Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2016, 05:07 PM   #1

Newbie needs help

I apologize to start with these questions as I know they are basic for most of you but I'm brand new and trying not to make mistakes,,,,,,just purchased a Four Winds class c and love it , however I'm just not sure on a couple of things that I guessed I missed on the walk through,,,

if I hook up to city water at campground does that override my use of the fresh water tank ? Anything different I need to do ?

Does that city water now do the toilet filling /shower ? Do I keep my grey water valve open and let it drain threw the whole time to dump station while using shower or sink ?

I don't have a black tank flush so do I fill up tank by letting toilet water run to get that tank mostly filled before dumping ?

Lastly he 110v switch for heating water, do I turn that on and leave on when connected to power to get hot water ??

I'm sorry for the elementary questions just trying to do it right,,,thanks !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I can help with a couple questions. When your hooked up to city water it does fill the toilet when you flush and provides shower water. I generally leave my gray valve closed for 2 day outings. You use the gray tank water to rinse your sewer hose after dumping your black tank first. Only have one valve open at a time. It is best to have your black tank full when dumping. I would leave the hot water on since it is electric and already paid for with your camping fee. There is usually a valve or handle to switch between a water hook up and using your water tank. Good luck and enjoy!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

My answers are in blue......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichaw View Post
if I hook up to city water at campground does that override my use of the fresh water tank ? Anything different I need to do ?
You don't need to turn on your water pump and yes, all your water will be supplied by city water.
Does that city water now do the toilet filling /shower ? Do I keep my grey water valve open and let it drain threw the whole time to dump station while using shower or sink ?
As I said above, the city water will supply everything you have that uses water.

I don't have a black tank flush so do I fill up tank by letting toilet water run to get that tank mostly filled before dumping ?
The more water in your tank for dumping the better.

Lastly he 110v switch for heating water, do I turn that on and leave on when connected to power to get hot water ??
Once you get set up and hooked to the power pedestal then turn the water heater on. It is your choice if you leave in on all the time or turn it off. Personally I turn it on and leave it on.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #4

Thanks so much for the help, I feel better now as to what to do !!
Old 04-24-2016, 09:00 PM   #5

MnTom said it right... I might add, (since we now have a new rv compared to our 95), if you want more hot water you can turn on both electric and gas for your water heater.. In most cases .... We are still learning all this new fancy stuff..,....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mn Tom is right on and all I can add is when dumping dump the grey water last, it will help clean your hose somewhat, then rinse with water.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
I can help with a couple questions. When your hooked up to city water it does fill the toilet when you flush and provides shower water. I generally leave my gray valve closed for 2 day outings. You use the gray tank water to rinse your sewer hose after dumping your black tank first. Only have one valve open at a time. It is best to have your black tank full when dumping. I would leave the hot water on since it is electric and already paid for with your camping fee. There is usually a valve or handle to switch between a water hook up and using your water tank. Good luck and enjoy!
There IS NOT a valve or handle to switch between city water and your on-board water. When you hook up to city water, there is a check valve in the on-board side that keeps your pump turned off. You don't have to turn anything on or off. When your city water is disconnected, your pump will automatically come on when you turn on the water. It helps, of course, if you have water in your tank. I believe some older units do have a switch to turn on the pump.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I apologize to start with these questions as I know they are basic for most of you but I'm brand new and trying not to make mistakes,,,,,,just purchased a Four Winds class c and love it , however I'm just not sure on a couple of things that I guessed I missed on the walk through,,,
I've never had a Class C, but I assume these functions would be the same.

There should be a diverter valve where you connect the CG water supply, allowing you to select "Normal" or "Tank fill" (or something similar to that). Be sure this valve is set to "Normal" to use the CG water for the MH, and change it to "Tank Fill" just to fill your freshwater tank. If you're not connected to CG water and want to use your freshwater tank as a source, there should be a switch inside that turns on the pump. With this switch on, the pump should only come on when you open a faucet.

We keep our grey tank dump valve open and the black tank valve closed until the black tank is about 3/4 full. We then close the grey valve until we take a couple of showers to accumulate a lot of water (we take long showers). At that time we dump the black tank, cleaning it out good using the built-in black tank flusher. Since you don't have a flusher, close the valve and run water through the toilet until the water coming out is fairly clean. You should have a clear sewer adapter to be able to see what is coming out. After you finish the black tank, close the valve, put a couple of gallons of water back into the tank, and add chemical. Finally, dump the grey tank which washes out the hose. Close the grey tank valve and you're done!

It's good to have the black tank about 3/4 or more full before dumping, but I don't think I would bother to finish filling it if it's not that full. The repeated dumping described above should take care of it!

We leave the water heater AC switch on all the time when we're hooked to shore power. Just before we take showers we also turn on the LPG switch to have more hot water.

I'm sorry for the elementary questions just trying to do it right,,,thanks !

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #9

Might add you may need a water pressure regulator since some outside water sources could damage your internal plumbing due to too high pressure. Most fresh water tank pumps have a one way valve to prevent outside water from going into your tank and overfilling it. Also a water filter for outside water. There is no way to know how clean it is.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nichaw,

No need to apologize for being a newbie and not knowing. We were all there at one time. I have been at this just a year and I asked some of these questions because I didn't know. That is what this forum is here for, to help us newbies and to share information and knowledge.

That said, you got some good pointers. biker art makes two good points. Water pressure regulator and filter is important. We stopped at a CG that was old, got so much crud and rust into our system it took a lot of work to remove it and we have had a in-line filter since. We were at the last spot on the line. Got both at Walmart for about $25. Some CGs have high water pressure to get out to their farthest lines and it can blow your plumbing.

Next thing. With your RV, will you be driving enough distance that you want to use your toilet while traveling to your destination? If so, you will want to carry a certain amount of water is your storage tank because you will want to flush your toilet when you use it. Will need to have your batteries powered on and turn on the pump so it pumps the water to the toilet. The pump will only work when a faucet is turned on or the toilet is flushed. Otherwise, you can keep a bucket of water in the shower for flushing the toilet, whichever works for you.

Just another point in case this has missed your radar. When you put jacks down, always keep the rear tires just touching. You can raise the front on wood if you need to level it, but the rear tires are your brake tires and should never be raised on wood. It makes your RV unstable and unsafe.

YouTube has a lot of videos on anything RV. Enter a subject and watch. You will get this and in a year when a newbie asks about something you can come on here and help ease their worries and help them enjoy this fabulous way of life. We too love our MH and camping. It has been an interesting and fun year. I took a cold shower the first time because I didn't know to turn on the water heater. We turn ours off when not using by the way. Just our preference.

Mostly, have fun. Laugh at yourself when you do something foolish because you will. Don't hesitate to ask someone at a CG about their rig, then slip in a question like "Do you leave your water heater on or off?" and see what they say. Most people love talking about their rigs and you will too.

Have a great summer! Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #11

Thanks

Everyone has been great with their reply to me and everyone of them has helped and after 2 trips I'm starting to get the hang of things..... Had a problem dumping my black tank ( Thor Four Winds model 29 g) when I pulled the handle to dump nothing happened ? So after looking I found another dump handle underneath on other side of coach, , guess it's a two stage thing, you would think on the walk through they would have mentioned that,,,
Old 05-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Everyone has been great with their reply to me and everyone of them has helped and after 2 trips I'm starting to get the hang of things..... Had a problem dumping my black tank ( Thor Four Winds model 29 g) when I pulled the handle to dump nothing happened ? So after looking I found another dump handle underneath on other side of coach, , guess it's a two stage thing, you would think on the walk through they would have mentioned that,,,

WOW, that's strange! Never heard of that!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
hey one more thing, if you're connected to city water, and you leave for the day.... it's wise to turn the city off.

It's not uncommon for a fitting inside the rv to pop off, break, burst, crack, leak while under pressure.

I have seen more than one rv jetting a river of water out from under the door while the owners are away.

And I have had a water heater hose break at the fitting while I was in the unit (in my old rv) while connected to city water. Thank goodness I was in there!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
oh and as far as filling your black tank, yes you can hold the toilet open.... but it takes forever and your nose is right over...... it can get brutal. IF I use the toilet method, I only hold the toilet foot pedal to FILL and when the toilet is almost full I open it a little more so water starts to drain, and when it's almost empty I let up on my foot to close the valve. The water in the bowl keeps the smell IN.

It's totally ok to run a water hose in through a window ( preferably one with a cut off valve on YOUR end of it) open the toilet and turn on the hose. It will go much faster.

We've also used buckets filled at the kitchen sink and passed back and forth to make it go quicker.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags