or stopped somewhere, I don't like to idle a lot.
The generator stays running.
I usually use the truck lanes. If you are unable to pay at the pump pull up when finished fueling so the guy behind you can begin fueling.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #9

Hi Rodney,exit 1 or 2 on I95 in ga. flying-J with rv lane.turn the engine off the guy that told you about the engine not starting is giving you a line of BS. I drove for 40yr. when you come back home the marathon fuel dist on fish hatchery road easy in and out and close to your house. I top off there on every trip and unhook the car dw goes home and opens the gate while I fuel fuel there 24/7 with credit card.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies. Rick I always fill up on Fish Hatchery and never been further than Myrtle Beach so I have not had to stop for fuel we have a trip planned to Fort Wilderness Disney World next month with our 2 Granddaughters
and I know I have to stop at least once.I think I saw you at the light on Fish Hatchery and Pine Ridge drive a couple of weeks ago.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
When you stop for fuel do you shut off engine and generator?

If you stop at a restaurant or a shopping mall do you leave engine and generator running?I remember a long time ago I asked a trucker why he left his truck running and he told me that a diesel engine would not crank back up unless it was cold.

When getting fuel at a truck stop is there a different place for RVs then big trucks?

Is there a easy in and out place to get fuel off I95 near Jacksonville Fl.?

I do shut off the engine. Sometimes let the genset run.
Flying Js usually have RV islands but others mostly do not. I usually go to the truck lanes as the high speed pumps are much superior. Just be sure to pull forward to the painted line after you fuel if you need to go into the station.
There is a Flying J north of Jacksonville at Brunswick, Ga and one south at St Augustine, Fl. Both are easy access from I95.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't wait to get fuel until the last minute. Fuel gauges are not exact to the gallon. There are truck stops all along the interstates and you can get fuel in the truck lanes. I have Good Sam's Pilot/Flying J discount card & get cash prices, pump starts and I don't have to go inside at all. At Loves and others, I go inside with the credit card while DH fills the tank.

If your fuel level drops below 1/4 tank or so the generator will stop running which you need to run your air conditioners in this heat (dash air just isn't enough).

Get yourself a Next Exit book: very handy for traveling on the interstate/freeway system. It tells you what is at each exit and highlights truck stops for you. Also has rest areas marked plus repair services etc.

You will find that a lot of the Pilot/Flying J RV lanes are not motorhome friendly. Not only are they located in an area that requires some tight turning but they are also much slower pumps. I don't use them. I go where the truckers go.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
While I do have the Good Sam Pilot /flying J 'discount' card and still use it on occasion, they are usually much higher price than many others you will find with gas buddy, etc...

I've found that I can get into most stations with just a little forethought as to my exit strategy even with the 15' toad, say 5' hitch, and 44+ foot RV.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:54 PM   #14

When I drove 18 wheelers I always shut the truck off while fueling. Of course I was also checking fluids and cleaning the windshield most stops.

Tags
diesel