Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
real men don't use GPS, except for cruise missles.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #16

A few years ago we needed to go from Lake Tahoe to Stockton Ca. SHMBO programed the shortest route in the GPS and not the fastest route. The GPS sent us through alot of the Gold country and the said to turn right on a certain road. We turned onto a nice two lane road but after the crest of a hill it turned into a farmers two track feed road between two fences about a mile later it turned into a wide two lane road again. Thank God we were in a car and didnot have the TT behind us. It ended up a blessing due to a tanker crashed and burned on I-80 and had a 8hr backup. We were where we needed to be right on time. Joe
Old 06-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Everyone does realize that the news article has nothing to do with GPS accuracy don't they? This lady failed every field sobriety test that was given, and a Breathalyzer. The GPS story was what she told the first officer on the scene. It was broad daylight, she drove off the road, onto a golf course and into a sand trap.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon
Everyone does realize that the news article has nothing to do with GPS accuracy don't they? This lady failed every field sobriety test that was given, and a Breathalyzer. The GPS story was what she told the first officer on the scene. It was broad daylight, she drove off the road, onto a golf course and into a sand trap.
What was she suppose to say, "The alcohol made me do it"?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
What was she suppose to say, "The alcohol made me do it"?

No kidding. It hardly ever works when you look at the cop and say "YOU try driving when you're this drunk!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Ours, just last week, when trying to find my secret camping spot took us down a public boat ramp and instructed us to drive into the New River, then turn left. I found my GPS to be almost worthless in the mountains of VA.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon
You do realize that she drove through the cornfield before she got to the golf course and then deposited her Buick in the sandtrap. :wink:
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Our old Garmin liked to get us off of I90 in Chicago, route us through a few blocks of city traffic, and then back onto the freeway. I ended up "blocking" that section as we made that trip every year for a number of years. The only other time it lead us a bit astray was at Disney World. We asked it to take us to the Animal Kingdom. It did, to the employee entrance in the back. The very nice gate guard said it happens all the time and gave us some old fashioned directions to the guest areas.

As for our 'new' Rand McNally GPS, it occasionally doesn't know it's left from it's right (your destination will be on the right, but it's across the street). Of course many times that kind of error is caused by some anomaly in how the locals assign an address.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #23

My only major hiccup with a portable GPS was a vacation to HI. DW was "it said left turn", to which I stated " but the sign said one way the opposite way."
Of course my Ford supplied unit does not like US 6 in North east PA, but that is such a small road.......
Old 06-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had an old Mio GPS which was a real piece of junk. Actually it was downright dangerous. Once in Arkansas it took us down a residential area and around a very tight bend. On the other side of the bend a river ran across the road. I had no choice but to put the TV in 4x4 and power it and the trailer through it.
Another time it had us going down a side street in TN that just didn't feel right. We came up on a VERY exclusive high end luxury gated subdivision. The guard was not going to let us through to turn around until I told him there was no way I could turn around or back down a road a mile. We got a lot of strange looks from people in their Jags and Bentleys.
Yet another time it had us going down a dirt road along a ravine where the road was washed out. Almost slid into the ravine.
I "retired" it. It now awaits the monthly electronics recycling event in town. Good Riddance!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
My son sent me this article from our old stomping ground.

Driver says GPS led her into sand trap in Northbridge - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com

Long story short, Lady says GPS told her to turn left, so she did; right into a cornfield which she continued to drive through until she landed in a sand trap on a local golf course. FORRRRRRRRRE!!!!!!!!!!!
This lady was drunk and the police didnt buy it...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
You know, when you guys get routed to the middle of a field, or whatnot, you CAN get the GPS to take a GPS co-ordinate snapshot and later report the error...Check you manual and/or website on how to do

The US is a HUGE place and not every where will be correctly entered..
Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #27
TWT

Our Garmin GPS took us on a tour of the Brentwood Estates, in LA, with our 36' fifth wheel in tow! It was supposed to be routing us to the Dockweiller State Beach. We did manage to get turned around, with the cooperation of some of the residents waiting patiently. They were amazingly polite and friendly! We were probably the subject of some discussions at the next cocktail party, though......
TWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
We had an old Mio GPS which was a real piece of junk. Actually it was downright dangerous. Once in Arkansas it took us down a residential area and around a very tight bend. On the other side of the bend a river ran across the road. I had no choice but to put the TV in 4x4 and power it and the trailer through it.
Another time it had us going down a side street in TN that just didn't feel right. We came up on a VERY exclusive high end luxury gated subdivision. The guard was not going to let us through to turn around until I told him there was no way I could turn around or back down a road a mile. We got a lot of strange looks from people in their Jags and Bentleys.
Yet another time it had us going down a dirt road along a ravine where the road was washed out. Almost slid into the ravine.
I "retired" it. It now awaits the monthly electronics recycling event in town. Good Riddance!
Sale it on eBay.. there are those that 'mod' the MIO's with very cool software..

Its not it's fault you were driving/towing an RV..

Tags
gps