Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #1

National parks invaded by fearless family vacationers

http://now.msn.com/government-shutdown-doesnt-stop-families-from-visiting-national-parks-viral-photos-show
It turns out families on vacation are enjoying America’s national parks even without the government’s blessing. Families are throwing orange cones aside at Mount Rushmore, ignoring barricades at Zion National Park and taking grinning selfies next to signs in the Badlands announcing the National Park Service facility is closed. Twitter and Instagram give testament to determined dads driving straight over traffic cones or throwing them aside to clear the way for the family vacations they’ve been planning long before a government shutdown was announced. Be safe, you pioneers, and give a shout-out to the park rangers, who are one genre of government worker we know must be truly missing their offices this week.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good for them. We own the Parks and the Government is supposed to manage them. If they fail in the mission we hired them to do, it's time to take them back they are ours !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #3

I agree with Chuck. These are our Parks to enjoy. How dare they try and keep us out? If they can't or wont do their jobs, let them step out of the way. I too would toss the cones aside. Unfortunately the COEs have heavy gates and chains but I'm sure the determined could get past that.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:32 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My neighbors with 3 small kids went to Grand Canyon a week ago Sunday. They came home on Thursday and had stated they were going to stay for a week because the kids were out of school on fall break.(year round school here)
"Semper Fi"
Old 10-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco1 View Post

http://now.msn.com/government-shutdo...al-photos-show
It turns out families on vacation are enjoying America’s national parks even without the government’s blessing. Families are throwing orange cones aside at Mount Rushmore, ignoring barricades at Zion National Park and taking grinning selfies next to signs in the Badlands announcing the National Park Service facility is closed. Twitter and Instagram give testament to determined dads driving straight over traffic cones or throwing them aside to clear the way for the family vacations they’ve been planning long before a government shutdown was announced. Be safe, you pioneers, and give a shout-out to the park rangers, who are one genre of government worker we know must be truly missing their offices this week.
Go Clark Griswold (National Lampoon's "Vacation"!). These parks are ours and I would do the same!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #6

i wish we all could say that but truth be told as much as you want to think you would go in IF one cop said sure well take that nice high end RV off you hands for you

i am sure every one of you would go or never go in

my Rv means more to me then a few days stay some where

and it would take to many of us crying at the government toooo aaaaa... weight there closed they cant hear us
Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
John Candy......
Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #8

That's all well and good until one of these "pioneers" gets lost in the wilderness or hurts themselves and needs a rescue effort. I hope they also are packing their garbage out with them
Old 10-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
That's all well and good until one of these "pioneers" gets lost in the wilderness or hurts themselves and needs a rescue effort. I hope they also are packing their garbage out with them
See, that's part of the problem. Everyone feels they are entitled to be "rescued". What ever happened to personal responsibility? Why does everyone expect the government to "rescue" them? There is WAY too much dependence on government today.
I agree with the packing out the garbage though!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco1 View Post

http://now.msn.com/government-shutdo...al-photos-show
It has been reported on the news that the governor of south Dakota sent highway patrol to remove barricades on the State Highway going to Rushmore that were put up by federal authorities.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
Like this? Injured hiker at Signal Point recovering; Could face fine - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports
Old 10-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #12

Only 2 entrances to Lake Powell The north entrance was blocked with cement barriers and big signs. Can't get around them. South entrance has a Park Ranger blocking the entrance 24/7 There was some planning ahead of time on this one!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
See, that's part of the problem. Everyone feels they are entitled to be "rescued". What ever happened to personal responsibility? Why does everyone expect the government to "rescue" them? There is WAY too much dependence on government today.
I agree with the packing out the garbage though!
I agree with Burns here and I work for the blasted DoD. If you go in on your own accord and get hurt, you're on your own. Don't do anything stupid and you won't need the assist out. I've never played it safe most of my life, but this would be the one time I'd mind my manners and play by the rules. As for the trash, also agree, pack it up and take it with you. If we own the parks we should also be responsible for keeping them clean.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #14

Squatting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
I agree with Chuck. These are our Parks to enjoy. How dare they try and keep us out? If they can't or wont do their jobs, let them step out of the way. I too would toss the cones aside. Unfortunately the COEs have heavy gates and chains but I'm sure the determined could get past that.

Wouldn't that be Squatting?
Closed Thread

Tags
cat, national