Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #15

All racing is entertainment. A lot of differences are the degree of manipulation by the sanctioning bodies. I occasionally watch NASCAR on TV, but think this series has excessive and inconsistent manipulation. Example; the occasional appearances of mystery French driver "Pierre Debris".

Have you seen the bumper sticker that says "Too dumb for the opera, but too smart for NASCAR"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
Unfortunately, it's a sign of the times. I'm a former NASCAR fan who still watches an occasional race as I did last Saturday (I drove Richmond in one of the Petty schools). I've been a Mike Waltrip fan since he, Ken Schrader, and Johnny Benson had the weekly post race show. Unfortunately, NASCAR is now just money, not racing. The France family has taken it in the wrong direction with admitting Toyota, the Lucky Dog free pass, debris cautions when certain drivers are the first car a lap down and as somebody already said, The Race for the Chase. Sponsor money talks and fills the France family accounts. Penalties have never been fair or equal, depends on the team involved. This appears to be another example. If it proves to be true, Mike Waltrip will have no credibility and will be through with racing.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Born and raised at Daytona Beach, even watched Joe Weatherly race around the north turn on the beach as a kid! I personally knew "big" Bill France. No doubt he is rolling over in his grave. Not anything but an occasional viewer these days. Give me Fireball Roberts set up with Smokey Yunick's black and gold Pontiac this car would leave em' all in the dust.

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #17

So if a driver goes into richmond knowing he only has to place 35th or better to clinch and he plays it safe and does not race his hardest to insure he doesn't wreck out, isn't he manipulating the outcome of a race??? Talk about your gray areas. If you don't want teams to manipulate a race this way, then the rule needs to be "one team, one car". They are team mates after all.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
So if a driver goes into richmond knowing he only has to place 35th or better to clinch and he plays it safe and does not race his hardest to insure he doesn't wreck out, isn't he manipulating the outcome of a race??? Talk about your gray areas. If you don't want teams to manipulate a race this way, then the rule needs to be "one team, one car". They are team mates after all.
I disagree, he is insuring his place but in no way controlling the other 42 cars or the outcome of the race.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just another nail in NASCAR's coffin. It isn't racing watching 43 cars follow each other round and round. only lead changes happen due to "Pitting" . We've bben loyal fans , but NO More! Last SPRING TALLADEGA saw a dramatic drop in attendance. even campers stayed away. Now this with MWR will help to further kill Nascar. He should of been suspended for a year. stupid code words and watching him gloat at end of race. All his drivers should of been suspended and then put on probation for a year, same goes for pit crews. did you see the look on Logonas face? He knew exactly what went on. they should of refigured the end of the race where the spin took place. Finish order would of Had Newman winning, Gordon into chase by one point (EARNED POINT) and the FIX would of been fixed. No more NASCAR events for us in person or even on TV..... safe travels ed
Old 09-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
Commercial Member

until they have no multiple car teams, this will always happen.
there should be one owner, one car. the old way.
teams will always work to together when it comes down to
one of their own.
i have watched nascar since 1952.
lots of changes not all for the good.,
maybe a driver shouldnt be allowed to race for a very long time for
antics like this
Old 09-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm watching an interview with Michael Waltrip ... he says:

Quote:
We've seen poeple give up positions all the time in this sport to give a teammate a point
Quote:
We've seen the leader pull over so another guy can lead
These are 100% accurate statements ... giving up a spot for a teammate happens regularly in NASCAR, and likely many other forms of racing where you have teammates.

So the 55 gave up a position so that the 56 could gain a point during a "critical" race.

What if the 56 gave up the lead for the 55 during the race at New Hampshire in June? That would equal 1 point.

I don't necessarily agree that NASCAR made the right decision - but as a fan, I know expect NASCAR to apply justic equally across all races and teams. I expect them to step up to the plate and monitor every race to make sure a teammate doesn't do anything to "give" a point to another teammate - whether it's pitting early, pulling over so a teammate can lead a lap, etc

I'm still a fan as I love cars, motorsports and the vibe of a race weekend (when we attend them)
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
What if the 56 gave up the lead for the 55 during the race at New Hampshire in June? That would equal 1 point.
Excellent point.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WWF of nascar version.
They should give the win to Newman also. Seeing that Edwards jumped the restart.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was a avid fan and Not nearly as much in the last 10 years. Haven't been to a race for over 15 years.

This spec racer stuff (all cars look the same) is why Indy cars, and Formula 1 have not caught on like NASCAR has here in the States.
Personally I do not think Toyota should have EVER been allowed on the track With their engine they just made up out of the blue. NOTHING on it Ever fit any street driven vehicle they have ever sold.
NASCAR is slowly dying out. Just look at the TV coverage and it is hidden well but you can see the empty seats if you watch close.

How I would fix Some of it is this. unsold tickets starting a week before a race the price starts to drop. All the way to $10 per seat. I'd bet those $10 per seat fan spend money on shirts, food, drinks,.....
Then I'd take ALL the money that goes to the champ at the end of the years and divide it up to race winners EVERY week. Or put it toward say half way money or given to leader of Each and Every lap.
Then true consistency would pay off. To heck with the points system.

The only thing more goofy than a Toyota NASCAR race car is when I see the Toyota stickers on a Top Fuel Dragster.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #25

I was a long time fan.... I watched part of 1 race in the last , I do t know, 6 7 8 yrs. the points thing is so stupid.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #26

My heart is really in drag racing, NHRA has followed NASCAR with the points BS, I haven't been an NHRA member for about 5 yrs now I'd say, after being a member for about 20 yrs.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You're not cheatin' til you're caught! Gordon should have been the other driver to get in the chase. And drag racing? could never figure out run what you brung but make sure you put the brakes on at the end so you don't go too fast and break out. Drive the SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #28

That's bracket , or index racing