Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I no longer watch. The racers have more rules than drivers and none make much sense. The cars are as far from "Stock" as they possibly can be so maybe they should change the name.

At one time the cars were street legal, now they all are identical but with different decals, kind of a cruel joke, ain't it?
I must say I agree 100%. Back to the good old day's with the cars and Dirt tracks, the day's of Fireball Roberts and Tiny Lund, A.J.Foyt......Oh crap, I've went and given up my age. Loved to watch those boys on dirt at Langhorne.

1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #16

I once read that Smokey was being inspected by the tech committe for his gas tank capacity. They took the tank out and he made a complete lap without it, seems there were no rules at that time on the size and length of the fuel line

Old 03-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #17

I don't think the penalty is much of a big deal. 25 points? But it all gets reset into the Chase, and you can finish 10th in points to make that.

To me, if you want penalties to have bite, it should be 25 points now (to handle the smaller teams and keep them honest) and 25 points in the Chase (to keep folks like the 48 team on their toes).

I don't know if this particular penalty was valid -- and I've heard many different opinions -- but my thoughts have been for a while that, for the big teams, if you don't lose Chase points, the penalty is ultimately "a nothin"

Steve
Old 03-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not including the post-Daytona 500 penalty, Chad Knaus has been fined $193,500 from seven previous incidents and suspended for a total of 10 races. Knaus is facing a $100,000 fine and a six-race suspension for his latest violation (pending appeal), his first since 2007.

Is he a innovator or cheater ?????? Whatever the case he keeps getting Caught !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And he said he was "deeply saddened" -- and surprised -- that the car he helped prepare for the Daytona 500 was found by NASCAR officials to be illegally modified.

Lets see reread the top of my post

so lets add up the fines here 193,500 from past violations and the new 100,000 fine thats 293,500 i sure could buy a nice coach and travel to all the races with that money LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I have been a long time NASCAR fan but they are about to lose me. They seem to make the rules up as they go along and some of the race finishes are starting to remind me of pro wrestling.
I agree.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If what I've heard is true the violation was discovered right off the hauler and it fit the templates. Nascar didn't like the way it "looked", so they made them change the pilars. Seems like Nascar is making the rules as they go and if you're a big team the penalty is large. Junior Johnson always said "it aint cheatin if you don't get caught".
Being retired means you can put off till tomorrow what you could have done today
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2RVn View Post
If what I've heard is true the violation was discovered right off the hauler and it fit the templates. Nascar didn't like the way it "looked", so they made them change the pilars. Seems like Nascar is making the rules as they go and if you're a big team the penalty is large. Junior Johnson always said "it aint cheatin if you don't get caught".
Being retired means you can put off till tomorrow what you could have done today

I agree it aint cheating unless you get caught ...Problem for him is this is the 8th time he has been caught in the last 5 years
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wonder if the fine and penalty would have been levied if say, the wheel base on the car was 1/2 inch longer or shorter than the rule book specifies. I thought the reason for the pre-race inspections was to prevent these infractions,thereby making all the cars equal before racing against each other. The illegal pillar was found during this pre-race inspection, and the car did not pass. The pillar was replaced with one with the correct profile, re-inspected and passed before the race. I would think a fine and penalty would be more appropriate if the car raced with the illegal profile on the pillar and was discovered after the race was over. Anyway JMHO on the subject.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I no longer watch. The racers have more rules than drivers and none make much sense. The cars are as far from "Stock" as they possibly can be so maybe they should change the name.

At one time the cars were street legal, now they all are identical but with different decals, kind of a cruel joke, ain't it?

My thoughts exactly ! Too many rules to try and make the cars equal, bring back stock bodies and let the drivers and cars race on their own without all the "rules".
Remember the Hemi, too fast so ban it. Mopars winged cars, too fast ban them.
I don't care to watch 43 identical "kit cars" go around the track all bunched up because the rules say they must all be the same to be competitive.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I wonder if the fine and penalty would have been levied if say, the wheel base on the car was 1/2 inch longer or shorter than the rule book specifies. I thought the reason for the pre-race inspections was to prevent these infractions,thereby making all the cars equal before racing against each other. The illegal pillar was found during this pre-race inspection, and the car did not pass. The pillar was replaced with one with the correct profile, re-inspected and passed before the race. I would think a fine and penalty would be more appropriate if the car raced with the illegal profile on the pillar and was discovered after the race was over. Anyway JMHO on the subject.
My thoughts exactly. Next they'll be getting fined for thinking about something.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #25
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Knauss et al are working the Phoenix race right now. The entire matter is under appeal and who knows how the 3 man appeal panel will rule.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #26

Nasty-Car, sorta makes any rule they want. It used to be fun to watch the races. Now days you can't tell what is what if don't see the name on the car! I give the 48 crew my whole support, they are trying to find ways to win, in a sport where the only way to win is for the other guys to take each other out!