Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Should There Be a National Speed Limit?
No, we don't need one. 2 0.40%
Yes, it should be 50 MPH. 0 0%
Yes, it should be 55 MPH. 0 0%
Yes, it should be 60 MPH. 0 0%
I don't care, I'll drive the speed I want anyway. 0 0%
502 99.60%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In the motorhome we run about 60 mph and stay in the right lane but the power is there if we need it to get out of the way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's us too. Gives me time to see something as we pass by.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
There are 2 types of drivers Owner Operator which pay all the bills and Company drivers which pay none of the bills. Since Monfort Trucking went out of business the left lane was for the owner operator but with fuel price what they are, company trucks seem to have taken over the left lane. One thing is for sure we are all paying for it. most everything you have was on a truck somewhere along the line.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Our trucks fuel mileage can vary from 5mpg avg @ 75 mph to 7.3 mpg avg @ 67mph. We average 20,000 miles a month so it is a lot of fuel any way you look at it.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just as I thought. Another 'brilliant' idea emanating from our idiot congresscritters, guaranteed to cost us more money!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How about some alternative methods of limiting speed?

Maybe based upon a vehicles best speed / MPG?

How about based upon the amount of taxes you pay or even a speed permit level.. the more you pay the faster you can go, like a pre-speeding ticket only your insurance doesn't go up...

Maybe the older one gets the faster you can drive, after all, generally the older one is the more taxes they have paid AND, don't forget, the older we get generally the more driving experience we have too...

Maybe the bigger the vehicle the faster? (except for Mini Cooper Ss, for which there should be no speed limit at all)...

The Hamptons
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">idiot congresscritters </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Please refrain from such descriptions. You could give idiots a bum rap and bad name.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:47 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
I voted 50mph, nuff said on my part.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I voted 50mph, nuff said on my part. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This would cost us extra fuel ($$$). My transmission, and many others, does not shift into high gear until about 58 mph. I get my best mileage around 60-62 mph.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #23

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by historyljc:
[QUOTE]I voted 50mph, nuff said on my part. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This would cost us extra fuel ($$$). My transmission, and many others, does not shift into high gear until about 58 mph. I get my best mileage around 60-62 mph.[/QUOTE

same here
Old 07-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by historyljc:
This would cost us extra fuel ($$$). My transmission, and many others, does not shift into high gear until about 58 mph. I get my best mileage around 60-62 mph. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with historyljc on this. My MH also runs best at 60 to 62. WI has 65 speed limit and just about everybody drives 10 MPH over with out tickets. IL has 55 for trucks & Rvs. I drive 60 to 62 in both states and the Hwy Patrol does not bother me. I believe we should start by enforcing the speed limits we already have as that would drop the average speed by 10 MPH. If the national speed limit went down to 55 I would bet that at 60 MPH no one would get a ticket.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #25

The best option, IMO, is to establish a formula for vehicle engines. XX amount of HP for each 1,000# of GVW. This will be truly equal for every vehicle, regardless of size.
Anyone besides me remember the days when you had to downshift to climb a grade, whatever you were driving?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone besides me remember the days when you had to downshift to climb a grade, whatever you were driving? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The best option, IMO, is to establish a formula for vehicle engines. XX amount of HP for each 1,000# of GVW. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And maybe the government should tell you how large a home you can own based on your family size.
A national speed limit is a joke it didn't work in the 70's and it will not work now.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #28

My coach also needs to run 60 mph to stay in 6th gear That is what works the best for me.
I think whatever your coach finds as the best speed is what you should use.
For economy reasons..