Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
Newbi2 finally on the road

Hi all, hope I'm posting this in the right place. I joined and posted before in the newcomers' section, but haven't posted since 9//15. Just saw that there is a disabled RV'ers forum, so that's where I'm hoping I'm posting. My disability is cognitive, not physical though I do deal with spinal stenosis. The reason I haven't posted in so long is because getting road-ready has been so intensely difficult to organize. I was in a car accident years ago (hit from behind) that left me with a head injury, hence the disability-memory, organization, forethought, etc. skills are impaired. Sooo, here I am, trying to do the RV living thing, haha! Well, a big part of this was to get to warmer weather. My health can't handle the Pennsylvania winters any more. At 58, semi-retired (I do work as I find it as an aromatherapist), I got myself trained in something else because I couldn't continue as a social worker with the head injury. I love what I do and have brought my equipment along in case I find opportunity to work.
Getting ready for the trip was almost impossible. I couldn't for the life of me get organized! I'm intelligent, did tons of research and got equipped to the teeth, but to put it all together in a van...well, I will only tell you all that I broke down and hired a professional organizer to get me just started. Can't tell my friends and family because they already think I'm a little koo-koo for trying this. But, about three months after I had hoped to leave, I'm finally on the road! I've already re-and re-organized the van again-just to improve on what the professional started for me. I'll be doing that for months to come, I think. It is all very hard, but I'm so GLAD I'm doing it! I like the challenge (yeah, I get mad sometimes), I like being "put to the test" so to speak. I don't have anything fancy-just a conversion van, 1997. I didn't want ( and couldn't have afforded anyway) something with all the bell's and whistles because I knew I couldn't do the maintenance and repairs. Just wanted to keep it simple. So I headed to Florida in an overloaded van (think Beverly Hillbillies on their truck to California) and I'm in a Florida library now doing this post. Its chillier here where I'm at and I have to keep moving south, but as of this writing it is 10 degrees in PA, so I'm happy. Well, that's it for now. If any of you have ideas on where to park and sleep at night I'd appreciate it. So far I tried the Water Management Department campgrounds-they're great but it's cold at night and its hard to get a reservation. I've slept at rest stops-pretty nice. And one night I stayed in a Walmart parking lot (I asked management and they said no. I asked their security person who drives around in the little truck with the yellow light blinking and he said yes, so I stayed! And in sheer exhaustion one night I just stayed in a Waffle House parking lot. No one bothered me in either place. So I'm poking around, gradually making my way further south and the challenge is always where to sleep. But I like this...I'm learning a lot about travel and about myself. Peace!

Newbi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Glad to hear that you're on the road! I don't know about a "disabled" forum on here, you're posting in the "Just Conversation", which is fine.

Hope everything works out good for you!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:42 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Newbi2, Hope your having fun doing what lot of people with Big RV only dream to do. Your living the Dream, Good for you and many happy trail.
JoeMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by JoeMoe View Post
Hi Newbi2, Hope your having fun doing what lot of people with Big RV only dream to do. Your living the Dream, Good for you and many happy trail.
Enjoy your trip and have safe travels.
Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
Yeah, I got a notice that they moved my post to this thread! Thanks so much for the support!
Old 01-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
I'm loving this, warts and all! With my cognitive issues things take a lot longer to do or figure out, but I'm not on anyone's time table any more, so that's working for me. : )

ada, chair lift, disability, disabled, handicap, handicapped, mobility, scooter, special needs, wheelchair