Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #1
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
New robocaller scam warning

For years we have received phone calls regarding various scams. Our number is on the do-not-call list, but scammers obviously could care less. After all, if their purpose is to steal money, why would they worry about breaking the do-not-call list rules.

Here is one call we receive quite often. (We do have a business attached to our phone number.)

Quote:
Your loan application for your $250,000 business loan has been approved. Please press one to finalize the details.
No one at our number has applied for a business loan.

The other day we started getting a new scam robocall. I looked up the number and found a transcript someone made of the call.

Quote:
Hi this is a courtesy call in reference to reach an inquiry about drug or alcohol treatment if you are still looking for help Press 1 if you are no longer seeking treatment or no longer wish to receive calls please press 2.
No one at our number has ever been involved with drugs or alcohol. I am guessing that the robocall software simply dials at random, or has some type of list, and hopes to scam someone.

I did try talking to a person the other day by pressing "1". It was obvious that the female on the other end was reading from a script. She asked if it was me or someone else who needed help with drugs or alcohol. When I asked for the name of her company, she repeated the question. When I asked a second time, she disconnected the call. I guess it was obvious I wasn't going to be scammed and she moved on to the next call.

I have also heard about the pay-to-pray scammers out there as well. Evidently crooks do not have high morals.

Many folks have said to simply not answer any phone calls if you do not recognize the phone number. That doesn't work with a business, of course. We welcome new customers.

I have also been told to not answer calls outside of our own area code, or our own state. Well, that does not work either. With number portability, many folks move around the country, but keep their original phone number. Also, we have customers that have homes in different parts of the country.

I am not sure what the solution is. Maybe I am just venting. I just hope no one here falls victim to one of these scams.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #2

There are free call blocking apps. I use Calls Blacklist and Tru Caller. If a caller is not in my phone contacts they go to voice mail and my phone does not ring. If you answer these calls your number is marked as an active number on the robo caller list they all use. They also spoof their number. They will show up as a call from your area code when in reality they could be anywhere in the world. Spoofing is against the law but as you said they do not care. I wish there was a way to stop the junk mail delivered by the USPS.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #3

My question is, Why are you even answering these calls? Use a call blocker, do not answer any numbers you do not know (If it is important they will leave a voicemail), stop giving out your phone number. Every time you answer your phone, it confirms your number is a good one and it will get sold to the next spammer. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
There are free call blocking apps. I use Calls Blacklist and Tru Caller. If a caller is not in my phone contacts they go to voice mail and my phone does not ring...
Sending calls to voicemail that are not in your contacts is easy enough to turn on with the newer Samsung phones and no app is required.
It's called Do Not Disturb with the option of allowing contact's numbers to ring thru.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
My question is, Why are you even answering these calls? Use a call blocker, do not answer any numbers you do not know (If it is important they will leave a voicemail), stop giving out your phone number. Every time you answer your phone, it confirms your number is a good one and it will get sold to the next spammer. Chuck
We use the number for our business. Not every prospective customer wants to hear a recording when they first call a business. Some will, but many will not leave a message. They will simply move on to calling another business.

We cannot simply "stop giving out" our phone number. It is listed on our website, business cards, etc. We want people to call us to potentially buy our products. We want to take their calls. It's how we earn a living to eat and have a place to live.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #6

Then there is no answer to your problem and you will just need to learn to live with these calls and hang up as soon as it is apparent they are spammers. For those not using their phone as a business, my suggestions still hold hope Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:03 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I believe it is as much the phone company's responsibility as anyone else. They make money by allowing robo calls and scams that get money through the phone company. The should have a regulation that the phone company's can decline to give these "customers"
Old 05-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
This is one of the bigger issues we all face. The loss of our personal privacy. I place a lot of the blame on the telephone companies. These robo callers make over a million calls daily. The phone company has the ability (or should have) to identify where these calls originate. Surely they can lock them out. They don't, it's all about the money.

We have the ability to send a space probe to the edge of out solar system. Yet we can't stop a phone call?
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #9

you can always report it to the do not call website
https://complaints.donotcall.gov/com...aintcheck.aspx
it may take a while but if they receive enough complaints they do look into it eventually
masdixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Maybe you could give them Rachel, from Card Services, phone number? She calls me regularly... I've filed more FCC complaints than I can count. It seems to do little.
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #11

I got the impression it takes thousands...on the plus side our google listing is no longer in danger
masdixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #12

New robocaller scam warning

We found a solutions that’s working for us. Bought an AT&T house phone at Best Buy and it has an auto call block as part of the software.

If a number is in your contacts list the call comes through as normal. If they aren’t in your contacts, the phone sendsback a message for the caller to input a sequence of steps in order to complete the call. Since most scams start as pre recorded, they’re not on the line to complete the input. Call is rejected.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #13

There was a program on TV recently 60 minutes or something similar. They reported a large part of the blame goes to politicians of both parties. They claimed both political parties receive millions in donations from robocall outfits. So they have no incentive to stop it. Same with junk mail from the USPS. We pay almost half a dollar to mail a letter and the bulk mailer does it for pennies. And it fills up the landfills.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The problem with using a "call blocker" is there are times when a person or family member you know is calling from a different number than the phone number you have plugged in.

For the daily credit card rate reduction call "Card Member Services" I get every day for the last 3-4 years. If I feel "frisky" that day...I'll go along with their game. When it gets to the amount that I would like to re-finance for my credit cards, I pick a nice big number like ? $155,000 or $175,000...or if I feel really bold I go big $300,000....You be surprised at the responses I get....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote