Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2007, 10:30 PM   #1

Have you had carbon buildup in your diesel engine?

Had problems with our 2002 VW Beetle DIESEL (79,000 miles) and it had to be towed to the VW dealership for repair. Picked it up this afternoon and it now runs great with lots of power. Problem as stated on the repair sheet, "R & R EGR VALVE. FOUND AIR FLAP STUCK CLOSED & CARBON IN INTAKE MANIFOLD. R & R INTAKE MANIFOLD, FOUND EGR COOLER PLUGGED WITH CARBON. CLEANED COMPLETE INTAKE SYSTEM. CLEANED EGR VALVE. REPLACED EGR COOLER & REASSEMBLED." After paying a hefty bill, I asked the service agent what can be done to help prevent this from happening again, she said by adding a fuel additive but since it was at the end of the day and all mechanics had gone home, she could not advise what type of additive and further stating they did not sell such additives at their parts counter. I suppose NAPA, WalMart sells these things but ...which one do you suggest that I use?

If you know anything about this subject, I would appreciate your input.

Rich

iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2007, 05:19 AM   #2

I often use the "Power Service" product in the grey bottle called "Diesel Kleen". I use the grey bottle year round.
http://www.powerservice.com/
If you need anti-gelling for very cold weather use the white bottle (called "Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost"). You can purchase the power service brand at walmart and tractor supply. They claim it pays for itself in added MPG. That is questionable. It does seem to help MPG a fraction, but I use it for it's cleaning and lubrication properties. It is a cetane boost and will quiet down a diesel engine. It also stabilizes diesel that is stored a long time, lengthening it's shelf life. There is alot of info on their web page. They have other products also such as biocide for algee problems.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:06 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Rich, I hope they replaced your timing belt too. It was due.

80,000 to 100,000 miles on a VW TDI normally requires a complete intake manifold cleaning and timing belt replacement. The newer TDI can go a little longer but I don't know if that's salesman hype or fact.

Lots of good reading on http://www.tdiclub.com/ There is a section on manifold cleaning and timing belt replacement.

We loved our TDI but the cost per mile to operate such a small car was prohibitive. The torque was awesome, mileage was great, and the maintenace was a pain.

The best way that I know of to prolong the clogging of your intake manifold is to buy a name brand premium diesel (simply because it usually has a higher cetane rating and burns cleaner - keyword "usually").

1 part Goo Gone (100% xylene) and 4 parts kerosene equals a DIY diesel fuel additive. The makers of fuel additives have been very aggresive at removing any trace of the ingredients from the internet i.e. Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) because too many people are realizing whats in the stuff.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I've used Stanadyne Performance Formula in my diesel trucks and in my tractor since 1993 and have been very pleased with it.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Intake fouling due to the EGR function is a known problem with the VW TDI. There are any number of VW TDI forums out there that you might want to check into to see what has proved to work to minimize this problem. I'm sorry that I can't point you to the good ones - I just see this topic discussed with some regularity on the Dodge/Cummins forums as a number of those dieselheads also own the VW TDIs.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #6

Second the PowerService nomination.

The white bottle is the cheaper stuff that you can use more often. If you run the grey bottle, you can just use it once and a month or so, with a little more in winter.

Its what I do.

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Kid:
Second the PowerService nomination.
Its what I do.
I purchased a 96-oz container of the Power Service Diesel Kleen Part #3041 gray bottle and upon looking for the instructions at home, I find there are NO INSTRUCTIONS for the amount to mix with the fuel. Maybe a paper came off the bottle before purchase, however, I didn't notice anything attached to the others on the shelf. I should be getting some answers from the company website inquiry form I filled out, otherwise, I'll take it back to WalMart for a refund.

Thanks to those that made a reply.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

Old 01-23-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Their website indicates a 1:400 mix ratio.... a 96 oz. bottle should treat 300 gallons.

(96/128) * 400 = 300 gallons.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
Their website indicates a 1:400 mix ratio.... a 96 oz. bottle should treat 300 gallons.

but! but! but my math ain't dat gud! How much to mix with 10 gallons?

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

Old 01-24-2007, 03:29 AM   #10

If 96 oz does 300 gallons 32 oz would do 100 gallons and 3.2 oz would do 10 gallons.I think?
Old 01-24-2007, 03:37 AM   #11
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich & Zara:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hitchhiker:

but! but! but my math ain't dat gud! How much to mix with 10 gallons?

Rich </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rich:
U would use 4oz of Power Service to 10 gals. In my previous diesels which usually had 34-36 gal tanks, I would add 12oz of Power Service at each fill or 8oz of Power Service+ 4oz of Marvel Mystery Oil. If u go with Power Service, the white bottle is for winter as it has a anti-gell additive and the grey bottle is for warmer temps.

96oz-300gal
48oz-150gal
24oz-75gal
12oz-37.5gal
6oz-18.75gal
3oz-9.3gal
In the time we had diesels, I always put in fuels additives for lubricity purposes and think this will become more important with introduction of the new diesel fuel..........
Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
OK, here's one of the TDI forums you might want to check out for hints - TDI Club.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #13

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU THAT MADE AN INPUT TO THE TOPIC.

Here is the email reply that I received from Power Service ...and it gives further information that might be benificial to you readers ...especially where he speaks of the double treatment.

Quote:
You can do this 2 ways. Whatever amount of fuel you add to your tank multiply it by 0.32 (10X0.32=3.2, round the number up to the next whole number and add 4-ounces of Diesel Fuel Supplement or Diesel Kleen for a single treat rate and 8-ounces for a double treat rate).

The second method is to take the amount of fuel you add and divide by 3. In the above case if you add 10 gallons and divide by 3 you get 3.3, round the number up to 4 and add 4-ounces for a single treatment and 8-ounces for a double treatment. Either method will work so whichever works best for you will give you the answer.

If you double treat your fuel you will max out your benefits or performance. Going past double treating will not improve the performance and we do not recommend that you more than double treat unless you are using Biodiesel fuel.

I really cannot give you a good reason why they do not put more specific mixing instructions on the bottle but if you look at the bottle, there really is not much room to get as specific as I did above.

I hope this information helps and if you have any other questions or concerns please let me know and Thank You for using Power Service Products.

Best Regards,

Brian Wilson
bwilson@powerservice.com
Compliance Coordinator
Technical Advisor
800-643-9089
Thanks again folks for your input ...and too, I wondering if the above will help you make decisions with your own treatment. ???

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

Old 01-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #14

I don't think VW is alone in having carbon build up on exhaust recirculation systems in diesels.

I wonder if the new ultra-low sulfur fuel might reduce the problem...

Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote