Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by acampingwewillgo View Post

I read with some amusement about JQ public complaining about a patrol car speeding pass them stating whats good for the goose is good for the gander. If you have the slightest idea about the "coding" of calls responded to by officers you would understand why sometimes officers speed past without red lights and sirens on! If that patrol car was responding to YOUR non Code 3(red lights and siren) request for help, would you not want them to get there as soon as possible? I would!
This is why I think it's a good idea for them to use at least put their lights on (which I've witnessed) so drivers that pay attention to their rear view mirrors will try to safely get out of the officer's way.

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #30
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
This is why I think it's a good idea for them to use at least put their lights on (which I've witnessed) so drivers that pay attention to their rear view mirrors will try to safely get out of the officer's way.
I am sure that Ca. & Wa. are alike in this respect. There are only certain things that lights are to be used for, not just because you want to get some where quick. I spent many years on fire depts. and that was the way it was for us.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #31

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
jodann and acampingwewillgo ...

refreshing and honest views both !

jodann, i hope you can regain the confidence in our sometimes lousy freeway safety that you can recapture that vacation idea of yours .... I am sorry to hear that your RV pleasure was taken because of it

and,
acampingwewillgo ..... thank you hoss, sometimes the other folk who claim they have cancelled their vacations to CA because they are afraid of the fines they will get if they speed or run red lights, all while driving their large RV's !!!!, makes me so terribly sorrowful () until I hear the voice of experienced reason such as yourself, right-on brother
keep safe and slow out there folks, every State has a code of driving laws

SanDiego, Careful, NO_TICKET, 50 year ol' Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by acampingwewillgo

I appauld CA for discouraging abusive and unsafe driving.....
Ok so this is where I agree with you and disagree at the same time. I have no problem with deterring unsafe driving and have always endevored to drive safely. But I respectly submit that that's not where it ends in CA.

The guy that goes around fining our sleepy neighborhood for petty fines (e.g parking at 25" instead of 18", or parking for longer than 72hrs (the old lady got that one opposite us) or the front wheel not touching the curb on a motorbike (our neighbor down the street got that one)) is just looking for $$. And then the City contracts out their cameras to an external company with a strong vested interest to fine who place them in sneaky locations (e.g. the corner where we were fined where you cannot see oncoming traffic without pulling forward). That smells of entrapment to me.

Unfortunately raising fines combined with the CA deficit just encourages more of this practice IMHO. I am all for safe driving, but I hate to see some of the extremes that come out of the system.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I like driving in the states and have witnessed many speeding stops on the NY highway between Buffalo and Rochester and also on the highway between Buffalo and Erie PA. I have no problem with police apprehending speeders or bad drivers.

What got me was a doodle in the mid west who gave an infraction ticket because a clearance light was out on an RV. There are one on each of the west coast mirrors, three top centre and one at each top corner. The light top corner right was out and an infraction issued. I would have thought that a warning would have sufficed but what the hey, that state will just be avoided from now on.

I was stopped in WA on I-5 for doing the posted (65 mph) towing out tent trailer and all I got was a warning that when you tow you do the commercial speeds; I'm cool with that and towed the line from there on.

Sometimes the old Georgia Speed Trap comes to mind in some places.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #34

I have seen the way CA works. We had a Jaguar that we traded. Almost two years later CA DMV comes after us for a ticket or something. Title and registration of the new owner were in CA where the crime took place yet they launched a fishing expedition reaching out to us in NM. Had to jump through hoops to satisfy them. It is pretty in CA but I want no part of it, especially in light of this, "Enhanced Enforcement".
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #35

I just have to add this.....if an Officer is coming into a residential neighborhood issuing citations for 72 hours and curb violations.....generally and I mean generally, this is because one of your neighbors has complained.
A Parking control officer "might" randomly issue a citation because he was in your area But Id bet my Winchell's Donut to dimes, someone complained about parking habits in your area. A Busy COP would not waste their time looking for parking violators unless directed to do so...IMHO

Also, Im not overly fond of photo enforcement myself, it is what it is.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #36

I had a neighbor once park her broke down minivan in front of my house for a few months. I didn't complain it made it look like someone was home. I was only there on weekends. Turned out the street sweeper complained to the PD. So cop comes to my door to have me move the van. Told him it's not mine. He went next door and told her to move it. She thought I turned her in. The next couple of months she lived there it was a pain.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
Oh Well!!!!! While a lot of you are freezing your butts off. I'm here in good ole sunny southern California, having a nice cool glass of lemonade, relaxing in a lawn chair. Oh and by the way, I obey the laws. They are there for a reason.
And how far from the curb is that lawn chair.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
I think you put it very well.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #39

I really hate to defend California. The fines you mention in the thread are just the beginning. Local fees and court fees are added, make a $100 fine about $300, etc. However, parking in a handicap space, running a red light, passing a school bus with exiting children....I personally can think of punishments by far greater than just monetary requirements.
Yes, the State is trying to balance the budget by raising fines. However, watching people drive without any regard for those around them sort of justifies whatever punishment is given.
JMHO.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #40
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And, 99 and 99/100 percent of the time when I get a ticket it is my fault. The other 1/100 of a percent it is the wife's. I try to use that 1/100th's to my advantage.

That 18 inch rule was there in the 60's, so it's nothing new.

There is a sure fire way of not getting a ticket. Okay! I'll tell you. Don't break the law. Just think! If no one broke the law they could make every ticket $2000 and nobody would pay, then what are they going to do to get revenue. Yep! Raise taxes more. One way or another you are going to pay, so let the law breakers pay.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
I really hate to defend California. The fines you mention in the thread are just the beginning. Local fees and court fees are added, make a $100 fine about $300, etc. However, parking in a handicap space, running a red light, passing a school bus with exiting children....I personally can think of punishments by far greater than just monetary requirements.
Yes, the State is trying to balance the budget by raising fines. However, watching people drive without any regard for those around them sort of justifies whatever punishment is given.
JMHO.
I agree. I just wish there were more police to enforce the laws I see broken every day. It has been against the law in California for a couple of years to use a cell phone while driving. Yet about half of the cars I see on the road the driver has one plastered to their ear. California has had a law for 30 years on the height you can lift a truck. Yet I see them all the time well above height. California has had a law against tinting of windsheild and driverside and passanger front windows. Yet I see vehicles everyday with dark tint in all but windsheild. If California was to enforce the laws that are on the books they would be a billion closer to closeing the deficet.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
About a week ago I got an email "HUGE California Traffic Tickets Fines Effective 01/06/2011" and spent quite a bit of time searching for a reliable source to back up the $$$ claims and thinking the email content may be bogus.

I found nothing on the LA Times website and found no other source that listed the fine amounts.

I did get this reply from my brother-in-law:
As a California trial court employee, I don't see anything on there that wasn't already there. The fines you mentioned are the same as they have been (steadily growing but nothing due to the new year.)

The only "new as of this year" type violation I know of is Arnold making small amounts of weed an infraction rather than a misdemeanor, which is good because there's no need to have the potheads clogging up the misdemeanor courtrooms/public defenders/DAs.

Has anyone confirmed this story and fines from another source???

Bill

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote