Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #1

NASCAR price shock

We are camping near Sonoma Raceway and looked up prices to see a 350 mile race on June 22. $50-150 for one ticket for one day, $275 for camping in a field without hookups near the racetrack for the weekend and you have to buy at least 2 weekend passes. Looks like $600 for the weekend. I was thinking $100-150 for dry camping including 2 mediocre seats in a grandstand for the race.
What am I missing?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #2

Not having a friend on a pit crew with pull........Ever been there?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Supply and demand at work.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I thought about the infield at Darlington a few years ago, $450.00 so I passed. Have you looked in the stands when the TV cameras catch them, plenty of seats available.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #5

You are not missing anything. That seems right in line with their pricing. And that is one of the reasons the attendance figures have been falling steadily for years. Other than the racing itself being just abysmal. That pricing is just for the Cup race and some West Coast series. One race each day.

Not sure if where you researched had any of the pricing for the "extras" you may need to purchase to access certain areas at the facility during the race weekend. Those will shock you as well. Pit access, paddock access, and grid walks. They all cost extra

I attend IMSA and Indycar races and can usually get two 4 day weekend road course races for the price of a single NASCAR weekend anywhere. That's infield, track side RV spot at each of the facilities I go to. No hook ups of course. Hook ups are limited at most of the facilities and are usually meant for the far more richer than me's . There are usually at the very least 3 different racing series there, and there are cars on track practically all day. Each of the 3 days.

No charge access to everything but the inside of a hauler or a driver's bus. You can see everything. No charge.....

Oh. And the most important part. The racing is MUCH better....
Old 06-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #6

Yea, infield was around $1000 and then you have to buy a minimum of four weekend passes. There’s only 2 of us. I used to have friends that followed the circuit so I thought it was reasonable. We just thought we’d try it to see how fun it is. I don’t have a problem with their pricing, it is what it is. I just thought i was missing something like dinners and a gold mug in the shape of a trophy signed by Mario Andretti.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lat time I went to Phoenix NASCAR race (2014?) we paid $60 for 10 days dry camping. Can't remember what we paid for weekend passes. Nascar keeps raising prices and tweaking the format and wonder why they keep losing attendance. After almost 40 years of being a big fan, I am thru with Nascar. I haven't watched a single race this season.

NHRA is a better bang for the money.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
It's not just NASCAR. Look at the rates to see some college football games. Some are as much as $125 with no hookups.

It is going to get worse too.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #9

I stopped following NASCAR when the racing and personalties got so generic it became just 40 millionaires driving in a circle. I did go to the Coca Cola 600 in 2015. Friends had bought a new Tiffon and were showing it off by getting track side camping in the luxury section and inviting us along. Fence was covered with people so we couldn’t see race. We all ended up inside watching it on TV. Friend said that was a ~$2k camping trip.
RickNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #10

When the then new Texas Motor Speedway track opened it was $450 for infield camping for 3 nights. Two years later it was $1200 for 3 nights. Don't know what it costs now and afraid to find out.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Friend of mine was on one of the crews for the Indy races and invited us to join him at the race. Didn't take him up on it and he's retired now. Guess I won't get to see a race close up!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #12

This year will be no. 25 I have been going to Watkins Glen for the NASCAR races. Sure, the ticket price has crept up but what hasn't? I don't know how much general admission tickets are but our reserved tickets were $105 each for adults and $25 for those under 18. We ordered the tickets the day they came on sale and got the same seats in turn 10 that we have had for 10 years or more. This year it will be 7 adults and two under 18. This is a discounted price for early purchase. We arrive on Thursday and leave Monday. The tickets are good for our whole stay.
There are different levels of camping prices depending on location. The cheapest is the family camping areas quite a jaunt from the track. We used to camp there and either walk or ride the shuttle busses which run all day long.
Now we camp in the section right off turn 11 150' from what is known as the "Berm". We have had the same sites (2) for several years. A friend of ours has bought a block of several sites every year and sells the sites to friends. This year the sites cost us $350 each and this includes from Wednesday to Monday. The convenience of easy access is worth every penny of the higher cost say nothing of having a circle of fun loving friends in the circle.
Watkins Glen is the most well attended of all the NASCAR tracks. They generally sell out every year. If my seat is empty when the cameras pan over it I am either on my way to grab another beer or getting rid of one. These stands are packed.
It doesn't hurt anything as the track is an easy drive just 160 miles from home.
Lynn
Old 06-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #13

NASCAR is the cheapest of the top 4 sporting events to attend. Try going to a NFL for the same price, can’t do it. Plus try taking a cooler or food into a football, baseball or basketball game. What about the price of parking at other sports.

The raceing the last several years has been the best ever. If you haven’t been to a race lately, head to the track and have a great experience.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #14

Nascar

What about the amount of commercials you have to watch on TV when watching NASCAR, 5 min of racing and the 5 min of commercials, then u have to watch the drivers drink coke, listen to them mention 17 different sponsers, you CANNOT watch TV without seeing some kind of ad in the background! ALL THE TIME! it's all over with me ! I watch INDY racing now, it's just more relaxing
It's all about corporate greed !
Bukiman is offline   Reply With Quote