Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Once again Mr. Armstrong looks down upon us. This time for eternity.

RIP Brave American.

Don and Mary
'00 Bluebird Skoolie Conversion
Geo Tracker/Dodge Neon/Aprilia Scooter towed
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another great one gone. Our hats off and salute to him.

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
So many hero's pass each day, great and small, but one embodies them all in his courage, strength of character, and notoriety. We mourn the loss of a man who by "just doing his job" showed so much of what the true human spirit is capable of. While those of us old to remember hearing "The Eagle has landed", Neil Armstrong will be forever in our minds each time we look up to the Moon and I will also remember other fallen hero's I had the pleasure to know over many years.
R.I.P Neil and Peter J Weidemier PFC USMC 1947-Jun 3, 1968 Quang Nam, South Vietnam.
2005 Itasca Meridian 34H w/350 Cat
plus 450 W solar power
2009 Jeep Wrangler
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #18
I think everyone old enough to remember where they were when we head the Eagle has landed back on july 20 1969. Niel Armstongs Famous words one step for Man and one step for Man kind, while i watched on the old black and white Tv. One of the great hero's of our time.
RIP Neil Armstrong
Scott Stielow IC1(SW) USN Retired
Scotty14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #19
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was a newspaper boy in 1957; had a morning route. At 4am I would gather and fold my papers in the entry way to our home preparing for delivery. I was alone at that time everyone else was asleep. Each morning more news of the soviet attempts to send a satellite into space. Finally the headline screemed SPUTNIK one morning. I felt awful, alone and vulnerable. I was sad to place that news on every door step that morning.

The days following in school the entire demeaner changed in our teachers. They spoke of how important science was going to be going forward. Then the seemingly endless news broadcast of missles blowing up on site; spewing off course, tumbling into huge fireballs and showers of debris.

The soviets put an astronaut into space. This was a time when people were digging bomb shelters in their backyard and we had air raid siren test and drills at school.

Finally we strapped a man to the top of one of those Model T's of the space age and we hurled a man into space. The race was on, and a new president announced that we would put a man on the moon before the end of the decade of the sixties. How bold and sure. And what a decade was as I remember back.

It culminated with the famous ride of Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins. What a difference in twelve short years to hear a voice from the moon an American Astronaut in such a sure and steady tone.

Could there have been a better pick than Neil Armstrong? I don't think so. He, as they all did, inspired us with his skill and daring. More than that however Neil Armstrong lived a life examplar after he gathered his fame. He was a great pilot, astronaut, but it turns out a great and humble servant to the American way. A unique man among men; the perfect choice, Neil Armstrong.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #20
Newmar Owners Club
What many may not know about Neil Armstrong is he was a hero before the space flight. He had 111 combat missions i Vietnam as a bomber pilot and was a test pilot for many of the newer faster jets. All before he was an astronaut.
May he rest in peace.
A final Hand Salute to you Sir.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale)* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 * Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
What many may not know about Neil Armstrong is he was a hero before the space flight. He had 111 combat missions i Vietnam...
Many folks make that mistake for most of the early astronauts and various well intended internet postings often repeat this mistake so it is easy to get it wrong. If the early astronauts did have combat experience it was in Korea. Neal Armstrong flew 78 fighter combat missions in Korea.

Was Neil Armstrong in the Vietnam war

Neil Armstrong
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #22
Astronauts - The last American Heros........................

If anyone has not seen the movie "The Right Stuff", you are missing a great film about great men. Even better, IMO, than "Apollo 13"
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #23
That moment on one July night back in 1969 is one that one never forgets. I was glued to the TV along with my wife and family to view the event as it happened. It is like it was burned into the brain cells. I can remember it was like yesterday. All the hooping and hollering when he touched the ground. There are not many things in life you remember like this!!

RIP Neil, you were one of my true heros
Wayne and Susan
2012 Georgetown 351 DS | 2012 Ford Focus-Brake Buddy
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #24
Texas Boomers Club

"Houston, Tranquility Base here.
The Eagle has landed."

"That's one small step for man,
one giant leap for mankind."

God bless you Mr. Armstrong
USA, USA, USA !!!....
2005 Montana Mountaineer
Huffman, Texas
goldpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
A true American hero!

He admitted some years later that he misspoke when he took his famous first step on the moon.

He said; "One small step for man....."

He had planned to say; "One small step for a man......"
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #26
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i went to an award ceremony today at work (NASA Langley) and this had been applied to the walkway outside the Reid Conference Center:

1999 Winnebago Minnie 29', Ford V10, Close to stock.
W4MBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #27
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
i went to an award ceremony today at work (NASA Langley) and this had been applied to the walkway outside the Reid Conference Center
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #28
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i thought so. nobody even mentioned it, i just happened to see it on my way out. although he was mentioned in the opening remarks as "a reluctant hero, just doing his job".

1999 Winnebago Minnie 29', Ford V10, Close to stock.
W4MBG is offline   Reply With Quote