Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
NC mountains

Just thinking of my childhood growing up in western NC.Im 56 years old--back in the day, there was only 3 stations on tv--if you could pick them up. We spent all day, until dark playing in the woods, catching crawdads and lizards from the creeks, drinking the water,sometimes eating what we had or eating peanuts, strawberries,watermelon, canelopes, etc.. from gardens we would run up on.We would make "forts" out of dead trees and broom sage--take naps--use our imagination to invent games( cowboys and indians,etc...)When I was a little older, we had horses and would ride them miles into the woods, they would play in the rivers, splashing to cool off, rare up and buck when we came upon snakes, we would go skinny dipping at the resevoir, almost get caught tresspassing, and have to ride wide open buck naked ( bareback)to get away.Have been swimming with water mocassins( scary).The only rule was to be back by suppertime/dark.We got caught one time after dark in a thunderstorm--lightning every 10 seconds--couldnt see--so just let the horses run, laid down on their necks and let them take us home--which they did.So many stories-I have to admit I wouldnt let a kid of mine do this without supervision these days--but these wonderful adventures made me what I am today--kids today are truly missing out on a lot. Wish we could go back to those wonderful, carefree times-nothing like being raised in the country.--I know many of you have had similar times. Maybe this will start a good thread---Vinceso many tales--maybe should write a book or something!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #2

Only rich kids had riding horses back then. Ours pulled plows. We must have lived a little further back in Western NC than you did. I am 58 and I really do miss those days. Thanks for bringing it up

Old 05-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We were really poor--I think after my step father was killed--insurance money probably gave mom the money for the horse--that was about 1970 or so--Vince
Old 05-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #4

My family is from Tuxedo/Zirconia. We grew up swimming in Green River, grandma Staton's store was there on 25. Sliced Bologna on white bread, licorice and Coke so cold it iced when the top came off of the glass bottle!!! "Drink it while it's good!", was said in her store a lot. Grandpa Corn (JC) took all of the boys down the river in a canoe, all of the way to Lake Summit.
Those were the days!!!
I wish my Girls,9&12, could have been there. What a life we had!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #5

I have family in Swannanoa NC. My uncles and family logged of the sidew of the mountain with draft horses, rode them too. I remember riding one down the log slew just about straight down the side of the mountain. Heard stories that before I40 was built that it was a 2-3 day drive from Ashville to Cherry Point MCAS (Havelock) on US 70..
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #6

I am 66 and live the big town of Nebo NC it hasn't been too long ago that we got our one and only traffic light. I remember driving old 70 to Asheville and also riding the train there. It was a special treat when someone would get a new appliance and we could use the box and our imagination and make a fort. Went barefooted in summer and got a used pair of combat boots for winter. Now look at me I got a house on wheels.