Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2011, 05:41 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
New Project...Have Questions...

OK, So I have a new project that I'm taking on. I'm getting a really terrific deal on a 1996 Chevy Tahoe with a lift kit. Trouble is, it's been sitting for about 4 years. I know the gas tank needs to be drained and refilled with fresh gas. My question is, where do I take the old gas, and what do I put it in? The tank is about 3/4 full. Anyone have any ideas? Here's a few pics of the project...

John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2011, 05:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I also plan on doing the seafoam thing to clean the injectors, etc. I've heard that you can use that stuff in the crankcase as well to clean the internals...
Old 06-28-2011, 06:02 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Does it run?

If it were me, I'd throw a couple or three cans of Seafoam into the gas tank and take a few short trips to burn up the old stuff (with AAA card in hand, of course).

Its not like it gets algae like diesel fuel.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
think about this........ Gasoline is lighter than water.............. If the gas tank has a ''low point drain'' of some kind, get a bucket and a proper wrench and take the fuel line off the tank SLOWLY and let the water dribble out of the tank. When you start getting Gasoline...... CLOSE THE DRAIN POINT. Put in some of the ''Water Evaporator'' stuff in the tank and drive around sloshing it back and forth. If it runs ok you got it made.
One other thing you might consider is pulling the spark plugs and squarting in Marvel Mystory oil in each cylender and let the car set for a couple days to let the Marvel Mystory oil penetrate the rings and ''top lube'' the cylenders ........ Leave the plugs out and turn the engine over to discharge the Marvel mystory oil from the cylenders and get a rag and wipe up the mess. Replace the plugs and fire it up. It will smoke a little till you burn out the Marvel mystory oil........ (you have noticed I can not spell ''Mystery'' I hope) ..... Run something thru the system to clean the injectors and the fuel system also ..... GOOD LUCK ......

If you use this valuable information you must pay me ten cents the next time you see me ....... of course, IF IT DONT WORK FOR YOU........I NEVER KNEW YOU.....

Pray for our troops ........
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Yea, that's my plan Senior Chief. It turns over, but I haven't been able to get it running yet. I have to get the battery charged up first. I did find out that the battery is an '09 though, so apparently it hasn't been sitting as long as I thought. The inspection sticker and license tag are '07 though. I'm hoping I can just do the Seafoam thing and crank some up into the engine and let it sit a couple of hours. But if that doesn't do it, I think I'll have to drain the gas.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
think about this........ Gasoline is lighter than water.............. If the gas tank has a ''low point drain'' of some kind, get a bucket and a proper wrench and take the fuel line off the tank SLOWLY and let the water dribble out of the tank. When you start getting Gasoline...... CLOSE THE DRAIN POINT. Put in some of the ''Water Evaporator'' stuff in the tank and drive around sloshing it back and forth. If it runs ok you got it made.
One other thing you might consider is pulling the spark plugs and squarting in Marvel Mystory oil in each cylender and let the car set for a couple days to let the Marvel Mystory oil penetrate the rings and ''top lube'' the cylenders ........ Leave the plugs out and turn the engine over to discharge the Marvel mystory oil from the cylenders and get a rag and wipe up the mess. Replace the plugs and fire it up. It will smoke a little till you burn out the Marvel mystory oil........ (you have noticed I can not spell ''Mystery'' I hope) ..... Run something thru the system to clean the injectors and the fuel system also ..... GOOD LUCK ......

If you use this valuable information you must pay me ten cents the next time you see me ....... of course, IF IT DONT WORK FOR YOU........I NEVER KNEW YOU.....

Pray for our troops ........

I'll give that a shot also Seajay! If it works, adult beverage of your choice is on me...next time I see you of course.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #7

Hopefully the old gas hasn't gotten gummy yet-I read a post once where a guy had a car sitting 14 yrs and when he got it started it ran ok- (better with new gas of course-) .
I'd squirt some oil into the cylinders, charge the battery, change out the fluids, new plugs, new wiper blades, Armour-All the rubber seals around the doors, windows, etc, new filters, throw some Sea Foam into the gas tank, and crank it up. I'd mix a gallon or two of new gas with the the old gas and run it out.. then run at least 91 octane for 5 gallons or so.
Nice looking Tahoe btw!
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:19 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks 87. I think it'll be worth the $1500 he's asking. Retail book on it is $5000...of course that doesn't mean too much these days.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
If it has been sitting that long, the in tank fuel pumps are bad about giving up. Inactivity is a killer to the in tank fuel pump. Check the wiring under the hood and chassis. Squirals and mice love to chew on wiring.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:22 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas, will do...the wires look good. The pump in the fuel tank...may not. I have a mechanic coming out today to look at it. I did the Sea Foam in the tank, dropped some mystery oil into the cylinders via plug removal, but she just isn't getting gas. I'm thinking I'll have the mechanic drain the fuel tank and check the pump and fuel filter. I also talked the seller down to $1000.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Twice in the last few months I have helped revive vehicles that have been setting for a while ( ford explorer and pontiac sunbird ), both time we had to replace the intank fuel pump because they were not getting fuel.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:40 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Yea, I replaced the fuel pump yesterday and drained the gas. Pump still isn't working. Replaced the pump solenoid also. Not sure why the pump is not getting fire.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:42 AM   #13
D&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_N_Terry View Post
Yea, I replaced the fuel pump yesterday and drained the gas. Pump still isn't working. Replaced the pump solenoid also. Not sure why the pump is not getting fire.
Anyone check the rollover switch that shuts power off to the pump, they also sometimes trip after hitting a hard bump.

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
D&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J View Post
Anyone check the rollover switch that shuts power off to the pump, they also sometimes trip after hitting a hard bump.

Denny
No...where is that at?