Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #43

I have been to many NASCAR tracks and have enjoyed everyone of them. We have been going as a family to Watkins Glen for 25 years. We camp near turn 11 which has a spot called the "Berm". We can watch from there or from our reserved grandstand seats in turn 10.
Our camping costs $375 per site and our tickets for the reserved seating in the stands are $110 each.
We are allowed to pull into our sites Wednesday morning and have to leave Monday. Our grandstand tickets are for all the racing from Friday to Sunday.
Not a bad deal IMO.
Lynn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 10:24 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
Stands were empty again in California, last week. Crazy. Nascar needs to listen to their fans....quit changing all the rules, constantly, no speed limit on pit road, ok to race in misting rain, if you race in Cup Series, you don't race in Xfinity and Trucks.....

No one wants to watch wins with 3+ sec leads, single file racing and teams with the most cash, racing in all events to gain experience, knowledge over others...

Anyone else can add?

Yep I'll add quite a bit:
Quit changing the rules - agree.
No speed limit on pit road - you'll kill people. As likely the only person who has been over pit wall in a stock car race that will see this post, 45 or 55 mph is plenty fast enough. This is for safety not to maximize penalties.
Race in misting rain - once again you'll be putting lives at unnecessary risk and you won't have a race after about 5 laps because all of the cars will be wrecked.
No Xfinity or Truck if you race in Cup - The issue is butts in the seats. Folks will pay to see Jack Ass Busch or Brad Keslowski race in a truck or Xfinity race. It also lets the younger guys figure out exactly how good they are. Maybe the cup guys should start at the back. But I agree it is a double edged sword.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #45

I --WAS-- going to go to a NHRA Drag race where the big cars would be there. At Ennis Tx. Holy cow. I don't see how anyone would pay that. It was something like $65 a day just for parking and the passes were for all the days only. I don't remember the ticket cost but it would have been well over $1k each for me and my brother to go.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #46

you won't have a race after about 5 laps because all of the cars will be wrecked.

Now that would be great to watch. When I can catch it on TV that's what I wait for.

Look up Trailer Racing on YouTube. Now that's some fun stuff to watch.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback View Post
Went to a Formula 1 race in Austin years ago. The 3 day Parking Pass was airmailed from Austria and cost $375.00. Can't remember what grand stand seating was and faint at the thought of what a RV spot would cost!

We went to the last Good Sam Rally, down in Phoenix a few years ago - held at the race track. We were told that the trackside RV sites were priced at $4000 for the weekend during a race.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:59 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
I long for the days when the cars were running those 426/427/428 big blocks and dual 4 barrel carbs. The cars you saw on the track on Sunday could be recognised on the showroom floor on Monday.
Yep go the showroom Monday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66 - 426.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	239061  
Old 03-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #49

I saw this thread pop up again. I guess you have to ask what kind of auto racing fan you are. NASCAR and F1 have just priced me out. I need value for my money.

I pretty much like all the racing I can afford. If it has an engine and makes some great noise. I am there. But only within reason in regards to the cost of attendance.

A track side spot, Thursday to Monday, with two extra cars parking, four weekend tickets, all for the IMSA race at Watkins Glen cost me $470 bucks this year. The racing is better. The access to cars and drivers is phenomenal. There is more racing with various types of cars ALL day long for three days.

My full season trackside spot at Mid-Ohio with two tickets to all Mid-Ohio events cost me $1000. That is the possible cost of a single NASCAR race with RV camping for me and my two others.

With that pass I get these series, IMSA race , an INDY race, now two Rally Cross races, SVRA vintage race, and an Xfinity NASCAR event. Not to mention there is something going on practically every weekend down there from club racing to NASA national championships. So there is value in that.

But it truly all comes down to the fact that the racing at most of the events listed above is just better than any of the NASCAR that I have been to.

If NASCAR would lower the costs and not nickle and dime me for access to things, they may see my RV in line waiting to get in...
Old 03-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrons31 View Post
I saw this thread pop up again. I guess you have to ask what kind of auto racing fan you are. NASCAR and F1 have just priced me out. I need value for my money.

I pretty much like all the racing I can afford. If it has an engine and makes some great noise. I am there. But only within reason in regards to the cost of attendance.

A track side spot, Thursday to Monday, with two extra cars parking, four weekend tickets, all for the IMSA race at Watkins Glen cost me $470 bucks this year. The racing is better. The access to cars and drivers is phenomenal. There is more racing with various types of cars ALL day long for three days.

My full season trackside spot at Mid-Ohio with two tickets to all Mid-Ohio events cost me $1000. That is the possible cost of a single NASCAR race with RV camping for me and my two others.

With that pass I get these series, IMSA race , an INDY race, now two Rally Cross races, SVRA vintage race, and an Xfinity NASCAR event. Not to mention there is something going on practically every weekend down there from club racing to NASA national championships. So there is value in that.

But it truly all comes down to the fact that the racing at most of the events listed above is just better than any of the NASCAR that I have been to.

If NASCAR would lower the costs and not nickle and dime me for access to things, they may see my RV in line waiting to get in...
Yep. IMSA and IndyCar. Best big time racing in America today. Followed closely by Sprint car and NHRA.
We buy the cheapest ticket available for the Texas Indycar race and then we sit wherever we want. Post race traffic is a breeze.
I used to have PSLs for that track and let them go about 5 years ago. Not worth it.
Wanted to go to COTA this weekend but life got in the way darn it.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:04 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonetoRaces View Post
I thought the stands looked pretty full for California race on TV, it kind of gave me hope.

Two things, the stands look fuller this year because the tracks have removed half their grandstands to make the attendance look to be more on TV. Actual attendance is down 11% so far compared to last year, and major sponsors are leaving. This has caused a shortage of race teams and cars at some races.

Second, the France family is quietly looking for investors or an outright purchaser. To date they have not received any offers.

NASCAR like INDY CAR is slowly dying. The younger generation has no interest in racing and those few that are interested can't afford the pricing. Their fan base, that grew up with the sport, is dying off and in 10 to 15 years I doubt either will still be in existence.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:21 PM   #52

Indy Car is not dying.

If you look and many of the stands in Nascar like Daytona, they have painted the seats in a random "checkerboard" pattern and it makes it look like the stands are full.
Go to google maps sat view of Daytona and zoom in.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:38 AM   #53

Thankfully, Indycar is not dying in my opinion. I think they have gotten through some tough times and rebounded. The cars have improved. The talent as well. Some great young drivers have energized the series in the last few years.

The race at Mid-Ohio is already sold out of reserved RV spots a month or so ago. Which I understand is not a huge thing to do. But that usually never happened that I am aware of. People are coming back to Indycar.

I have no skin in the game, and can only go by what I see at the track, and I will say the kids are coming back as well. The import car numbers are starting to creep up on the numbers in the Corvette coral.

Indycar has also moved slightly away from ovals. I think there are only five oval races this year. And by the pictures on the TV screen, other than Indy, the oval races are pretty easy to get into.... So I believe the increase in road/temporary courses has helped immensely. Yes. You can only watch cars in a circle for so long NASCAR.

So hopefully they are not gone in 10-15 years as predicted. I finally got the wife on board for a newer RV in the next few years. So when the work days are slowly being weened away for travel days. I can start mixing in some races I have been wanting to get to across the country...
Old 03-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #54

We used to have a great infield rv spot in Vegas,
1st row corner by the pedestrian tunnel and we could watch all the car haulers come in.
Started going almost since the track opened. It was $400 for dry camping starting wednesday and you had to be out on monday.
You even had grandstand tix for the then Busch series race on saturday.
Prices kept going up till it hit $1200 and we left.
They took out all the grassy areas so you couldn't bring a chair and watch by the fence.
Then they blocked off the pedestrian tunnel and you had to take a tram outside the infield to get to the grandstands.
Then you had to buy a pass to go watch the cars in the garages.
We haven't been back
Al Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:09 PM   #55

It cost way less to go to a NASCAR race than an NFL game.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #56

I just renewed my tickets for the 500. I have a spot in the Geico Caveman camping lot. You can bring a camper in as long as its under 20". It's all dry camping $600 for 2 people for the three races (Friday, Saturday and Sunday)
I checked the price for infield camping with hookups and it was $2,800.00.
JKinFLA is offline   Reply With Quote