Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
need pointed in right direction....

ok, i am out at the farm helpin the old man with harvest. he has a 1999 International DT466 grain truck. He just had a new tranny cooler put in front and a brand new radiator put in as well. now the front of this thing goes through hell behind the combine getting junk flung at it at damaging speed, traveling behind other grain trucks down the highway with seed falling at over 60mph and bouncing into the cooler and radiator...

anyway, we are looking for a grille cover for it, the screen ones that do not block air like the covers for winter. looking for the snap on kind that we can easily take off to clean of bugs and what nots. i can't find them online, they keep taking me to the winter blanket covers to keep diesels warm in the winter.... so can anyone point me to a website with a good price?

Thanks again in advance!

below is a HUGE FREAKIN PICTURE of the front grille we have.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What an odd-looking RV you have? I don't think anybody here uses covers on their grill, but maybe I'll be surprised...

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
not saying used on RV, i have one on mine but it is a home made one... i've just noticed that a lot of people on here ARE or WERE truck/big rig drivers and would know where to pick one up that is decent but at a good price. thats why i turn to the best... there are so many different people on here with a million different backgrounds and 2 million different talents, i'm sure someone on here knows what i'm talking about and has bought one or knows where to look for one. i've even seen them on regular pickups too. a $100 grill cover sure beats another $4,000 shop bill to replace the radiator and tranny cooler again!! i would make my own but out here we don't have much to choose from for supplies and the hardware store in town only has the nylon/fiberglass house window screen. the one i made for my rv is made from OLD window screen that was metal.

someone will chime in, i know they will, someone always does!
Old 10-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
What an odd-looking RV you have?
Was just wondering what you meant by that... I thought i posted this in the right section since it isn't RV specific..."General discussion, if it doesn't fit anywhere else on the board post it here"

Did I post in the wrong place? I hope not, if so, can you move it....

Thanks and sorry if needed.

GOODNIGHT iRV2'rs, long freaking day tomorrow! gotta fix everything we broke today... lol
Old 10-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If no one has a answer they sure have a bunch on this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:18 AM   #6

Know what you are looking to do... which is a good idea, but I don't know where you can purchase something ready made. If it was in my stable I would make something that would do the job. Pretty flat surface of the truck so thinking it would be easy to make something out of plastic angle and double window screen that would snap on the body with say an inch or so space between the frame and the screen ... to allow air flow to radiator if the screens are clogged.

Good Luck
Old 10-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Try Big Rig Chrome Shop.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
4x4 foot square of 1/4 inch hardware cloth and about six zip ties would work as a temporary fix.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Guys.... still no go.

007 - that google search you sent me to is what I keep coming up with... GRILLE GUARDS/BRUSH GUARDS

Hitchhiker - close, but not quite. lookin for protection, not pimp my ride LOL i don't think he'd go for a $300 chrome insert with the spacing the same size as what we have now... i think it would look nice but he's old fashion i guess LOL.

Wagon217 - i know i could make one if i was back at home in the city with a lowes or home depot 3 minutes away, but out here my closest one is about 45 minutes away, then if i don't get the right thing or not enough.... well then weve done wasted 3 hours of just driving and a crap ton of gas. no rain in the 10 day outlook so doing it on a rainy day is out of the question for now.... i can't believe i'm having such a hard time finding these things online!

thanks again for the help guys!
Old 10-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have a small version of what you are looking for on my 30hp Kioti. Are there any tractor/ farm equipment dealers near you? Maybe the larger units have something that would work.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Another thought

Here's some for Big Rigs. Maybe they have a smaller size also.
http://www.truckersmall.net/bugscreens.html

Here's a material that is place directly on the radiator rather than outside like you were wanting but it might work if the size is available.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Honey-Comb-Radiator-Protectors,3545.html
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Have you tried Cabelas? Or this place?

Good part about Cabelas is you may be able to pick it up at a nearby store.
BacktoRoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #13

I was thinking wirescreen too but the 1/8".That is what I used for bug screens on the furnace and water heater.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #14

If you are handy you might make your own using SUPER SCREEN The Only Indestructible Bug Screen. Lifetime Warranty.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote