Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My New Project

I just got this 1965 18' Glastron speedboat. It is totally sea worthy with no cracks or leaks but the engine (Mercury 900) doesn't run and the controls are old and spent. It's all fiberglass but it needs a little TLC. I only spent $200 for everything including 2 gas tanks, a side ladder, an anchor, and the trailer which is in good shape. If I can get the engine going it would be huge but I have my doubts because it seems frozen but I haven't taken it apart yet. It was taken into salt water and not washed off. I'm looking for a manual for the outboard engine for the Mercury 900 (unknown year). I know boats can become money pits but I would love to get this baby back out on the lake. Anyone know about fixing up boats? All tips and comments welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_2182.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	17026  

Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Appalachian Campers
see if there is anything here that would help you. Mercury Marine Outboard Service Manuals PDF Download

My neighbor had a Mercury marine and Ranger boat dealership and just closed the doors last week/

doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I'd contact a boat mechanic experienced in outboards. Being it's a 65', no telling how long the outboard engine has been locked up. They would know some best procedures for getting it to move without possibly damaging anything salvageable.
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to www.iboats.com they have sections on repair and maintenance of all brands of engines and also how to make the boat look like new. As a boat owner I spend as much time on there as I do on irv2.

2006 Sea Breeze LX 8341 on a Workhorse W22 Chassis with 22.5 Alcoa Alum wheels,
2011 Chevy Colorado 4X4 with Ready Brake
Glenn and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
As a used to be outboard mechanic, unbolt, sell for scrap,find used motor running and go from there. Other posts show sites for maintenance. I have rebuilt 100's in the past. If it has sat long time bearings froze to crankshaft. Used crankshaft ten years ago, about $200. Good lucking hull
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Old boat purchased for good price. Only needs a little of this and a little of that. Been there, done that. You do remember that BOAT stands for Bring On Another Thousand. Not to discourage. I had a great time with my old boat and a great time in rebuilding it. Good luck.

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
"Been there, done that. You do remember that BOAT stands for Bring On Another Thousand. Not to discourage."

Ohhh palease! Look at the pot calling the kettle black. Mr. RV owner
Wore out, Fed up and done! IT's PLAY TIME
1999 Monaco Windsor 40PB
tylerdmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i have a '72 merc 850 on a '72 thompson trihull. strong motor, but LOUD!!! typical merc from days gone by. mine needs some ignition work. and some time to do it...
1999 Winnebago Minnie 29', Ford V10, Close to stock.
W4MBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
Two great times in a guys' life - when you buy a boat and when you sell it.

Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote