Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Need advice

Greeting to all, We are in need of some advice about wheater to buy used or new for a newbie to TT ownership. We have heard good and bad about buying a used TT, so we decided to put it out to the forums to aks for some help. We are looking for a 21' trailer, and should we buy from a dealer or private owner?. How do you know all system are trouble free.

clong9240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #2

Here is my 2 cents after buying a used 38 foot motor home and never having one before that.

If you are a handy person, take the used TT on a weekend and use everything and look in every corner, nook and cranny. Make sure you look under it to to see if there is something broken there. If you can fix those things, then negoiate with the seller for the repair of the items at his expense or the price if you can fix it. If you are not, then get someone who works on these things for a living and have him check it out for you. The other side is if you are not a handy man, then go new so you have a warranty. Even new things brake down. I was lucky with my MH even though it cost the dealer over $10,000 to fix the items that popped up during our weekend camp out. Major problem with ABS and a lot of associated wiring and air dryers for the air brake sytem were found bad. I have still had some minor problems but I have been lucky and found some great independent guys to help me with trouble shooting. My next and last one, I will have a guy I found do a pre-buy for me.

Good luck and have a good time camping. We love it and will be full time in a year or so as soon as I finish my last retirement job.

Bill Brown, DW Marsha
2000 Dutch Star DSDP 3851, Buick Enclave

wrb7636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
First, you can assume all systems will NOT be trouble free, no matter which path you take. As a new RVer, you will get some pro's from buying from a dealer;

1) You have someone to grill about fixing problems
2) If new, you have the manufacturers warranty
3) You may be able to negotiate service perks (annual checkup, winterizing, etc) to be included in the deal.

Of course, you pay a premium for all this in the price.

Buying from a private party you don't get the above, but you do potentially get a better price.

So, to answer your question, I'd have to say it's all about you. Do you have the money to pay for the dealer premium? Are you a handy, DIY kind of person? Will you be doing your own maintenance and repairs, or are you likely to just take it to an RV shop for everything?

If you expect to purchase an RV and have years of trouble-free camping, you are likely setting yourself up for disappointment. In my limited experience, RVs, new or used, require constant maintenance and repair. For me, it's just part of the RV ownership experience.
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
I bought my 33' 5er new and can't say I had any major problems. Most of the work involved, was personalizing it. I bout my MH a year ago and the motor broke, there was a slight dash AC compressor leak and the speedo failed. The engine problem was due to a weak fuel pump. All but $100 deductible was cover by my extended service plan. From the stories I've read here and on other forums, I would never buy a MH new.

My feelings are that if you buy from a dealer, you should be able to take it back if there are problems. Not so with a private party.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Hi clong9240,
Welcome to iRV2. The spouse and you need to determine the amount of use you are going to get from the unit in the next 5 years (10 would be better). If you are really going to use the unit, buy new and get a after warranty service contract. If the unit will sit, unused, for 8+ months of the year, buy used (determine if a service contract is available). If buying used, make sure the unit is checked out by a certified RV Tech. If buying used, your going to need patience and skill to make repairs.

Either way, focus on the floor plan. Buy the floor plan that works for you.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
Try renting trailers on sight in several different campgrounds and check out the various systems in the rentals. That way you might have a clue when you look over a used trailer
tooltrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by clong9240 View Post
Greeting to all, We are in need of some advice about wheater to buy used or new for a newbie to TT ownership. We have heard good and bad about buying a used TT, so we decided to put it out to the forums to aks for some help. We are looking for a 21' trailer, and should we buy from a dealer or private owner?. How do you know all system are trouble free.
You will never know all systems are trouble free. However, with a new one, you will have warranty to cover any issues. If you are handy and can make repairs yourself this may not be a huge issue. Good luck.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
I've never had problems I didn't expect buying used. Again it depends on your use pattern. Another question is what type of TV do you have or planning to have. Make sure it can handle the GVWR (not dry weight) of your TT. That way you wont have to worry about being too heavy.

Good Luck

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote