Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #141

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before this turns into a we/them/us showdown, many years ago all of us (when young) decided to become a ------ or had a chance to be accepted to--------- or started working as a ------ (fill in the blanks) Maybe we stayed with it and maybe we changed positions or outlooks. But we all thought we were doing the best for us at the time.

Now many years later, some are saying I should've, some are possible jealous of what may be perceived as missed out on ( in their minds) but I believe all fought for the right to get where they are and in the way they thought was best for them. Where we are now is our responsibility and the way we got there was our choice.

I do not see where Indiana Journey or ktp_guy are asking anyone to jump in and pay their salary as has been referenced. Nor do I see them asking where they spent their money wrongly or failed to provide for their families.

The blog is on the big 3 (or automotive business) not individuals. I think everyone has been quite forthcoming in their presentations on both sides. But no one individual here on this site is personally responsible for the contracts in question, manpower, salaries, etc. And the workers did not get anything, that the corporations didn't agree to. Both sides sitting together at the table.

Remember, we're all RV'ers and will be breaking bread together somewhere, someday.

Best,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:05 AM   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well put Bob, but as for breaking bread together, I think I'll have to go with a cracker; that will be all my 0.00401K plan will allow.

Ken

Old 12-02-2008, 04:14 AM   #143

Sorry, I never meant to impinge any person here on the forum. I was speaking of “you” in the plural sense. The top exercises of the auto companies have in fact gone to congress and asked for an initial 25 billion dollars to help them pay their upcoming (within 6 months) obligations as they are quickly running out of money. A goodly portion of those obligations are the crushing monies would be going to the retirements and medical payments of the 470,000 early retired workers as well as the 235,000 current workers. I can see no way out of saying that this isn’t taxpayers footing these bills. I do recognize that both management and union are responsible and both have run sadly this once great example of American manufacturing straight into the ground. We have to look the situation as they are now, not as to what caused them to be this way 50 years ago and realize that if we are to save this former great American icon, big changes will have to be made and made right now. Both sides seem intent on just pushing back the inevitable and I see most taxpayers sick to death of all bailouts and especially this one.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:54 AM   #144

Please read the 2007 UAW contract @UAW.org, it tells the basic plan from the union side. Cuts in pay, co-pays on insurance, higher deductables on insurance, different retirement funding, etc. The transplant auto companies are still making a profit but it is comming from their factories in their own countries. In Japan the government pays the retirement and the health care. It's hard to compete against that in any industry,but the american car builders are trying. The management @ GM has taken away the health insurance for salaried workers and taken several other things from them to help the company financially. Many things are being done to help the company long term. The biggest problem that is now faced is this recession that has been going on for at least a year, it has/is affecting all of us. Hopefully, we will pull out of it stronger and wiser. Indiana Journet
Old 12-02-2008, 06:35 AM   #145

Winnebago Owners Club
Let's see . . . who should we trust on this issue:

Media?

CEO's?

Congress?

UAW?

Gut?
Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know I will not be helping out the Big 3 or the foreign auto makers. I am not planning on buy a new or used truck or trailer in the foreseeable future.

Ken
Old 12-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #147

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TRUST me Ken, I KNOW that feeling!!! Being retired is not pleasant right now with the .000401K.

But just for the record, here is the latest on all as of today:

NEW YORK (AP) -- November U.S. vehicle sales at General Motors and Chrysler plunged more than 40 percent, while Ford's sales dropped 31 percent, crushing hopes that the industrywide drop in vehicle demand might be easing as the U.S. automakers prepare to state their second case for a federal bailout.

GM's sales fell 41 percent, while Chrysler's dropped 47 percent. Their overseas rivals posted abysmal results Tuesday as well. Toyota's November U.S. sales tumbled 34 percent, and Honda's fell 32 percent.

Looks to me like it's a race by everyone----

Best,
Old 12-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #148

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I know I will not be helping out the Big 3 or the foreign auto makers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You forgot you big contribution to them on April 15th if the auto bailout goes through.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #149
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh, the April 15th contribution is not forgotten...it is a given.

Ken
Old 12-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Oh for heavens sake, you all have already paid for this over the year with your withholding every paycheck, April 15 is not a magic number, only the date for your tax return. Besides, the economy is the main problem, yes, the CEO's, company's, and greed, (ie..stockholders) are all to blame. Everybody that owns stock wants a major return on their stock, so where does that take you??? The bottom line is when you want 25% return on investment year after year, like a pyramid scheme, when the whole thing goes down, then there you are.

That's where we are now!! Welcome home.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:35 AM   #151

I was told, by a friend that plays the stock market, that playing the stock market is legalized gambling, sometimes you loose. Indiana Journey
Old 12-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #152
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Contributors to this thread. We are seeing false information concerning a major automotive manufacturer, Honda, who would like the opportunity to set the record straight. In our judicial system a party is innocent until proven guilty. On our board when someone posts something that isn't accurate it has a tendency to snowball into something which it isn't. Therefore on behalf of Honda Motors here is their reply.

We've recently come across comments on your board regarding Honda's
lack of contributions after 9/11 and wanted to make sure you know
that this story is a hoax. Attached below is a statement from Honda
and we would appreciate it if you would share this with your online
community. Thanks.

Statement by American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Re: Honda Contributions to 9-11 Recovery Efforts
December 2, 2008

Shortly after the devastating events of September 11, 2001, an internet
hoax was launched claiming that CNN had reported that many international
automakers, including Honda, had failed to contribute to the corporate
response to the 9-11 tragedy.

In fact, not only did Honda make a significant contribution to several 9-11
funds, but the reality is that no such CNN story was ever broadcast. This
false allegation was a complete hoax. Today, documentation of this hoax is
featured on snopes.com, urbanlegends.com and other myth busting
sites.

Now, seven years later, it is unfortunate that this same hoax has
reappeared on the internet. While we made our contributions in the same
humble and positive spirit as many other corporations, we now feel
compelled to re-state the record regarding Honda's significant response to
the tragic events of September 11, 2001.

For the record, the Honda family of companies and our associates
contributed in excess of $1.5 million in support assistance and products to
aid recovery efforts and to help victims of 9-11 cope with their
devastating losses. The bulk of these funds were contributed to the United
Way of New York "September 11 Fund," and to the American Red Cross.

Honda products contributed to the recovery efforts included donations of
all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and generators to help rescue and recovery
workers quickly navigate the difficult terrain around the World Trade
Center and commercial generators donated to the American Red Cross for use
in disaster-relief efforts, including at the World Trade Center site.

Honda is honored to have participated in these efforts.

Lauren Ebner
Corporate Affairs & Communications
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
1919 Torrance Blvd., M/S 100-3W-5D
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
Direct: (310) 781-4358
Cell: (424) 477-9226
Fax: (310) 787-4417
lauren_ebner@ahm.honda.com
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 12-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #153

I don’t know what the actual percentage is, but when you buy a foreign brand car made in the America by Americans, I have to believe that almost all of the money goes stays in America and only a small portions of it goes to Germany, Korea, or Japan. I think of these American made Honda’s and the others really as American cars. They now employee nearly 40% of the US auto workers and that percentage is increasing rapidly as the Big 3 continue to wither under crushing debt and much higher costs.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:30 PM   #154

Excel Owners Club
Did you ever think that if the big three fold who the next in line is to organize? What is hard at the negotiating table is the price of health care. The health care in this country charges three times what a bill is suppose to be, in order to pay for the two people who walk of the street and need medical care. This is not fair. It is causing my heath care provider to keep raising the premiums and the employers keep passing the high health cost down to the consumer . Something has to be done about these unrealistic health care prices! Now if the big three fall and the 7,000,000,000 folks that are predicted to lose their jobs all draw unemployment and what other Government Programs that they are eligible for, I know you’re taxes will be going up. Book2Roadtrash