Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Need Advice with New Hearing Aids....

Hello All,

I am not sure if there is anyone out there that can offer me some insight but I would appreciate anything that you can tell me.

As some of you know, I am a 58 year old new attorney with a disabled hubby whom I love to pieces!!!! But I finally realized that my hearing had deteriorated to a place that I needed help. The audiologists confirmed that I have lost over 50% of my hearing so I ordered hearing aids.

I picked them up today. Was fitted with them and...I HATE THEM!!!! They are quite comfortable and I cannot even feel them in and around my ear, but I hate all of this NOISE!!!!!

Everything is so instrusive! Before I even left the hospital, I walked throught the lobby and heard dozens of cell phone conversations that I never would have heard before. I feel like the Bionic Man and I don't like it at all.

I went into my office this evening and crumpled up a piece of paper to throw it into the basket and I thought a bomb had gone off in my head.

I walked through the leaves to take my pups out for a walk and my head hurt from all the noise.

How do I deal with this?

I have been watching TV with closed captioning for years and now even turning it down to close to mute hurts my ears....

Please give me some advice. I know that I need to hear more in my profession. I am an attorney and I am at a loss in the courtroom. I thought that the hearing aids would help, but I don't know whether I can handle this sensory overload....

Thanks for you help...

fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It will take about one month to "retrain" your brain to filter out the noise. I have had my aids over a year now and am very happy with my purchase. Some re-tuning of which frequency ranges are amplified and how much they are amplified may need to be done to fit your individual preferences.

I got my aids at Costco and was impressed with their testing and fitting procedures. They gave me the best price on the aids which worked best for me. They also take care of you and your aids after the sale.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #3

The reason I don't wear my hearing aides is because I don't miss what I'm missing.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #4

What you are probably hearing is normal sound again and it takes a little time to get used to it. But when you do you will be back in the real world and not miss things that people or saying and sounds around you.

Be patient
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DeBUSK

They should be able to program your hearing aids to help you out. When I first got mine, the sound of paper, door knobs, etc. all sounding very loud and metallic. Wind was terrible.
My aids have 4 different settings at the present time. All I have to do is touch the aid and it changes to a different setting. I use the restaurant setting most all the time. It cuts most of the background noise out. There are telephone settings, and etc. on them.
If your aids are programable, check out a restaurant setting.
Lots of luck.
Larry
Old 11-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #6

Hopefully your hearing aids have the ability to have several settings. On mine I have "normal" and a directional setting and one for when I'm around people who talk very softly. These are the Costco one and as mentioned above Costco is very good with follow up changes, tests, etc. All that said it does take quite awhile to relearn or adjust to the hearing aids. I've worn them about 15 years and on my third set. With the first set I'm like you in that I was close to tossing them because they were more of a pain than a benefit. Now I wouldn't be without them. Please keep trying.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Turn the volume down to suit your needs and desires....u have complete control!!!
I test mine with someone talking in their normal volume, a short distance away...so that I can comfortably hear the person...if they are shouting to me, I volume down...if you can't turn down no more, then yo need a technician to adjust. Cheers
Old 11-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjim View Post
The reason I don't wear my hearing aides is because I don't miss what I'm missing.
Why buy them then? We spent $3000.00 on one for the wife and she rarely wears it, waste of money. IMHO
Old 11-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansrun View Post
Turn the volume down to suit your needs and desires....u have complete control!!!
I test mine with someone talking in their normal volume, a short distance away...so that I can comfortably hear the person...if they are shouting to me, I volume down...if you can't turn down no more, then yo need a technician to adjust. Cheers

FYI Not all of them have volume controls. Mine don't which is why I have three different settings.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
being a rn there is one more solution if your warranty your dr can send a request to the hospital hearing test site..if they are ones that cant be adjusted by you...the tecks can..by doing the same test and then they can program them to what your needs are from the first test done...or if can be adjusted costco for a small fee will help if your on the road and not near home..hope this helps...
Old 11-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As others have said - they CAN be adjusted by your dispenser. But I would bear with them for a week or three. Your brain has been compensating for the hearing loss for a long time and it will take some time for it to reprogram itself. When I got my first set over 20 years ago I was amazed at how loud everything was, especially crumpling paper! It took me a couple of weeks and then everything leveled out to where it sounded more "natural". I've been through many sets since then: Miracle Ear, Costco (3 times), Miracle Ear again, and now from the VA. I usually get about 4 years out out of a set before they get replaced with newer technology.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #12

Give yourself time to get used to them. I had to experiment with the settings to deal with background noise, even with that loud sounds like our dog barking a welcome when I came in the house hurt. The control on the left aid compensates for that, the right one fine tunes to allow me to hear conversation which was previously lost in a crowd.
I am a customer service rep, my boss was complaining about my volume on the phone. Until I got the aids and lowered my voice to a comfortable level neither of us realized how much my hearing had deteriorated, I could not hear myself. My biggest challenge now is to get my wife to lower her voice when talking to me.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #13

I wear hearing aids. They are without a doubt the best $4,000 I ever spent. If yours cost substantially less than this, I can understand why you don't like them. They may not have sufficient adjustments to make them sound right to you.

Mine are programmable via a computer in the audiologists office. When I had my hearing tested, my hearing frequency response curve was saved into a computer file. For you audio folks, my hearing response at 3,000 to 4,000 hz was down 72 db. That is a LOT of high frequency hearing loss.

At the audiologist's office, he loaded that response curve file into his machine and programmed my aids so I had a flat frequency response. However, a little tweaking was needed before things were right. For example, the sound of clinking silverware was WAY too loud after the initial fitting. My audiologist used the graphic equalizer in the aids to adjust the response to where I could hear clearly but these sounds were not over powering.

Go back to your audiologist and tell him what is going on. If they are quality hearing aids he should be able to adjust the frequency response to make them work better for you. If they are just simple amplifiers with no ability to adjust the frequency response, you will probably never be able to wear them and enjoy the experience.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You just need adjustment. Your audiologist should be able to adjust to a more comfortable level. If you have a 50% loss initially then what you are hearing in the aids is not normal hearing. Normal hearing cannot be restored and you would not be able to stand it if your aids were adjusted to that volume. Your hearing loss came gradually over time, hardly noticeable at first. So trying to adjust back to normal is painful. If someone says they can give you normal hearing go to another person.

Symmetry having equal hearing out of both ears is more important than volume.

I like Costco because their service is wonderful, you can get it at any Costco with a hearing aid department. Interim adjustments are free and their sales and service people. are not on commission.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice