Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2017, 10:35 PM   #1

Neighbors dogs very dangerous. Need advice.

This has been an ongoing battle since 2015. We live in the rural south in the woods on a lake. Our neighbors are renting a house. We are in the county and not in the city.

I am not afraid of dogs. I worked at the humane society for years. A dog you aren't familiar with should respected, not be trusted. I have been barked at by all kinds of dogs. These dogs mean harm and think we are a threat to their territory.

The neighbors dogs think our property is their territory. There are several acres between us we each are on a couple acres. They aren't even directly across the road. The dogs come on our property and corner us aggressively snarling and growl barking with their hackles up. One dog is a black lab and the other is a greyhound pittbull mix. I feel bad for the dogs, its the owners fault but they are dangerous. Honestly the first day they trapped me against my car I should have shot them. I CC and was ready and then animal control showed up. I foolishly thought that if animal control sees two dogs threatening to attack someone and then turns on them that the dogs would never be coming back. Nope, the owner paid $25 and not even consideration to the dogs aggressiveness.

Welcome to the south. So the other day Im in the camper with the door wide open. My house, my camper and I was moving things inside and out. I hear the dogs, they hear me talking to my husband on the phone and come flying into the camper. I absolutely scream bloody murder and threw things at the dogs and they ran off.

The animal control says, no pics, the dogs weren't out of the yard when they got there the owner heard me scream and brought the dogs in the house.

Animal control says the dogs have to attack me for them to do anything.
The owners pick up their dog and then asks us why we had their dogs hauled off. Really? I have let the owners know of my plans to end our misery being terrified to be outside having to CC to mow the lawn? yeah we shouldn't have to.

So....tonight we are sorting out the stuck awning on the trailer. We catch sight of the dogs at the bottom of the drive and hightail it up on the deck going into the house. We got pics and then the one dog came flying up the deck steps. Again shouldn't have to CC while working on the camper but should have been.

I am so angry. I think the dogs killed my rooster too. The dog owners are too redneck to care.

I tracked down what I am pretty sure are the home owners. Wow...Florida sure puts everyones info right out there for everyone to see.

I know their insurance company will probably drop the policy when they find out about the dogs. I haven't quite figured out how to find the insurance company except to just start calling around and informing them.

I could get an attorney to construct a letter to the owners of the house. Part of me wants to sue them for suffering. LOL but unless I put in a security system Ill never have enough proof that this continues to be an issue.

Do I just shoot the dogs? I have a hard time with this but what about others safety. The neighbors being true southerners don't complain they just don't walk past their house. The neighbors dogs even attacked their dog and they don't do anything.

I am not discharging mace around my house or camper. That stuff is nasty and with the crap added to it now you can't wash it off anything. That would mean more suffering because of the stupid neighbors.

My plan is to address this all to the homeowners. I just don't know how to best present it. Im totally screwed if they just decide to sell to the loser neighbors to get away from the situation. I want to hit them hard and firmly so they have to take some action on this situation. Just not sure which direction to take.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2017, 10:46 PM   #2

There is no place in my neighborhood for a viscous dog and there should be no place in your 'hood either. You need to do the three S's. Shoot, shovel and shut up. You have done your part to be a "good" neighbor and have contact the authorities and gave the neighbors notice. You know if the dogs do attack you or your family the dog's owners will have the same reaction they currently have. Put them down.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I don't know if it will work or not... Kevin Costnerin Dance With Wolfs, peed on his territory. Drink lots of fluids. LOL
'99 Ultimate Freedom, UKQ38KD, on a Freightliner chassis, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon .... Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:55 PM   #4

Aggressive dogs cornering you on YOUR property........

Once!

After that DEAD dog(s). And then I would inform Sheriff & Animal Control letting them know I shot the dog(s)
They can then inform dog(s) owner

In mean time....continue calling Animal Control every time you see dog(s)
AND by all means ..CONTACT the real home owner/landlord and place them on notice that tenent has agressive/vicious dogs and that THEY are now on record .

Document all contacts...pictures, certified letter to home owner/landlord, phone records of calls to Animal Control (times/dates/names/response etc)

Do NOT put up with this!

DEAD dog.....period!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After the neighbors pit bull attacked my dog and me I now carry bear spray when I am out walking. If ever a dog charges me I again i will spray them. Spraying the dogs won't kill them and I won't go to jail for putting them down.

I have been told that many home owners policies have riders that exclude coverage for certain breeds. The home owner is on their own. I won in small claims court but haven't collected a penny yet. I have another court date in 2 weeks.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:22 PM   #6

Another option is a live animal trap that you can rent (typically $25 that you get back if you catch their dog). The dogs will not be able to resist whatever you put in to bait the traps. Once in the trap it is very likely illegal for anyone other than animal control to release the dog.

You catch the dog, animal control shows up to "arrest" the dog and the owners pay big bucks to get the dog out of jail. Once you hit them in the pocket book a few times they will learn to keep their dogs on their own property.

And for sure, put the home owners on notice. Contact them by phone followed up by a certified letter. In many states the home owners mailing address is listed on the county property records on line or at the court house. Once the property owner of a piece of rental property is notified of dangerous dogs they may become partly liable for any damage/injury from said dogs.

If you decide to shoot the dogs make absolutely sure you are a great shot at a moving target. If you wound the dog and it makes it off your property and you can't prove beyond a shadow of doubt that it was being aggressive toward you then you could be held liable for cruelty which may include both civil and criminal penalties. I can almost guarantee you that shooting the dog will cost you lots of money in the long run.

Good luck. There is nothing worse than fearing for your life on your own property.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Another option is a live animal trap that you can rent (typically $25 that you get back if you catch their dog). The dogs will not be able to resist whatever you put in to bait the traps. Once in the trap it is very likely illegal for anyone other than animal control to release the dog.

You catch the dog, animal control shows up to "arrest" the dog and the owners pay big bucks to get the dog out of jail. Once you hit them in the pocket book a few times they will learn to keep their dogs on their own property.

And for sure, put the home owners on notice. Contact them by phone followed up by a certified letter. In many states the home owners mailing address is listed on the county property records on line or at the court house. Once the property owner of a piece of rental property is notified of dangerous dogs they may become partly liable for any damage/injury from said dogs.

If you decide to shoot the dogs make absolutely sure you are a great shot at a moving target. If you wound the dog and it makes it off your property and you can't prove beyond a shadow of doubt that it was being aggressive toward you then you could be held liable for cruelty which may include both civil and criminal penalties. I can almost guarantee you that shooting the dog will cost you lots of money in the long run.

Good luck. There is nothing worse than fearing for your life on your own property.

Their fee is $25-125. Only a nuisance for the owner to have to pick up the dogs each time. Maybe animal control will get tired of the 45 minute one way drive. Lol

The reality is we live in the woods and probably would end up with a coyote or fox instead.

We both have range memberships and cc. We do get some practice. But as all cc holders need to acknowledge, a pressure situation is very different.

I am contacting the owners tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Their fee is $25-125. Only a nuisance for the owner to have to pick up the dogs each time. Maybe animal control will get tired of the 45 minute one way drive. Lol

The reality is we live in the woods and probably would end up with a coyote or fox instead.

We both have range memberships and cc. We do get some practice. But as all cc holders need to acknowledge, a pressure situation is very different.

I am contacting the owners tomorrow.
We live in the woods too but have much stricter animal control laws as people value their private property rights.

A live trap here requires a fully refundable $25 deposit. If you catch a pet the owner pays between $75 to $150 (price depending on if the pet is fully vaccinated and registered) for the first offence. On the second offence the trap fee is $150 plus the cost of any overdue vaccinations or registrations or boarding fees. Third and future offences are $300 plus fees.

Good luck. I know how frustrated you are. We had a nuisance dog give us grief for about a year. Caught it 3 times. Never saw it again after that.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:04 AM   #9

12 gauge with buckshot is way better than your CC.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
12 gauge with buckshot is way better than your CC.
Bird shot. They will go home and die and you will not have to deal with the bodies or questions. If they don't die then big vet bills.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:33 AM   #11

Motion activated game cameras in various locations to record their comings and goings
Old 08-15-2017, 06:57 AM   #12

I know the red neck type you speak of, and also the issues they have with logic.

I would start with a letter from an attorney to the homeowner's. Nothing too threatening but a strong promise of legal action if damage occurs.

Maybe they have no idea that the dogs are there. But now they would be on notice that a hazardous situation is present.

After that I would use low concentration pepper spray. Some have dye added for ID.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
After that I would use low concentration pepper spray. Some have dye added for ID.
https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Labs-Mean...dp/B008VOS824/
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #14

Some good advice here on these post. I would not put up with a threatening animal of any kind. We live in the country on a dead end road. For some reason sub-humans seem to think it is OK to drop their unwanted pets off in the country to fend for themselves, and we get a buildup of dogs and cats. Suddenly the coyotes will come through and that takes care of the dog population. The cats escape by climbing the trees, so we have to trap them and take them to the shelter. I really really really hate to do this, but enough is enough. I would imagine we have transported 8 cats to the shelter so far. (BTW, besides cats, we have caught opossums, skunks, a turtle, and a racoon.)

Like has been said, don't put up with it. Document document document and take action.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice