Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Should There Be a National Speed Limit?
No, we don't need one. 2 0.40%
Yes, it should be 50 MPH. 0 0%
Yes, it should be 55 MPH. 0 0%
Yes, it should be 60 MPH. 0 0%
I don't care, I'll drive the speed I want anyway. 0 0%
502 99.60%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Should There Be a National Speed Limit

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Should There Be a National Speed Limit

Old 07-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Didn't we do this in the 70's and the results were the 55 MPH>
Old 07-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
The interstate speed limits should stay as they are currently. 55 mph on roads other than interstate roads would be OK with me.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, we didn't learn from the 70's, so here we are again. I vote for a temp national four day 10 hour work-week, (there would some social limitations). Several countries have national programs that take care of their own fuel interest, why not the US. Electric, battery, hydrogen or anything else but Big Oil. PS. High fuel costs are having the biggest negative impact and damage on the entire economy and our "National Interest". I don't notice a huge amount of folks out there really celebrating. Doc
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #6

A little over a year ago I got a ticket for going 70 on the freeway in CA. I was towing a car and the speed limit when towing is 55. The signs were confusing and I didn't realize it applied to me. At first I was upset, then I started thinking about the amount of time it took me break in an emergency. I tried driving slower, 60 with a max of 65. I get about a mile and a half more per gallon of diesel going 60 to 65 over driving 70 to 75.

I just finished a 7,000 mile cross country trip. I used about 875 gallons of diesel and at an average cost of $4.50 per gallon that means I spent about $3,937 on fuel. If I'd driven on average 10 mph faster it would have taken approximately 1076 gallons and at the same $4.50 per gallon my cost would have been $4,842. So I saved almost a thousand dollars on fuel and I got in maybe a half hour later each day. I also think there is a safety factor worth considering.

I know a thousand dollars is pocket change for most of you guys. However for me it's worth slowing down just a little. I can think of other things I'd rather spend a thousand dollars on.

I do have a compromise I still ride my bike at 85 to 90 but it gets 40 mpg! That way I still get the thrill of driving fast.

I realize change is very difficult for some people, however, it appears we can no longer have it all. Some may have to make choices, stay home or slow down a little and arrive a few minutes later. As always, the choice is yours.

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slides
2005 BMW K1200LT on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Old 07-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I lived through the days of the 1970s fuel crisis and the 55 MPH national speed limit. During that time, we were commuting between Central Ohio and our families' homes in West Texas at least once a year. Given my druthers, with that distance to travel, I'll drive faster and be glad to pay for the privilege, thanks very much. Pulling the RV, I find that 62-63 MPH on the freeway is a decent tradeoff between travel time and fuel mileage. I think most of us are intelligent enough to balance speed against fuel economy for ourselves without an across-the-board, "one size fits all" edict by a nanny state government.

Like Michael, I enjoy 46 MPG at speeds, ummm, somewhat above 70 MPH on the bike (2007 BMW K1200GT). So, with that fuel efficiency, does 55 MPH make sense when I'm on the bike? Not to me!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #8

I can foresee Gov mandated governors on cars. That way no one would be able to play "one ups man ship".

Then everyone will be "equal".
What a horrible thought.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can foresee Gov mandated governors on cars. That way no one would be able to play "one ups man ship". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, that's real scary

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Governors are already on car! It is called a computer all that has to be done is for the top speed to be set. As an over the truck driver i can tell you transmission gearing and tire size have a lot to do with fuel mileage for us to run 55 mph in Calif we must drop a gear and that cost us fuel mileage. There is not a one size fits all speed. Our truck is geared for 67 mph and that is where we get our best fuel mileage. Our top speed is set at 77 mph so if we need to run the speed limit we can, nothing worse than a 67.5 mph truck trying to pass a 67 mph truck. In the motorhome we run about 60 mph and stay in the right lane but the power is there if we need it to get out of the way.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:38 AM   #11

I can see the temptation of lowering speed limits.

My truck will get 17ish when driving over 70, but get onto 55 mph highways and keep the speed under 60 and it will return 21 and above.

If everyone did that, the supply/demand curve would shift quite a bit, and I think it would force a shift in crude prices.

If crude prices were to backslide 30 or 40% just once, and burn the speculators, I think that would also help.

In the end, I think I'd like to see them try leaving the fuel prices where they are, but prohibit people who don't acutally take physical delivery of crude from bidding on oil futures...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:29 AM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As an over the truck driver.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Say what???
Old 07-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hope&Rick:
Governors are already on car! It is called a computer all that has to be done is for the top speed to be set. As an over the truck driver i can tell you transmission gearing and tire size have a lot to do with fuel mileage for us to run 55 mph in Calif we must drop a gear and that cost us fuel mileage. There is not a one size fits all speed. Our truck is geared for 67 mph and that is where we get our best fuel mileage. Our top speed is set at 77 mph so if we need to run the speed limit we can, nothing worse than a 67.5 mph truck trying to pass a 67 mph truck. In the motorhome we run about 60 mph and stay in the right lane but the power is there if we need it to get out of the way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info. I am wondering what the tradeoff is for driving slower vs. pay for OTR truckers. Since you guys/gals are paid by the mile (normally) and are limited to the number of hours, you income would necessarily drop. That and lower overall MPG ave. would really hurt.

Is my thinking correct?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Again big brother just trying to watch out over everybody. A national speed limit of 55 will do nothing but generate income for the states (speeding tickets), also remember, just because the sign says 70 doesn't mean you have to run 70, the min. speed limit on an interestate is 45. As an individual you can choose to slow down without the govt demanding it.....

cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote