Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2018, 06:38 AM   #1

New to this - Want my Teenagers to Love it!

Hey gang - we're new to this way of travel/vacationing. We did a trial run last spring with a rented TT and learned some things about what works for us and what doesn't. That was helpful when we finally decided to by a 5er as it defined some of our requirements for peace in our "home" on the road (bunkhouse with a door was primary on that list.)

My kids (15yo daughter, 13yo son) are resisting this to some degree, which I expected and was prepared for. The reality is they're not going to get excited about anything we choose to do, and won't have reasonable suggestions to contribute to a conversation (no, we can't travel Europe for 3 months...) Since they're going to be unhappy with whatever we do we decided they should be unhappy doing something we want to do.

That said, anyone have any suggestions for things to do, ways to do things that have helped your kids love RVing? I know there will be ups and downs - just like at home - and they will probably be magnified by small quarters, etc. but I'd love to get home from this trip we're taking over Christmas and have my kids look forward to the next one. Not that they'll admit they're looking forward to it, because teenagers...
ctoddrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2018, 06:52 AM   #2

For teenagers I’d suggest camping where there is cell/WiFi. That seems to top the list of teen needs
Old 12-11-2018, 07:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrktfsh View Post
For teenagers I’d suggest camping where there is cell/WiFi. That seems to top the list of teen needs
Agreed - and also part of what I'm hoping to break them away from for a bit, but we have planned a balance on this trip. 2 nights we'll be off the grid from a communications perspective, but fully connected the rest of the trip.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:22 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
The best bet is to go where they will have "fun." We went to Panama Beach almost yearly when our kids were teenagers. They loved it. Fort Wilderness at Disney World is always a winner. We also let them take a friend along on some trips. Try not to drive for extra long distances at first. Remember the old question "Are we there yet?"
Old 12-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #5

Make it fun for the kids. That means including them in some of the decisions and to some degree responsibilities.
I put my teens In Charge of the nightly campfire. Allowed them to gather or purchase the wood, set it up, light it and control it. When my boys were older I had them hook up and pull the camper out of its space a few feet. “They did this well supervised of course” They seemed genuinely excited about hooking it up and pulling it forward a couple feet.
Camping for me was family time so I focused on doing things such as fishing with the boys. My girls got into it more than the boys I think.
We played Cornhole and lawn darts.
Took their bikes with us and gave them some general guidelines but pretty much let them govern themselves within the bounds of the campground.”within reason”
Yes, I took the gaming station along and hooked it up for early morning and after dark amusement. Catch was that we played 2 player games so that I could get involved.
I went to Dicks and purchased a CO2 BB pistol and we would setup cans to shoot at targets. That was a lot of fun and was always good for an afternoon of fun.
From time to time I allowed their friends to come along which helped with their boredom.
I did my best to keep the cell phones silent. When they chat with their friends they think they’re missing something.
Before leaving go to redbox and let them pick out some movies for night.
It’s not easy and yours are at that age where they have there own social lives. Good luck
Rickho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Tell them you really hate RVing and that it drives you nuts having to go camping...they will all of a sudden love the idea of camping!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #7

We found when taking the grandkids, they enjoyed places with big pools that had slides, game rooms and near an attraction they would enjoy. By all means, make them part of the decision planning. Remember, sometimes you may have to compromise.
Bill 3rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #8

I have been camping since the early 70's with my children and then my grandchildren. But when they turn 13/14, they all stop camping with us. We stop camping all together during my children teenage years. Why? High school sports and summer baseball for both boys and girls. My children and grandchildren were/are very active in sports with the summer months being prime time for sports programs such as football camps, wrestling camps, basketball camps, cheerleading camps and summer baseball leagues. Unfortunately, this leaves very little time for teenagers to camp with you.

Sorry, but this is my experience with teenagers and camping.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #9

Just tell them they're not allowed to go as it's adult fun......!
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Tell them you really hate RVing and that it drives you nuts having to go camping...they will all of a sudden love the idea of camping!
That would throw them off their game for sure!!
Old 12-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The best bet is to go where they will have "fun." We went to Panama Beach almost yearly when our kids were teenagers. They loved it. Fort Wilderness at Disney World is always a winner. We also let them take a friend along on some trips. Try not to drive for extra long distances at first. Remember the old question "Are we there yet?"
Great suggestions - we have considered the drive time thing, and talked it over with them. They agree - shorter drives are better. Unfortunately on the first trip we're driving to the east coast to pick up the RV and then camping our way home. Long long trip, limited days, so we're doing the heavy days on the way out and then will slow our pace a little on the way home. Taking friends will happen, but with the 5er and a pickup we're limited to one of them bringing a friend and the other flying solo. Plan to manage that by staying closer and taking two cars, or traveling with friends of one or the other...
Old 12-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickho View Post
Make it fun for the kids. That means including them in some of the decisions and to some degree responsibilities.
I put my teens In Charge of the nightly campfire. Allowed them to gather or purchase the wood, set it up, light it and control it. When my boys were older I had them hook up and pull the camper out of its space a few feet. “They did this well supervised of course” They seemed genuinely excited about hooking it up and pulling it forward a couple feet.
Camping for me was family time so I focused on doing things such as fishing with the boys. My girls got into it more than the boys I think.
We played Cornhole and lawn darts.
Took their bikes with us and gave them some general guidelines but pretty much let them govern themselves within the bounds of the campground.”within reason”
Yes, I took the gaming station along and hooked it up for early morning and after dark amusement. Catch was that we played 2 player games so that I could get involved.
I went to Dicks and purchased a CO2 BB pistol and we would setup cans to shoot at targets. That was a lot of fun and was always good for an afternoon of fun.
From time to time I allowed their friends to come along which helped with their boredom.
I did my best to keep the cell phones silent. When they chat with their friends they think they’re missing something.
Before leaving go to redbox and let them pick out some movies for night.
It’s not easy and yours are at that age where they have there own social lives. Good luck
Thanks... we do plan to give them responsibilities on arrival and departure days, will be bringing the XBox, and plan to set some boundaries that are reasonable. Will definitely be looking for activities to do at the campgrounds, and trying to stay in parks etc. that have something unique to offer that we don't experience every day.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I have been camping since the early 70's with my children and then my grandchildren. But when they turn 13/14, they all stop camping with us. We stop camping all together during my children teenage years. Why? High school sports and summer baseball for both boys and girls. My children and grandchildren were/are very active in sports with the summer months being prime time for sports programs such as football camps, wrestling camps, basketball camps, cheerleading camps and summer baseball leagues. Unfortunately, this leaves very little time for teenagers to camp with you.

Sorry, but this is my experience with teenagers and camping.
This was actually a big conversation between DW and I before we decided to buy one. "When will we actually use the darn thing?" between soccer, school plays, etc. I think we decided there is enough opportunity here in N. Texas to take long weekends, a week at Thanksgiving, a week or two in the summer (hopefully a 2 week trip that will allow us to go north away from the heat...) And we plan some local weekends that will allow us to camp and still make it to soccer games or whatever is going on - just for a change of pace. We'll see how all that works out, but we intend to equip the 5er as completely as possible so we can grab clothes and food and roll out the driveway. Again, we'll see...
Old 12-12-2018, 04:44 AM   #14

When the kids were little, we purchased a tent trailer, and drug that thing all over the place. Then the kids got involved in other stuff and weekends were busy, so we sold the tent trailer and were RV less for a number of years. However, our kids, now parents themselves, often bring up those camping trips in our conversations. You never know what motivates teenagers. Another friend with teenagers took a 2 week trip every summer, and the teenagers were expected to clear their schedule and go as a family. That worked well for them.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote