Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
My GPS Made Me Do It!

My son sent me this article from our old stomping ground.

Driver says GPS led her into sand trap in Northbridge - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com

Long story short, Lady says GPS told her to turn left, so she did; right into a cornfield which she continued to drive through until she landed in a sand trap on a local golf course. FORRRRRRRRRE!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
What a coincidence! I just read that in todays paper, the Worcester Telegram. Seems the woman was a little tipsy according to the police report.
I live in the next town over, Uxbridge.
It's a small world, huh?

Old 06-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used MS Streets and Trips to locate a local machine shop. Sent me way out of the way. Then I used one of my portable car GPS's to find it, it routed me right by it TWICE!! Did finally find it but only by sight!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

When it was all over, we got a good belly laugh at the one and only time our Tom Tom led us astray.

We were newbies in a brand new 40DP on our first cross country trip. Programmed in the CG we wanted to spend the night at and followed "Sylvia's" directions.

I think we were in rural Wyoming... is that redundant? Anyway, before we knew it, we were on a dirt road which became more and more narrow with nothing in site but the occasional entry road to a large ranch. She proudly announced... "You have reached your destination".

We had to unhook at one of these side roads and turn the beast around... a few inches at a time.

I guess technology still does have its limitations.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #5

My Garmin 765 is infallable at taking me directly through public housing areas packed with street corner drug dealers. It also mysteriously insists that I leave I-95 and take the Florida Turnpike toll road even though according to maps it isn't necessary. I suspect payoffs in the latter case.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
What a coincidence! I just read that in todays paper, the Worcester Telegram. Seems the woman was a little tipsy according to the police report.
I live in the next town over, Uxbridge.
It's a small world, huh?
Oxofrdites for 30 years. Now retired and traveling the country. Probably won't be back anytime soon.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
grafxman: you need to check the "no ghetto" option on the setup screen.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #8

My favorite "GPS Moment" was going through the Scranton, PA area and coming to a 3-way split of interstates. The instructions were "Take next exit ramp". No indication of which of the 4 ramps; no destination or route mentioned. Sorta Russian Roulette.

I think that Microsoft secretly owns Garmin. That way we will think that Windows and Office aren't so bad after all.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used MS Streets & Trips 2011 to find a store today. It only missed by about half a mile or so,,, But then.. I am used to that so I grabbed an address, then another address, then extimated the distance to travel, grabbed a 3rd address and then said to my wife "It should be right about... Got it" and there it was.

Professional dispatcher.. Used to that kind of thing.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Oxofrdites for 30 years. Now retired and traveling the country. Probably won't be back anytime soon.
Oxford. Can you say Carl's Diner!!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
My Garmin 765 is infallable at taking me directly through public housing areas packed with street corner drug dealers. It also mysteriously insists that I leave I-95 and take the Florida Turnpike toll road even though according to maps it isn't necessary. I suspect payoffs in the latter case.
Our GPS unit takes us to strange places at least 2 out of every 5 times we use it. One time it took us 28 miles out of our way. Anyone who trusts and depends on these things is taking a chance. Bring maps with you. We're sure glad we did.

Talk about cornfields and the country. Ours once took us to a large hay field in VA, way out in the boondocks and said it was the Flying-J at least 5 miles away. It was night time and not even a house or barn was in sight. I told my DH something was wrong, that no truck stop would be so far from the interstate but he had faith in the GPS unit. And it took us there in a roundabout way no less. The actual Flying-J was right off an exit to the Interstate.

Another time, in FL, it took us to a very old gas station miles from the main road and said it was the McDonalds from it's POI selection. The owner said there had never been any other store on the site nor any McDonalds in the the neighborhood. It was an old residential area with only the old gas station there. The McDonalds was 14 miles to the north and on another road.

In NYC it had us going in a huge circle, round and round and round (a bad neighborhood no less) and never got us to my son's apartment. Traffic was horrendous. We finally pulled over, dragged out the paper map of NYC, and found his apt in no time.

These were the three worst ones I can think of. We now know you can't depend on these GPS units. They can be off by miles and can have you going in circles, never getting you to your destination at all.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
Oxford. Can you say Carl's Diner!!

If it wasn't for Carl's, I'd only be half the man I am today.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #13

That kinda happened to me before with onstar... headed to a campground and it had me turn left into the entrance. I couldn't tell from the road because of all the trees so I entered. Turns out that it was a horse farm The campground was on the other side of the farm but couldn't drive through so I was going to have to exit and get on the parralel road, however, it was tight quarters and took me awhile to get turned around...
Kinda felt like this:

Austin Powers - Parking Scene - YouTube

EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My Garmin took me downtown Manhattan and through some tunnels I had no business going through. The next day we took a bus tour and when I told the driver were we had been he confirmed my opinion that I was truly demented.

Don

Tags
gps