Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally we hate the self service check outs! (that means jobs lost) We have in the past liked Penney's sad to see that they haven't kept up with their customers!

06 Adventurer 38R

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #16
It's a tough market. Fierce competition with the walmarts, meijers, Marshall's, kohls, etc.
Not a market I want to sell in.

Kunysz513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wouldn't mind self serve checkouts if they offered an additional 10% off for using them. But NOOOO, they have to get all greedy and try to educate the public on how this is the wave of the future.
If I have to bag my own groceries etc I'm sure as heck not using the self serve lanes with no additional discount.
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
Another word
TX2Harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #19
Originally Posted by GWinger View Post
Makes no diff to me as I haven't shopped at JC Penny (or "jcp" as they like to call themselves now) since they dropped their tool line.
Slightly off topic but Penncraft tools?

Penncraft. It was one of the first tool sets I owned. My mother bought them for me when I was 12 years old so I could fix the family car. (my dad was off on another of his TDY deployments). I still have and use these tools today even though I also have several Snap-On rollaways. Penncraft 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 socket sets and some combination wrenches. The 1/2 ratchet broke but the remainder are part of my most favorite tools. Had them for over 40 years - try that with Kobalt or Harbor Freight.
2004 Silverado Duramax Six-Pac Camper
1999 Coachman Leprechaun
2010 ATC Race Car Trailer
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
National RV Owners Club
I think that it's US the consumers that have driven many of the retailers to take some of the measures they have taken. And not to be hypocritical, I include myself in "US". We, for the most part, demand the lowest price for the best quality. If we don't get the best price, we shop someplace else. No one can deny that we've got plenty of options for shopping. So then the retailer that's behind sales projections has to figure a way to become more lean. There's plenty of things they can do, self check out is just one. I don't know what a self check set up costs, vs a register operated by a person, but a register that requires 12 man hours a day to operate, will cost that company over $500 a week to operate, just in wages.

I don't like the darn things either, but I understand why they exist.

I'm only scratching the surface of a very interesting subject. GLOBAL ECONOMICS. I'll be interested in seeing more posts. How many posts before "China" gets brought into a post.
Harley Ultra Classic (Geezer Glide) Rider, Retired US Army Paratrooper, fisherman, shooter. Proud to have served, proud of those that still do, or have done so with pride.
2005 National Dolphin 34'
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #21
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I quit shopping at JC Penney a couple of years ago when they stopped carrying certain clothing in my size in the stores. I tried to order online and the morons bungled my shipping address, twice (I caught it the first time and they promised to fix it only to bungle it again), and, despite promises to fix the problem, they sent the order to a wrong address. I got a refund from them, eventually, and ordered elsewhere.

It's a pity since JC Penney used to be a nice store but they have really gone downhill, along with Sears and Monkey Ward (and we saw what happened to Wards).

Ditto. It doesn't matter how flashing the duds are. If they don't have it in my size, it doesn't really matter. Penney's, in a different era, seemed to have things I wanted to by. JCP has things that fit other people. More power to them.
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #22
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Just one word.... SEARS

Ok another word KHOLS
one more (or two): COSTCO/SAMS
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gee, all these one more words. SAMs, Costco, Walmart, and whoever else. Until recently J C Penny gave you quality and service similar to Macy's and other such stores. the number of people who can actually afford to shop at these stores is shrinking. Something has to give, and we all know employees are the biggest expense any retailer has to deal with.

All the upscale people are now flocking to Costco because they have a marketing concept that sucks you in and gets you to buy things you had no intention of buying.
We can go to Costco, push around a cart, buy things for virtually the same price as jC penny's. We get no real customer service, and after we are done, we can wait in lines or go two the self-checkout line.

J C PENNY'S is trying to keep a department store experience, but their customer base is shrinking due to deteriorating market conditions. I would hate to be the new CEO Trying to turn that business model around.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #24
I agree, jock Penne' has been ruined.
Earlier this year, Do to a family funeral I needed a suit that actually fit me. Figured I could grab something quick at jcp as they always had a great selection. Wrong. Their men's department inventory would have made the local flea market embarrassed.

Hundreds of 'suit' pants without matching suit coats and the reverse. etc
Total disorganized mess.
2010 Allegro RED 36 QSA
GMC Envoy 4x4
SW Michigan to Alaska in 2015
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #25
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Last thing I bought from JC Pennys was made of poliester and had bell bottoms
Don't pray for a blessing--Pray to be a blessing.
2006 Holiday Rambler Endavor 40 footer
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #26
It was Kohls. What's with there 30% coupons my wife and here employees share. I don't get it, but she goes nuts. When she buys crap she don't need her excuse is "I got it on sale". She's nuts.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #27
I love Kohls and they have similar styled clothing to JCP. Last time I was at JCP, I could barely understand the cashier. I'm not prejudiced but I do expect people dealing with the public to speak English well enough to understand them. They gave me a survey on my receipt to fill out and I shared my comments with them for what it's worth. I ended up returning the item I bought and the same cashier waited on me. Guess I'll stick to Kohls from now on.
Dreaming of a Class C. Short list: 2009 Winnebago Outlook 30D; 2012 Winnebago Aspect 28B; 2012 Coachmen Concord 301SS
Mamadubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #28
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
"Leisure Suits"

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote