Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #1

New to the RV life and need some help

Hello everyone. I joined this forum because my fiance and myself are planning to RV full time. The problem is, we're just starting out! We're still in the researching phases of everything and are still undecided as to what type of vehicle we want. Class A? Class B, C? Travel trailer or 5th wheel? We're still undecided but doing plenty of research. Thats why we joined this forum. It's a plethora of information right at our fingertips from experienced campers and travelers alike! Our goal is to be ready to hit the road in 2 to 3 years. So we have time to save up money and decide how we want to start our adventure. Since this is my first post here I just want to say hello to everyone in the community. We were wondering if anyone can give us some tips on how to find a cheap RV and what rig is best for fulltimers? What are the best tips you can give to newbies?
BGAkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello and welcome

I do not have much input on your question but wish you the best of luck with your quest.
Lots of knowledge here

Stefan
2004 Pace Arrow 37c w22
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGAkou View Post
Hello everyone. I joined this forum because my fiance and myself are planning to RV full time. The problem is, we're just starting out! We're still in the researching phases of everything and are still undecided as to what type of vehicle we want. Class A? Class B, C? Travel trailer or 5th wheel? We're still undecided but doing plenty of research. Thats why we joined this forum. It's a plethora of information right at our fingertips from experienced campers and travelers alike! Our goal is to be ready to hit the road in 2 to 3 years. So we have time to save up money and decide how we want to start our adventure. Since this is my first post here I just want to say hello to everyone in the community. We were wondering if anyone can give us some tips on how to find a cheap RV and what rig is best for fulltimers? What are the best tips you can give to newbies?
Welcome,you've come to a good place to gather information. Some things you need to put out are your age, do you plan on working or retired, how often will you plan on moving. There are many that only move two to three times a year, chasing warmer weather, others travel year round and home is where they are parked!

So tell us more about you and your plans or dreams!
Old 04-29-2015, 11:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome BGAkou to iRV2. This is a great site for information. Good luck on your search. We spent the last 3 years trying to decide which way to go. My suggestion would be to go look and sit in a variety of RV's. Go to RV shows, talk to other rv'rs, talk to reps from the companies. Make note of what you like and what you don't. Pay attention to storage areas. Do you already have a car that you can use as a toad or would you have to buy that too? Or if a TT, do you have the PU with enough power? We went back and forth several times before finally getting ours this year. Other things to consider would be if you get a used one, can you make minor repairs or will you need to budget upgrade and maintenance?

Hope that helps some. Use the search on this site for answers to your specific questions to see what others are saying.

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:16 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

Good luck with your search
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #9

Some good information given so far... Here's where I would start.

1. What's your budget for your RV rig? I would start here as you can likely rule out some items right out of the gate. For example, if your budget for everything is say $100K, then most Class A DPs are out unless you buy well used. If your budget is well into the hundreds, then this is not a limiting factor, and I would be more concerned on the next items.

2. What are you comfortable driving/handling? Are you comfortable with large vehicles? Can you back a trailer into a tight spot?

3. Where do you intend on going for the majority of your travels? Do you intend on going to a lot of state parks? If so, consider the shorter vehicles as a lot of places have length restrictions. Do you intend on boondockin' (staying somewhere without hookups)? You may want a Generator.

4. What kind of amenities/floorplan do you require? Dishwasher, multiple bathrooms, toy hauler, etc...

5. Will you be working from the RV? If so, what requirements does that add to the mix? Desk, place to store tools, etc...

6. Do you intend on moving often? If so, consider the time and effort involved in setup and take down. How much of that time is outside the unit (bad weather)?

We have a TT now, and were going to go with a 5er. We had the truck and trailer model picked out and the options and everything, just waiting on budget. Then I spoke to my uncle who had a Class A DP. He said that with a DP vs 5er, you can get up to stretch, go to the restroom, make a sandwich, lay down and take a nap, watch TV, etc... without stopping or leaving the rig, assuming you're not the driver. The other thing he told me was that when he's ready to stop for the night, he can simply pull into a rest area, level the coach, crank the Genset, and go to bed, all without setting foot outside. Something that would come in handy if the weather or neighborhood isn't great. Since that conversation, we've switched to looking for a Class A DP. Out budget is ~175 - 200K, so we're confident that we can get one that will fit our bill.

The DW drives a school bus for a living and I'm comfortable in just about anything, having pulled long 5th wheels in the past and even tractor trailers on private property (no Class A license). We personally like the 1.5 bath floorplans. I'm a computer programmer, so I need a desk to work from. We plan to use it for months on end during the summer when the DW is out of school.

Hopefully this helps you to narrow down your search. As someone else said, sit in a lot of RVs. Take notes of what you like and don't like. Keep a spreadsheet or good notes. Go to RV shows, best bang for the buck in terms of seeing a lot of RVs. Take your time, research the ones you like including the manufacturers. Once you narrow it down, plan on taking a trip to the factory.

Sorry for being long winded, easy to do when you type for a living... its almost like talking. Comes easy. Good luck and welcome.

Mike
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #10

Great idea! Exciting times, but filled with fears and questions and worry...we chose a fifth wheel and have no regrets...good luck!
pismocouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I was going to say that cheap was not the way to go.. But as many of us know .. Expensive equipment does not set any bar.. Just research all of your options to fit your lifestyle! Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Krafty52k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:38 PM   #12

It's simple.

If you're going to be traveling from place to place all the time, go with a Class A and a toad.

If you're going to be setting up in South Florida for 3-4 months in the winter, that's when a fifth wheel trailer is warranted.

The most popular size of diesel pusher Class A's will cost twice that of a fifth wheel AND tow truck. Insurance and personal property taxes on Class A's are also expensive unless you "reside" in a low tax state.

Upkeep on a Class A is also expensive because they're about 4x as complicated electrically as a fifth wheel.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote