Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Need Plumbing Help

This is not related to camping, but I thought maybe there might be a plumber in the house who can solve my dilemma.
I hope it's ok to post on here.
My situation is, my house is on well water. When I turn on the cold water, in some parts of my house the water is cold, and in other parts the water is real warm. Why is this happening ? It just seems strange. I let the water run for a period of time to see if it goes cold, but it stays warm. What the heck is going on ? The cold areas in the house are like spring water. Can you help me?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 12:10 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First: how warm is it? Define "warm ". Have you put a thermo on it? The parts where the water is warm: daytime only? Day and night? 1st floor? 2nd floor? One side of house only? South side? North side?

Unless your well is VERY shallow and you live in a desert, the water coming out of your well should consistently be at about 50-55 degrees or so. So the question is, what's heating the water going to parts of your house?

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #3

I'd have to wonder if your cold and hot water pipes are run side by side in those area's that the cold water is warm.... (we are on a well also) ... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
One would think that the further away the sink is from where the water comes into your S&B the water would be warmer because its further from where the water entrance is, and is warmed from the temp inside the S&B's.
In the MH the bathroom water takes longer to get hot-water than the Kitchen sink that sits above the water heater.
# 2
Have you lived there awhile? or is it a newer house that you just bought? I just thought if it was a newer house that you just purchased maybe the past owner had a instant hot-water heater by the bathroom that is not working correctly .
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #5

Do you have any mixing valves? Like the ones used for keeping the toilet from sweating? A single handle faucet can do the same thing. They can allow the water to back flow so the hot goes to the cold. Is your water system accessible? If so, turn on the cold where the water seems warm and start checking the hot and cold temperatures with your hand and see where the cold pipe gets warm. keep tracing it back and you should find your problem.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all your replies.
My well is on the west side of the house. Master bath is on the east side. This and the kitchen sinks are I guess about 80-85.
Been here 6 years and it hasn't always been warm like this. Don't know if pipes are side by side though. Hope I answered all your questions.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #7

If it was side by side pipes they would need to be touching and have a constant flow of hot water through the warm pipes. It also doesn't matter what the supply is (well or city). There is a cross connection that is allowing hot to enter the cold like a mixing valve for a toilet. I am a licensed plumber and have seen that be the culprit more than once.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
Old 10-31-2014, 09:49 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Would that be in the wall, and where should I look for it?
Old 10-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #9

Generally they would be in the basement near the ceiling just about under where the toilet would be. You would see two lines going into it about 4" apart from each other and one line coming out to go to the toilet. It should look something like this: Anti Sweat Valve Is this a problem that just started or has it been going on for a while?
Old 11-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the things I have said to myself on many occasions is "What were they thinking?"

IN my sticks and bricks most of the water lines avoided the area over the furnace, but TWO pipes crossed right above it, cold water supply to the water heater and hot water out.. now as it happens there was an alternate place they could have tapped the cold and returned the hot that was CLOSER to the water heater and no where near the furnace.

What difference would it make? Wast heat from the furnace caused something to happen in both lines that resulited in what for want of a bettter name I shall call arteriosclerosis (Learned something today, always thought that was two words, it's one). the clogging of the arteries (water pipes) got so bad that you could pass water faster than those pipes could.

Finally did something about it (Newer larger cold water pipe, new copper hot pipe) and full flow was restored.

A good lot of my diagnostic knowledge on water pressure problems in RVs comes from that repair by the way.

The reason for posting this:

It may be they ran the cold water pipe over a major heat source, thus water before the heat source is cold, post-heat source not so cold.

Another possible cause: There are many theads about water heater issues, or so the RVer thinks, Water in the heater is hot but I only get luke warm at the fauctes.
nearly all of these are caused by a shower with a flow-cut off head, the mixing valves are open and the head valve shut so the mixing valve is allowing cold water to pass to the hot water lines.... this can work the other way as well.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
MnTom,

Thanks for the info on the anti sweat valve. I have a problem with toilet tank sweat, and being relatively new to living in colder climate of Montana, didn't know such a device existed. Installation of this device seems to be the answer to the sweat problem. Thanks again.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
MnTom,

Thanks for the info on the anti sweat valve. I have a problem with toilet tank sweat, and being relatively new to living in colder climate of Montana, didn't know such a device existed. Installation of this device seems to be the answer to the sweat problem. Thanks again.
Glad I was able to help!
Old 11-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Just an update on my cold water,,,
Seems that my well pump was going out. I guess it final bit the dust yesterday , and the shaft broke. They came out today and replaced it with a new one.
Cold water is cold water again!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #14

Strange repair, but as long as you are happy that's all that matters. A weak pump will cause low flow and low pressure. It will have a difficult time building enough pressure to shut off via the pressure switch.

Tags
plumbing