Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #15

Well doesn't Winnie and it as a have units that look a look t like European alcove motorhomes? These would be great for my dad, he's getting very old... 67. He refuses to look at his cars back up camera. These kind of remind me of the older class a, excuse me type a of the 60s and 70s if they were made with today's materials. But they don't have the tubs. Why didn't they just make it decor choices, oh yeah claim double the models along with half the potential build combos. 1 model 2 exterior and 2 interior would be 4 variations vs 2.

What goes around and comes around. They should have made one look like an ultravan. Today's regulations make these units heavy compared to the old. They do have a nice looking front side windows kind of like a gem nev car

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Almost got up close and personal with one of these today at my local Camping World but the unit was sold almost the minute it hit the lot. A friendly sales guy would not chaperon me into the unit. I tried though. From the outside though, this think looks pretty snazzy. I know the looks aren't for everyone, but I think it's pretty cool. My wife and I are younger and "weekend warriors" at this point (no kids). This sure does seem like an appealing change up from our current 35 footer. Most of the time it's just her and I. Sleeping arrangement here intrigues me too. Lots of sleeping room for a tiny little coach. Fold out bathroom door concept is neato too. Basically, seems like a really well thought out coach. Can't wait to get inside one and take it for a spin.

TandCplusRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:53 AM   #17

I am intrigued by this coach. I want to see it and drive it but can't seem to locate one. We live in South Carolina...anyone know where I might see one?

I saw a little trip summary someone did as a promotion for Thor I guess. The writer mentioned more than once how easy it was to drive and how well it handled. I think if we can live with the size I might go for one. We have a 32 foot class A with a Ford V10 now and we love the floor plan but it rides rough and is pretty noisy.....we have been considering a smaller DP but this Axis/Vegas might be the answer for us

Any one driven one?

Jim
Old 01-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrngTrillium View Post
These would be great for my dad, he's getting very old... 67.
Be very careful who you calling "Very Old". Some of us can relate!
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #19

Heck, my 02 Ford F250 with the V10 gets maybe 14mpg and it's two wheel drive supercab.

I'd say that 12mpg for the RUV is not bad.

Don't forget, this unit rides on 16" wheels/tires. So, ride qaulity would be one of my first concerns. For the money, if you could land one for mid $60k, it's hard to beat and looks to be a very nice/manageable chassis for them that don't want a huge rig.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Be very careful who you calling "Very Old". Some of us can relate!
I Know. I think you knew I knew that.

Anyways even for those who aren't interested in this unit, any innovation in the industry is good. More choice, more people RVing the cycle of nature and all that. Also sometimes lessons learnt on one product line may bring an improvement on another product line. Plus it's very nice to see different looking units on the road and parked beside you. Who'd want to live in a cookie cutter house? Who would like it if the ONLY vehicle available was the same model/size and color. The way I look at it the more people camping the more camp related developments, the more choices I have to park.

As well this can be seen as a return to form. For those of you more experienced then I, how big was the average motorhome in the 70s? I think smaller then today.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #21

I saw the Vegas at the Florida RV show on Wednesday. It was getting a lot of attention. According to the Thor rep there the difference in the two (Vegas/Axis) is the color and the front headlight arrangement. Vegas has headlights stacked up vertically and is a beige color. Axis has headlights in a more horizontal arrangement and is gray. The rep pointed out that the opening into the engine compartment was therefore narrower.

I like the exterior look very well thought out. The rep from the local RV company said even the transporters like them and he said they hate everything else. Also the transporters are saying they got about 12 mpg on the trip from Elkhart to Tampa. The rep also said he had 5 and sold 4....held one back for the RV show.

I like it a lot and plan to drive one as soon as he gets more in...he has 5 more on order.

Jim
Old 01-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
I finally saw one today at my local Camping World. No kidding I was third in line around 12:30p.m. waiting to get in the door. They had two Vegas' - one sold, one still available. Not sure if that's still the case as the folks who went in after me - line was still there when I got done - test drove it later on.

Nice little unit. Awesome use of space in a coach so small. Decent storage. I like the exterior look a lot. I'm a sucker for the frameless windows. The clearance is REALLY low. Not sure that's a problem for me per se, but thought it worth mentioning. Mega storage in the back is adequate and pass through, but it's obstructed a bit so it's not just one big open space as in some units. Front of the coach is plenty roomy for 2-4 people. Decent couch. Comfortable driver's seat. Cockpit is nicely narrow compared to my current Class A. Kitchen seems more than enough. The closet and bathroom are definitely tiny. Little 23-25ft Class C style closet might not be enough depending on how much you carry. Easy to access overhead bins in the bedroom though, owing to the removable area between the two beds. I liked that a lot. Bathroom door that folds out to block the kitchen is pretty neat. It ends up giving you a giant dressing area. One thing I didn't "get" until I saw the bathroom is that the folding door ALWAYS folds out to open up the back area. That's the way you use the bathroom. I guess you could, theoretically, pack in there and close the door tight but I wouldn't want to. This gives me some pause regarding the privacy/sounds/etc. coming out of the bathroom. Overall though I came away really impressed.
Only real negatives are some of the fit, finish and quality was a tiny bit on the iffy side for me. Some of the same issues I had when I looked at the Thor ACE last year before buying my National. List was 89k but I'm sure there is mega-room for negotiation there.
TandCplusRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #23

TandCplusRV

I had same reaction as you. Well thought out. The show price at the RV show in Tampa was $74.9K with a couple options including the outside TV.

You said you got to drive it? Can you post some comments on the handling, etc?

Jim
Old 01-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #24

What Camping World has the Vegas?

Thanks, Jim
Old 01-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
They had a Vegas at the Chantilly, VA RV show last weekend. Nice unit. Nice price. It's the first ever class A built on a class C chassis, according to the salesman that was in it at the time. However, I think I still like the ACE 27.1 with the king size bed more.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #26

My husband and I test drove the Vegas a couple of weeks ago at a dealer close to our house. The drive was great. It handled well and he felt comfortable driving it in a pretty narrow section of the historical part of town we drove it in. It still felt big to me, but this is our first trial in a class A (We've driven an our F-250 with anArctic Fox cab-over camper for 10 years). The layout was amazing and well-planned for a shorter rig.

I was disappointed by the fit and finish however. There was an area up near the driver's side windshield where the interior wasn't cut right and you could see particle board underneath. I remember having a similar experience after looking at a Thor Chateau, layout was great, but the workmanship wasn't spot on. Does anyone have any feedback about the durability and quality of Thor brands in general?

Our dealer was asking $99,900 2 weeks ago and told us they wouldn't budge on price at all. They also told us this rig would be sold by the end of the weekend. 2 weeks later, it's on sale at the same dealership for $79,000.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #27

Some of the best photos of the Axis that I have found online:
New 2014 Thor Motor Coach Axis 24 1 Motor Home Class A at Country Creek RV Center Hattiesburg Mississippi Country Creek RV Center

Travelling With Black Labrador Retriever
szn8tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by teechforfun View Post
Does anyone have any feedback about the durability and quality of Thor brands in general?
We had a 2014 Hurricane for 3 months before we decided to trade it in. Of those 3 months, it was in the shop for a little over 6 weeks. We had multiple problems with slides and levelling jacks, along with a myriad of minor fit and finish issues. I am not a big fan of Thor.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, thor