Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #15

easy way to dry out electronics and valuable documents is with a bell jar and vacuum pump.

Of course, you have to FIND a bell jar first......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabfado
You could have justified the spill if it had been a Corona or Bud light.
What is the difference between water and Bud light?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGracie View Post
What is the difference between water and Bud light?

Bud Lite tastes better, especially if its ice cold Bud Lite.

Dieselclacker
Old 11-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
John,
I had the opposite situation in "crossing over." Being Computer Security at JSC I was weened into PC's. Sometime around the mid 1990's NASA decided to do away with all MAC's and use PC's. It was a reasoning at that time that there was more comparability across contracting companies. Only those people with special needs for a MAC were allowed to keep them.

When DW retired she said she wanted a MAC again (she had one at NASA before the switch) so I bought her one, but I don't let her use it much. (hee hee! she reads this forum) I was a little apprehensive, but now that I'm "into" it, they are wonderful pieces of equipment. They do have their inherent problems, just like a PC has theirs.

I also have a Toshiba laptop. (My third one through the upgrade process, or a broken part here or there, and over a period of 8-10 years.) They are a good piece of equipment.

My situation was how to run PC programs on the MAC. I just this week purchased VMWare Fusion 4 and I am now running Windows along side the MAC software, and simultaneously. Both worlds. I'm happy.

I just did a search on "how to run mac on pc," and came up with a lot of hits. I read an article a few months ago where you can take a Toshiba and completely run MAC OS on it and do away with Windows. That would be drastic to me, but hey, MAC OS is just a Linux platform. You may want to check into running MAC along with Windows on the PC.

Do you still have access to "The Cloud?" What is the name of the password program?

I use 1Password on both the PC and MAC.

Good luck
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
You may want to check into running MAC along with Windows on the PC.

Do you still have access to "The Cloud?" What is the name of the password program?

I use 1Password on both the PC and MAC.

Good luck
I don't use icloud, but I was using key chain preferences (built into OS10) for my passwords. I have already recovered all the passwords when I booted my hard drive on a desktop Mac. Now I'm using Firefox to manage them.

I have been successful at networking mac and pc's together so I can download all my photos and cross platform files onto my new pc. There are only a few things that I manually have to transfer, no big deal.

I also was running VM Fusion and found it very useful to run certain Window programs on the mac, only thing I didn't like was the long boot time to start it. I did look into running OS10 on this laptop but with all the patches and possible problems, I decided against it.

Windows seems complicated and very businesslike compared to OS10. It's quirky and jerky at times compared to mac's eloquent operating system, but at least I can still do all the things I used to do on the mac. Luckily I had Photoshop installed on both platforms so I don't have to run out and buy new software $$$. The new pc also came with Word and Xcel so I don't have to buy a word processor or spreadsheet program.

I still have Adobe CS4 creative suite for mac, but hate to sell it in case I ever win the Loto and buy another new mac.
It served me well for over 3 years, but time to move on and let it go to the big mac grave yard in the sky.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is not a doubt that you have it all under control. I'm glad you were able to recover your files and passwords. It's a pain in the elbow to have to try and create them all again, and then you loose some.

Believe it or not, I have had the Blue Screen of Death on both the MAC, and PC Laptop. Fortunately on the MAC my info is stored on an external HD as it is on the PC. In both cases, backup software saved me. The MAC needed the OS re-installed. For the Toshiba I had used their utility to create a recovery set of disks, about 6 DVD's total, and I was able to restore the system. Only had the problem once on both in the last 4 years.

VMFusion 4 is quick and once it is activated on the MAC you use it as any other window. Minimize, and work on the MAC programs, click on it to work on the Window's program, and drag and drop between the two.

I do understand the $$$ with the Adobe software. It is good software, but they sure are proud and reflect it in the pricing.

I have the iMac 24, the MAC Mini, Apple TV (generation 1), two Toshiba laptops (going to give the older one to the grand-kids) I'm probably like you, money poor, computer rich, and also waiting to hit that lottery. Oops! I keep forgetting that I have to buy a ticket if I expect to win.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
The first time I spilled tea on my MacBook Pro, I shut it down immediately, turned it upside down and shook it gently. Then I put a towel on the keyboard, closed it, turn it upside down and left it for a couple of hours. Removed the towel and air-dried the keyboard. Worked perfectly afterwards.

But the second time I spilled a glass of water in it, I did the same things but lost the use of two keys. But this time there was so much water in it, water ran out the battery case on the bottom.

Bought a new MacBook Pro but kept the old one around, just in case.

I NEVER put any glass or cup of liquid anywhere near my laptop now. Expensive lesson.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm ashamed to admit I had 2 other minor liquid spills over the 3 years I owned the macbook
Both times I pulled the battery out, waited 48 hours for it to dry out and it was okay. Not so lucky this time.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have even more good news for you.. It is very likely the data on the hard drive, including bookmarks and the like, is still there.. Though since your new computer is a Gates, not a Jobs powered, recovery won't be all that easy.

But there are programs which can read both formats.. And all you need is a shell for the Mac's drive to recover it.. Knoppix should be able to read mac files and write them to Doze drives.

If you use FireFox with built in SYNC.. You may have already recovered your bookmarks and password files.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every once in a while I think I know a little (very little) something about computers then I read what others do with them and really come to the understanding I'm in the same league as "Schultz"

Quote:
I know nothing!
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #25

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
"Once you go Mac, you can't go back", is a great slogan. I have been an I-T manager and thought the world revolved around PC's, but once I got a Mac Book -- SPOILED. Usually a spill won't get into the hard drive, if you turn it upside down quickly and pull the battery. Give it a day to dry and with luck it will come back to life. If not, get the hard drive out. You can find some good deals on MacBook Pros on Ebay. Be careful about the transaction and use PayPal for protection. Then you can take the old hard drive and the new-to-you machine to a Mac repair place and they can move your files for you. I have bought two this way and both have been exceptional/ One even had Apple care still in effect. Just some ideas for you. Sorry fr your loss. I would cry.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I should point out something about Knoppix.. It is a LINUX program, (Actually an LINUX distribution) This particular version is designed to boot from CD, so you download the image, burn a cd, stick the CD in your drive turn off and back on your computer.. now you have a computer that IN THEORY can read/write Linux, Windows, DOS and MAC files.

Acronis True Image may also be able to read/write Mac files.. I DO NOT KNOW. This is a back up program.. Very handy on occasion.

I could use another laptop of some kind.. I'd really love to get my hands on the proper R-31 Thinkpad provided it has a damaged display. But alas, There are several R-31's. And I don't have $$$$ to pay for it .
Old 11-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Every once in a while I think I know a little (very little) something about computers then I read what others do with them and really come to the understanding I'm in the same league as "Schultz"
I'm with John.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
As much as I would like to own a Mac - I just cannot justify the Late Steve Jobs 1500-2000 dollar pricing when I can go to Best buy or even Wally World and for not a lot of money, buy a pretty nice Toshiba - which I just did. I wasn't lucky enough to get one for two hundred bucks, but did find one for three hundred and change at Walmart. This replaces an 8 year old Dell that has some config problems that may not be repairable - tho I will be spending some more time with it soon. While the new one doesn't have an Intel processor, it does have my personal favorite, an AMD (now Global Foundries)/320Gb hard drive/Windows 64bit 7/ DVD writer/integrated SD card slot and a 15.6" screen. I've dumped most of the bloatware, including replacing that boat anchor and archaic NORTON and so far am totally happy with it. I am going to put in more RAM to up the speed a bit as it does take a bit of time to "think".
$1500-2000 for the same Intel hardware running that far less expensive Toshiba .

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote