Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Never buy anything from Lowrance again

I have a Iway 250 from Lowrance. I broke the mount for the GPS and called Lowrance for replacement. The cost was $15.45 for the part with shipping. They sent the wrong part not even close to fitting on any GPS . I called customer service back and got a RA # for a return to which I had to pay shipping. (almost $4.00) It took over a month to get it credit on my credit card and all I got was $6.45 due to a restocking fee. I called them and complained with no avail. I am furious at them.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I know the ftustration! Not particularly with this business however I have had similar experiences. The Internet has made it easy for a business to develop without much credibility or proven reputation. Therefore if you shop on line it can be exasperating when there is a problem with the order. I have recently made the habit of checking out the BBB.org website to check on a business before I place an order. If the business is not listed with the BBB I do not purchase. If the business is registered with BBB, it has an assigned ratings (A-F) and an evaluation and also lists complaint statistics. Also a key factor is the business address. If the address is just a mailing address or is listed as “suite no” this is most likely a store front mailbox service. I avoid purchasing from these merchants also. For the record Lowrance has a C- rating with BBB.

(Edited post to standard Verdana 2 font for readability per Community Rules)
namwob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info, didn't give the business address any thought, but will in the future. The check with BBB also makes sense, will do that before placing an order next time.

I too have gone through the hassle and expense of returning
incorrect items when the fault was not mine.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I did not order this on line. I called and talked with someone in customer service and told then I need a new mount for my Iway 250. I am having to pay for their mistake. When I called back to tell them I got the wrong part, they did not have the part I needed.
Tom
Old 11-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #5

Some "business's adopt the attitude-- If we ignore them long enough they will go away. Poor way to conduct a business . I would write a letter (include copy of receipt) to them explaining the situation, ask for a resolution, either a complete refund of your total expenses or the correct part. Include a deadline for resolution but don't threaten with complaints to BBB, local C of C, small claims court or such. They already know the possibilities open to you; it will be pouring vinegar on the wound(so to speak).
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
KIX

Since you charged the original purchase on your credit card there may be another avenue open to you.

Contact your CC customer service and explain that you are disputing the original charge and the partial refund. They have the ability to charge back against Lowrance and then Lowrance will have to justify why the partial refund to resolve the dispute. Maybe you'll win and maybe you won't but you will certainly take up a Lowrance employees time addressing your dispute.

Good Luck.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Not to excuse Lowrance's supposed bad behavior, but the iWay model you have has been discontinued for several years. It may not be possible to get the part you want as Lowrance has not made that unit for some time.

My experience with the company has been positive, though I no longer own my iWay 350. I gave it to my daughter when I could no longer get the software updates from Lowrance. It works fine for her purposes, though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my opinion, the person on the phone employed by Lowrance, should never have taken the order for a discontinued product. If someone knowledgeable had been the customer contact person, the whole incedent could have been avoided. Tom should receive the full price, without shipping and restocking charges, from Lowrance.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I am out around $10 and I am sure it will hurt them a lot more than me.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #10

You're right on that. I was considering buying a Lowrance GPS, but that is now canceled.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I use my laptop on a RAM mount (like you see in police cars) that runs Microsoft Streets and Trips. There is a construction update function that keeps the database current, and the package even comes with a GPS thumb receiver. Great value for less than $70 not including the laptop, which if you have a spare one, makes for a great GPS package.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I agree with the previous poster. Let your CC company know. For the amount involved, most likely you will get a credit on your account and that will be the end of it.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Unfortunately the last few years Lowrance has been going down hill. Even their marine units are outdated. Main complaint is they are no longer user friendly. Hearing your experience, though, it may be a company that is resting on its laurels and the laurels aren't giving them the support anymore. Maybe time to get to the designing room and work up something new and also design a more user friendly customer service department.
sharbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I am looking to buy a new GPS next year before we go to the IRV2 National. I have a Garmin on the boat and it is user friendly. I probably going to get a Garmin but not sure which one. They must have done away With the Iway 250 just after I got it as I had it for three years.