Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #29

While I was still working as Production Manager at the daily newspaper, economic times started getting tougher for the newspaper industry, and the owner/publisher decided to cut pension benefits to save $$$. I responded by quitting my job, since I too figured "a contract is a contract", and a promise a promise!

Since I was the only one in the plant capable of keeping the press and networked computer systems operating, he quickly decided he needed ME more than the $80+K he would have save in my pension, and restored my pension.

Other employees were not as crucial as I was to the operation, and didn't come out as well as I did...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #30

President Reagan busted the nation-wide air traffic controllers union and the nation didnt' fall apart. I suspect the same is in store for these states.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 02-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #31

Not all governments are in the condition it seems your governments are in right now. I live in Suffolk County in NY. We have a PAID IN FULL government. Our county government has been run by our county executive with FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY as his MAIN JOB. We are NOT like the rest of NY. In addition, though we pay high taxes here in NY, our county taxes have not changed very much. Our county executive did not fall prey to the phony increases in property values as an invitation to throw out his fiscal responsibilities. He had many battles to fight over the past 7 years. As an example, a newly hired employee does not get the same "deal" as a current employee. This is not a new occurrence because of the past two years declines. Of those new employees very few gripe about this because it is explained simply. Those who do complain are usually the ones who FORGOT how happy they were to get the job. Our county executive was not a coward. He told everyone the truth. He still runs a tight ship.

My county is PROOF that you have been cheated by your "leaders".

Your "leaders" are not trustworthy. They do not honor their agreements. Had they been good fiscally responsible "leaders" they would not have to sneak out of deals they never should have made.

With all this fiscally responsible activity we still pay far more to our police and sheriffs than our neighbor NY CITY. Our other employees are not going broke either unless they too made fiscally irresponsible decisions.

Our county executive lost his bid to run as governor. Not by his performance but by the political machine being afraid of him.

Suffolk County in NY. We're not BROKE. Your government shouldn't be either.

I'm adding this as an example of how a government can work:

Here in Suffolk County they are under what they call LAG PAY. If they see a shortfall they make a deal with the employees. They'll withold two weeks pay for the year to be repaid when the funds are available or when you retire. Rather than take the full two weeks suddenly they take one day every couple of pay periods over a period of about 5 months. This keeps people working and allows the government some flexibility as conditions change. They've done this for at least 20 years.

Just an example.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #32

I am a government employee. I plan to retire after 35 years of service next year. My rub is this; I joined the fire department not because we made big money, because we don't, but because of the decent benefit package that included a stable retirement check.

When the economy was good, all my friends that were contractors and real estate agents were making $300,000-400,000 dollars annually. They would tease me about making the wrong decision with my career choice. Now those same folks, are making next to nothing or are on unemployment. I still get the same benefits for getting up at 3 a.m. and taking care of others problems, and that I am happy for.

I will say that I am totally ok with a tiered system. Take new hires and make them pay for more of their retirement contributions. Then when they take the job they know what they are getting into. Don't change the existing plan mid-stream at the expense of people who made the life choice at that time.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
Old 02-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #33
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Just watched an interview of Jim Holperin DEM from Wisconson that is in Illinois and won't come back. He's driving a foreign car
Old 02-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #34
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Just googled it and I'm not the only one that noticed.

What a great Union Backer
Old 02-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #35

The greatest percentage of foreign car ownership is in none other than Washington, DC. Also check out the faculty parking lots of your local schools and see what the fine union folks at your local schools are driving.

One of my clients was picking on me and asked me when I'm going to start driving a Japanese car. I told him, "When there aren't any US cars made!" I don't care for unions but if you aren't happy with seeing jobs go overseas then you should be driving something made in the US.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #36
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Exactly
Old 02-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #37

Just a reminder that many "foreign" cars are made right here in the good ole US of A by good ole boys and girls in SC, Mississippi, Alabama, Tenn. etc. These cars are made by folks in right to work states and are doing just fine without Union "Help".

Tom
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
Old 02-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #38

I'll go for "BUST THE DEAL FACE THE WHEEL".
Old 02-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I believe both Ohio and MI. Governor's and General Assembly's are pushing for rule changes to abolish collective bargaining for state union employees. Of course you knew this was coming with the new Republican Governor's....They have been protesting for a week here in Columbus.....This is purely a "bust the union" day for Ohioan's.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #40

Public unions should be outlawed and deemed unconstitutional. They use their influence and political contributions to elect people sympathetic to their cause, then they negotiate with the people they helped elect for pay and benefit packages. What a deal. The politician has little incentive to control costs as it's not there money and mostly have no clue. Again, just an opinion..

It's like a private sector union boss becoming the ceo of a company then negotiating with his former union. Can we see conflict of interest ?
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
Old 02-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi wa8yxm,
So you have no problem with the main point of my post?
Gary, I have no prblem with your post at all.

To Tax Man

I would not say my pension was non-contributory.. I Gave them a major chunk of my life.. and I was working for LESS THAN I would have made had I worked for private industry in an equivalent job (And that is per Civil Service's own study no less) so I would say I contributed big time.

Rughly 50,000 dollars worth of time (Actually that is not a large enough number) per Civil Service estimates.. NOT mine, but the bosses.

And now the boss wants to screw me.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
The governors are playing politics. They want to bust Unions! Please read the following passage, I am not addressing anyone on our site I'm just pointing out that they're using Fear to manipulate us all and turn brother against brother. Just Google the quote it's out there.

Political opinions are considered choices, and in Western democracies the right to choose one's opinions -- freedom of conscience -- is considered sacrosanct.

But recent studies suggest that our brains and genes may be a major determining factor in the views we hold.

A study at University College London in the UK has found that conservatives' brains have larger amygdalas than the brains of liberals. Amygdalas are responsible for fear and other "primitive" emotions. At the same time, conservatives' brains were also found to have a smaller anterior cingulate -- the part of the brain responsible for courage and optimism.
Make your own decisions!