Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #1

My New TomTom

I am not a technologically challenged person. I am fairly internet and technically savvy. But for some reason, I've been bullheaded up 'til now on getting a GPS.

Finally I went ahead and bought a TomTom GPS and am in love with that thing. Although not technologically challenged, I have always been directionally challenged which makes it even more curious as to why I was so against a GPS.

I recently went on a cross country trip alone and had to do a lot of driving. That thing is ... AWESOME! Never will I be without it again!

I am sure most here have had GPS and use it often. Since it is new to me, I just felt the need to say wow. I got on the wrong interstate the other day in a very busy and unfamiliar city and it navigated me right back on track. Worth every penny. lol

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #2

Congratz on the GPS. I don't know how Louis & Clark made it without one.

When I told my GF that I was planning to buy an RV, she was excited about all the trips she would be able to take with me. Until... As a happy gift, she bought me a huge R&M Atlas of the USA. I laughed at it and said, "Why do I need an Atlas when I have GPS?" She was really upset about that. She said that she loves maps and a map will never let you down. That's when I told her, she will be my best co-pilot. lol

I have used almost all brands of GPS. I have a CarPC in my (her) Kia Soul. 10.5" touchscreen in the dash and professional sound system. I am really happy with iGO gps. Has really nice graphics, lane assist, and up-to-date POIs. I used to use Garmin but, their maps of the South were over 7 years old. Sadly, almost all maps are old on all GPS units. NavTec is getting better about updating. I've heard rumor that Google is about to start producing Maps. Before long, Google is going to out do Microsoft. lol

I use TomTom on my 4.5" no-name GPS unit in my "Beater" Ranger. Even if I'm just traveling to town (8 miles away). Somehow I just feel naked without seeing that little red arrow.

Here's to many Waypoints in your future.
Todd

Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Aren't they great? Our Tom Tom 910 has guided us through 34 states and nearly 40000 miles and only once led us a bit astray. Absolutely worth every penny. Be sure to check out some of the alternate voices that are available. We have one from "Mullet Man" who speaks in a heavy southern drawl and uses cute little sayings while giving directions... and another, "Sylvia" who, well let's say is "rated R" because of her embellishments to directions.

Don't feel badly about not converting sooner. I retired after 33 years in the hi-tech industry and my cell phone is so old I'm surprised it doesn't have a rotary dial!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Aren't they great? Our Tom Tom 910 has guided us through 34 states and nearly 40000 miles and only once led us a bit astray. Absolutely worth every penny. Be sure to check out some of the alternate voices that are available. We have one from "Mullet Man" who speaks in a heavy southern drawl and uses cute little sayings while giving directions... and another, "Sylvia" who, well let's say is "rated R" because of her embellishments to directions.

Don't feel badly about not converting sooner. I retired after 33 years in the hi-tech industry and my cell phone is so old I'm surprised it doesn't have a rotary dial!

Rick

Funny thing is, I have always had the most up to date cell phone with all the bells and whistles, but couldn't wrap my head around getting a GPS. LOL I have had a few friends tell me about those alternate voices, I am definitely going to check that out.

I actually think I need one that talks to me as in "YOU IDIOT! If you miss one more turn I am revoking your license!" Keep me in line.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorppro View Post

When I told my GF that I was planning to buy an RV, she was excited about all the trips she would be able to take with me. Until... As a happy gift, she bought me a huge R&M Atlas of the USA. I laughed at it and said, "Why do I need an Atlas when I have GPS?" She was really upset about that. She said that she loves maps and a map will never let you down. That's when I told her, she will be my best co-pilot. lol

I have used almost all brands of GPS. I have a CarPC in my (her) Kia Soul. 10.5" touchscreen in the dash and professional sound system. I am really happy with iGO gps. Has really nice graphics, lane assist, and up-to-date POIs. I used to use Garmin but, their maps of the South were over 7 years old. Sadly, almost all maps are old on all GPS units. NavTec is getting better about updating. I've heard rumor that Google is about to start producing Maps. Before long, Google is going to out do Microsoft. lol

I use TomTom on my 4.5" no-name GPS unit in my "Beater" Ranger. Even if I'm just traveling to town (8 miles away). Somehow I just feel naked without seeing that little red arrow.

Todd
Thanks Todd! I hated geography all through school so me and a map is about as congruent as Martha Stewart and a rock concert. lol

I think I will also begin to feel 'naked' soon without maggie (that is what I named her, for magellan even though its a TomTom lol). I've even been using it on routes I know, just because I've had so much fun with it. I like the fact that it will update on the PC rather easily so as to not become outdated.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have a buddy from Australia who was here a few years ago with his GPS with attitude. Too funny but no where near Politically Correct. The voice system is only available for Australian units.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Todd
Todd
You may want to look up your Garmin on their website and see if there are updates for it. I have a Garmin that is 6-7 yrs old, but bought the 'lifetime updates' for $99.00 and get an email from them 3-4 times a year with new map updates. Next one will be a Garmin truck series to add coach size for better routing.
Happy RVing
Chuck
Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #8

With all the iPhones and Android smartphones available, I'm afraid stand-alone GPS units might go the way of the 8 track. Laptop and CarPC GPS software is getting harder and harder to find.

I'm waiting for the day we have virtual heads-up displays on the dashboards and "Tell" the vehicle "Home James." Then I can change my name to: Todd Jetson, my RV "Elroy" :-P
Old 02-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just love mine, especially when it directed me in my 40 foot MoHo towing a car down town Manhattan. How about going to Pizza to a parlor thats been closed for 7 years. Yep they're a lot of fun.

Don
Old 02-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats on the purchase of the GPS and glad it's worked out for you. We were basically the same as you until we received one as a gift for Christmas from our kids. I'll tell you what it has really helped in navigating especially going thru unfamiliar large cities. Being on the freeway in a strange city and knowing, yeah OK our next exit is coming up but on what side of the freeway do we exit? Having this device and it showing you exit strategy as far as left or right exits is just GREAT. Nothing worse than trying to cross over 3-4 lanes at the last minute to get off the freeway. Do remember though they are NOT faultless.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:15 AM   #11

Carolina Campers
Quote:
With all the iPhones and Android smartphones available, I'm afraid stand-alone GPS units might go the way of the 8 track. Laptop and CarPC GPS software is getting harder and harder to find.

I'm waiting for the day we have virtual heads-up displays on the dashboards and "Tell" the vehicle "Home James." Then I can change my name to: Todd Jetson, my RV "Elroy" :-P
Maybe in the future, but I don't thinks so now. I have 2 turn by turn GPS apps on my Android but I just purchased another Garmin Nuvi. Problem is that using the navigation drains the battery pretty fast (car chargers get my battery VERY hot after a little bit) and it's based on cell coverage. Living in the foothills of NC, service is VERY spotty in some areas and if I don't have service the navigation doesn't work. I agree it probably will happen one day, but I still like my dedicated nav. unit.
lunatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #12

Quote:

:-P

That is going to be awhile before smartphones entirely replace GPS. My droid is GpS capable, but I am not bothering to set up that app. As has been said, it drains the battery and two, the screen is WAY TOO SMALL. The GPS can be suctioned anywhere I like and the screen and text is five times bigger than the Droid text.

EVERY piece of technology we use will eventually become the next "8 track" but that doesn't stop me from using them while they are useful. LOL
Old 02-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Congrats on the purchase of the GPS and glad it's worked out for you. We were basically the same as you until we received one as a gift for Christmas from our kids. I'll tell you what it has really helped in navigating especially going thru unfamiliar large cities. Being on the freeway in a strange city and knowing, yeah OK our next exit is coming up but on what side of the freeway do we exit? Having this device and it showing you exit strategy as far as left or right exits is just GREAT. Nothing worse than trying to cross over 3-4 lanes at the last minute to get off the freeway. Do remember though they are NOT faultless.
That is exactly how it helped me in this last trip - on busy freeways that I had never been on.

I do keep in mind they are not faultless, I am sure for as much as Maggie keeps me on track there will be that one day she gives me a wrong turn. I guess I will have to forgive her.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The one time our Tom Tom led us astray was actually kind of comical once we got over the shock. Somewhere in Wyoming, while supposedly leading us to a CG, it took us on to a narrow dirt road and said we had one mile to go. After heading down the road and discovering it was just an access road to several ranches out that way... she proudly announced "you have reached your destination".

After unhooking and getting turned around (no simple task) we did have a good laugh.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote