Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I saw that today. Does that mean that MWR gets a $300,000 fine and no probation?
I disagree with the differing penalties. I feel the MWR penalties are unfairly harsh - when compared to the FRR and Penske penalties - for what I feel are all too similar actions.

I will say that NASCAR has made a significant attempt with rules changes today to make this type of thing more of a black and white issue that they can officiate against.

Quote:
NASCAR CEO and Chairman Brian France and NASCAR President Mike Helton said a technical bulletin will be released later Saturday, updating the rule book with rule 12-4(l). The rule reads, in part, that “NASCAR requires its competitors to race at 100 percent of their ability” and that artificially altering the finishing position subject to penalty.
They have also severly tightened the reigns on spotters. It's interesting to see how this effects the plate racing at Talladega and Daytona.

Quote:
NASCAR Vice President of Competition Robin Pemberton said that rules changes concerning spotter communication will be in effect, starting with Sunday’s Geico 400, the opening round of the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup postseason. NASCAR will now allow just one spotter per team, and only two analog radios -- none digital -- will be permitted. Additionally, a camera will be mounted with a replay monitor to regulate any agreements made on the spotter stand.
And it seems that they will be taking action on restarts - likely out of all the controversy over Carl Edwards' restart last Saturday night.

Quote:
Pemberton also said that changes to the double-file restart procedures were forthcoming.
Aside from my opinion that the MWR penalties are too harsh, I like these new rule changes and feel they will improve the on-track racing, versus off-track (spotters stand and pit box) deal making.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #44

The funny part about all of this is , the drivers make a damn good living putting on a show for the fans and because of the actions of some teams they are shooting themselves in the foot for lack of better words. NASCAR has some hard work ahead if them but don't get me wrong I still like the fast cars , smell of the fuel, people watching, Hot Dogs ! Etc.... It's more than watching fast cars turn left just like any sport
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
The funny part about all of this is , the drivers make a damn good living putting on a show for the fans and because of the actions of some teams they are shooting themselves in the foot for lack of better words. NASCAR has some hard work ahead if them but don't get me wrong I still like the fast cars , smell of the fuel, people watching, Hot Dogs ! Etc.... It's more than watching fast cars turn left just like any sport
Agreed!

For those NASCAR haters out there ... the ones that say the drivers and pit crew are not athletes, and that all they do is drive in a circle. I tell them to go to ONE race in person, take in the day, or a weekend if you can, and then tell me what you think!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #46

“NASCAR requires its competitors to race at 100 percent of their ability”

Oh, this ought to be an interesting one to police. I can see it now. Well the number 88 could have passed the Number 45, but he chose not to. Well maybe he didn't want to chance the wreck. Hello fine and goodbye points. And as I mentioned earlier, if you only need a 36th at Richmond to lock yourself into the chase and you race safe, it is not to 100% of your ability. And it could have Chase implications for other drivers. This rule is way too subjective for me. If you think the conspiracy theorists are in full force now, just wait.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #47

What 2Labs said.

If a driver gets tired, he can't just pullover and rest. They're work-in' that steering wheel, gas and brake pedal all the time.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
“NASCAR requires its competitors to race at 100 percent of their ability”

Oh, this ought to be an interesting one to police. I can see it now. Well the number 88 could have passed the Number 45, but he chose not to. Well maybe he didn't want to chance the wreck.
Well since NASCAR moved to fuel injection in the Cup series, there is now all sorts of telemetry data that can be read. The teams have access to this data during testing, but don't have the ability to read it during a race.

NASCAR can read it in real-time during the race they can police this and officiate against it.

Yes - I am joking about policing using telemetry data, but your question brings up a valid point.

As I said before, NASCAR has opened Pandora's box and there is no closing it now or turning back.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amazing isn't it. Whenever there is money involved someone will find a way to cheat if there is not a rule in place that says they can't. Its called having integrity and moral character. As far as I am concerned NASCAR is being way to leanient on all concerned.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #50

Did anyone else notice that no penalties were mentioned during yesterday's news conference. This tells me Brian France will continue to had out different penalties for the same offense, depending on sponsor and car owner. How many times has crew chief Chad Knaus been put on probation for cheating. If France had a set of ----- to park the 48 for a few races, it would cure a lot of their problems and improve their image. Well, at least it would be a start.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Amazing isn't it. Whenever there is money involved someone will find a way to cheat if there is not a rule in place that says they can't. Its called having integrity and moral character. As far as I am concerned NASCAR is being way to leanient on all concerned.
If there isn't a rule against it, it isn't cheating. If there is a rule against something, it has to be enforceable. This one is not, unless we get telemetry which can read minds.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #52

What I don't understand is... when going through pre-race inspection, NASCAR finds something "different". Not against the rules, just different. They have to remove it, and still get hit with a penalty.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
What I don't understand is... when going through pre-race inspection, NASCAR finds something "different". Not against the rules, just different. They have to remove it, and still get hit with a penalty.
Just remember. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE $$$
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #54

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I think that after all the media attention this week that NASCAR should pay (silently or publicly) the monetary fines they gave to MWR.

Except for the dark week in 2001 when Dale Sr. died in a crash, I can't remember a time when NASCAR was talked about so much, in the news so much and had so much attention outside of the race weekend.

The sport of NASCAR certainly got more than $300,000 worth of media attention and TV time this week than they ever do during the week.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
... and I'm thiking that NASCAR had to find a way to get the 24 into the chase because they had all the Chase Striped Hats created with Jeff's name & number on them and they're not returnable
Old 09-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Or , get rid of the chase
X2
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote