Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
It wasn't even about the use of fetal stem cells, it was about federal funding of fetal stem cell research using cells that weren't from "approved" (existing?) lines...

liz
Just some more info on the debate. not looking to argue just trying to help clear up the issue.

Support for Non-Embryonic Stem-Cell Research:
There is no controversy about research involving all of these types of stem cells. In fact, the Catholic Church has publicly supported adult and umbilical-cord stem-cell research, and Church leaders were among the first to applaud the discovery of amniotic stem cells and to call for further research.

Opposition to Embryonic Stem-Cell Research:
The Church has consistently opposed research on embryonic stem cells, however. For several years now, many scientists have called for greater research on embryonic stem cells, because they believe that embryonic stem cells exhibit greater pluripotency (the ability to divide into different types of cells) than, say, adult stem cells.
The public debate around stem-cell research focused entirely on embryonic stem-cell research (ESCR)

• First, the preparation of embryonic stem cells from a living embryo requires the destruction of the embryo, which the Church teaches is a gravely immoral act.
  • Second, some scientists have used cloning to produce embryos in order to harvest stem cells. While these embryos are not created in the normal manner, the Church recognizes that they, too, are alive, and their destruction is gravely immoral.
  • Third, the Church opposes the use of embryonic stem-cell lines that already exist for the same reason that She opposes the creation of new lines: Those lines began with the destruction of innocent human life.
It doesn’t matter whether scientific advances may be made through ESCR; the Church teaches that we can never do evil, even if good may come of it, and there is no way to obtain embryonic stem cells without destroying innocent human life.

zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #16

I don't understand the science behind any of this stem cell stuff. All I know is if they can grow me some new joints to replace the ones that Rheumatoid Arthritis has taken out, I'd be very greatful.

The idea that my immune system is attacking me just makes no sense.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesBarth View Post
I don't understand the science behind any of this stem cell stuff. All I know is if they can grow me some new joints to replace the ones that Rheumatoid Arthritis has taken out, I'd be very greatful.

The idea that my immune system is attacking me just makes no sense.
Just wait until the idiotic safety nannies out there finish with our kids. They have kept their own kids so aseptic that the children's immune systems are fighting them more and more. In our era part of growing up was getting dirty and from that dirt our immune systems developed and improved. With all this germ free stuff being foisted by big companies and promoted by well meaning but mindless nannies our kids will all die younger than us.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Just wait until the idiotic safety nannies out there finish with our kids. They have kept their own kids so aseptic that the children's immune systems are fighting them more and more. In our era part of growing up was getting dirty and from that dirt our immune systems developed and improved. With all this germ free stuff being foisted by big companies and promoted by well meaning but mindless nannies our kids will all die younger than us.

How true it is

zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote