Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Macbook Drowned to Death!

Yes, it was a sad day... it happened about 4 weeks ago. Sitting at the dinette in my MH, surfing the web and drinking a glass of water. I sat the glass next to the laptop and for some forgotten reason I quickly reached for something and spilled a full glass of water directly into the keyboard of the Mac
ARGGG! In one swift moment all of my passwords, bookmarks and important data gone
Surely this would not have happened if I had a cup holder at the table? Truth is I did have a cup holder at the table but in a moment of laziness I set the glass right next to my beloved Macbook. One of the nicest laptops I have ever owned wiped out from shear laziness

Now that I'm not working and I'm on a fixed income, I can't quite justify going to the Apple store and plopping down 1500 bucks to replace it. I was occasionally using my wife's laptop whenever I could pry it out of her hands, but basically I had no computer for a month!
At first it was kind of fun... I read a lot of books, got some projects done and spent as much time outdoors as I could, but one rainy day I was just too board and I had to make a decision. Should I take money out of savings or should I buy a cheap laptop. After weighing the consequences (DW said noway to new Mac) I voted for the later.
I went online and searched for Black Friday laptops and Best Buy came up with a 2 day special for $199.00. I quickly followed the link and it showed 2 available at my local store, I bought it online and drove out to pick it up sight unseen.
Wow! I was not expecting much for 200 bucks and I was pleasantly surprised with what I got. A 14" LCD screen, 2.3 GHz Intel processor running Windows 7 (64 bit version) 4 gigs of ram, 320 gig hard drive, skype camera, multi card reader and DVD multi drive. A far cry better then the last Windows machine I bought a few years ago for quite a bit more $$$.

Anyway, the reason I wanted to post this was for anyone that uses their laptops while drinking a beverage...It's definitely not worth the headache to spill water on your computer and have to replace it with a new one, even if they are much cheaper then they used to be

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lesson we may all do well to learn, Thank you.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You could have justified the spill if it had been a Corona or Bud light.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
What are you going to do with the Mac?
Old 11-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you given up on it? Put it in the Sun every day for a couple weeks and let it dry out. Then fire it up and see what happens. Also, after it is dry and if it doesn't power up, consider pulling the hard drive and putting it in a hard drive enclosure, plugging it into another MAC's usb port and see if your data is still available. The worse you can get for doing it is not worse than what you have now.

I run an iMAC at home and a PC laptop on the road. I just installed VMWare Fusion 4 on the iMAC and I can now run Windows on it. I have a few Windows programs that I want to be able to run on the iMAC.

Good luck. You will be satisfied with the PC, but it's not a MAC. I feel your pain.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Sorry about the spill. Did you call Applecare? They may have some suggestions for you. I have the service so don't have to pay for the call, but they are so good at what they do, it might be worth a few dollars for the service call. They have never let me down. Maybe you could just replace the hard drive or something else. I use Carbonite so everything on my computer is backed up at all times. (sorry, I know that doesn't help you at the moment) Anyway, AppleCare 800-275-2273

Here is a site that might be able to help you. The Official "I spilled liquid in my MacBook, what do I do now?" thread. - Mac-Forums.com Good luck.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
IC2

As much as I would like to own a Mac - I just cannot justify the Late Steve Jobs 1500-2000 dollar pricing when I can go to Best buy or even Wally World and for not a lot of money, buy a pretty nice Toshiba - which I just did. I wasn't lucky enough to get one for two hundred bucks, but did find one for three hundred and change at Walmart. This replaces an 8 year old Dell that has some config problems that may not be repairable - tho I will be spending some more time with it soon. While the new one doesn't have an Intel processor, it does have my personal favorite, an AMD (now Global Foundries)/320Gb hard drive/Windows 64bit 7/ DVD writer/integrated SD card slot and a 15.6" screen. I've dumped most of the bloatware, including replacing that boat anchor and archaic NORTON and so far am totally happy with it. I am going to put in more RAM to up the speed a bit as it does take a bit of time to "think".
Old 11-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
What are you going to do with the Mac?
Ha Ha, interesting you should ask. After I took it apart and cleaned and dried everything I still couldn't get it to work so I took it in to the Apple store. They checked it out and found the mother board fried and gave me a estimate of about $1200 to fix it.
I took the hard drive out and connected it to a Sata/usb cable and was able to recover my data, but no way to cross platform it back to Windows. Everything has to be manually entered from the mac files.
Thinking about selling the macbook (less the hard drive) for parts on craigslist.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
John,

Have you tried "Open Office"?

For any of the office suite of programs, Open Office has worked for me in cross platform. Well, for spreadsheets and documents. I never tried it for other Office apps.

It's free.

p.s., What password app were you using, and what browser program? Most likely all the information is still on the HD. I just need to know the APP for knowing where to look.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the reply Wayne,
You're right some docs will open cross platform like Word, Photoshop and so on. It's the Mac specific programs that can not be opened on Windows like Keychain (my password program) and all the Mac programs like Page, iworks, address book etc.
Luckily with the Sata/usb cable attached to the hard drive I can manually see all the files with a Mac desktop unit I have access to. Just need a lot of time to transfer all the info.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #11

Sad day!

We woke up one morning to discover a leak in our slideout, directly above my MacBook Air. It was sitting in a puddle. After drying out everything I could, I put it in front of a fan for 2 days. I used my work Dell in the meantime, and couldn't stand it! Windows will have to make some major changed to get my money, the Air is worth every penny of what she cost. I was lucky that nothing really appeared to happen to it. The battery is being a little funny now (use it for 3 hours unplugged, and it takes 17 hours to charge) but I haven't decided if I'm willing to let a 'genius' touch it.

As mentioned above-Carbonite is more than worth it. I have that on the work computer, and it has saved me. Power surge at a jobsite fried the motherboard, all my data was quickly replaced. On the Mac I'm always plugging in an external for the Time Machine to back up my data. $55 for a year of backup made me cringe at first, then I thought about what my data was worth.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I actually had the macbook backed up, but learned I am not doing it often enough. I will be backing up much more often now. (since I now have an extra hard drive)
I had the quiver and shakes when I realized I had to switch to Windows. I have been a faithful machead for about 20 years. I've had little experience with Windows through the years, just enough to keep DW's laptop out of the shop.
I know this sounds crazy, but Windows 7 isn't that bad. I have configured it to run much like OS10. My son looked at my new computer and said "you have this set up to run just like a Mac" He has always been a Windows guy and does not care for the mac environment. It actually amazed him that the mouse pad is able to perform 2 finger scrolling and 2 finger zooming just like a mac.
I also "degunked" the system/hard drive of all the crapware including Snorton. I replaced Internet Explorer with Firefox and customized it to my liking. I do not run any commercial versions of anti virus programs, just the free version from Microsoft and it runs fast. The rest of my protection is provided by Firefox add ons, like Ad Block and No Script.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #13

At least when my daughters mother-in-law spilled a drink and fried my laptop last year it was with a rum and coke.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry to hear about your mishap.

If you still have it you could try taking it to a authorized apple repair center and get their thoughts and costs.

We had the same thing happen to my Wife's Mac Book Pro with tea and honey mixture. Fortunately we have everything backed up up on our Time Capsule.

I eventually sold the laptop for $650 to a builder. Imagine a broken laptop selling for that much.

Can't compare Apple to PC with the applications that we use for photography along the synchronization with our iPhones and calendars.

[moderator edit]

Best of luck with your future purchases.

Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote