Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #267

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Well I'm glad you and I have gotten over our impasse, I'm one of those folks who lets it all hang out when it comes to my passions. Sometime I do attach a personal aspect to it when it's truly
just a difference of outlook.
By the way I'm Philly born and bred I's a really nice city with friendly folks and plenty to see.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2008, 08:52 AM   #268

I have RV'ed in PA twice, but avoid the big cities like a plague. I did stay in Intecourse for 4 days.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:52 AM   #269

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">no one seems incensed enough to even mention the early retirement benefits garnered by the PEACETIME military retirees with their LIFETIME taxpayer paid health care </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You don't sign up for PEACEATIME military. You are subject to be put into harm's way at a moments notice. There is no comparison between a military career and a job as an auto worker.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:58 AM   #270
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">no one seems incensed enough to even mention the early retirement benefits garnered by the PEACETIME military retirees with their LIFETIME taxpayer paid health care </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm incensed that we don't pay them more or give them better benefits.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #271

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey! How come the anacronym "TARP" sounds more like a cover-up than a bailout? Just thought I'd ask.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #272

Fleetwood Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lindsay Richards:
I have RV'ed in PA twice, but avoid the big cities like a plague. I did stay in Intercourse for 4 days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I won't touch that with a 10' pole
Old 12-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #273

Fleetwood Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oldrtrcr:
Hey! How come the anacronym "TARP" sounds more like a cover-up than a bailout? Just thought I'd ask. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #274

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gmachine:
Can't address all incorrect statements so will settle for these.

"30 years and out" early retirement under UAW contracts with the former "Big Three" entitles the retiree to recieve the full early retirement payment only until said retiree becomes eligible for Social Security Retirement Benefits. AFTER THAT DATE THE COMPANY MONTHLY RETIREMENT PAYMENT IS REDUCED BY THE AMOUNT OF THE MONTHLY SS BENEFIT PAYMENT.

Payments for layoff are figured as follows: Base is: AFTER TAX WEEKLY 40 HR. PAY minus ALL TAXES ON REMAINDER = WEEKLY BENEFIT. Not quite what is published by the RASH WINDBAG types, eh?

Cordialy, Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim;

In essence you're saying, retire after 30 years and the UAW workers have negotiated with the Big 3 to pay you an additional amount equal to the SS you would receive when you reach full SS retirement age. When the retiree reaches full retirement age the stipend the BIG 3 provides drops and the same amount from SS kicks in. Wow, what a golden handshake for retiring at 50 years of age and 30 years service!

The United Steel Workers also bleed the companies to death and imported steel pour into the USA. Remember the 13 weeks vacation the USW negotiated back in the 70's? Try managing a company and making a quality product when workers receive 13 weeks vacation! We had steelworkers return from 13 weeks vacation and had to be re-trained!

-Tom

Old 12-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #275

Hey, Intercourse, PA is a wonderful RV'ing spot right in the middle of Amish country we love. We found out there is an Amish area in Florida that has some great Amish places to eat. Lots of the Amish vacation and winter in Florida. Come down in 15 passenger vans driven by the nonamish folks. After leaving Intercourse we went to Gettsburg, PA, but left as the had it all wrong. They even had the Yankee's winning that battle. No way was I going to hang around that place.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #276

After 28 pages of perhaps the most stimulating & most heated conversation (and staying within the TOS) on this site the thread seems to be winding down. Congrats to those who contributed with their polite, if conflicting points of view. It has made for an interesting read.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #277

Fleetwood Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lindsay Richards:
Hey, Intercourse, PA is a wonderful RV'ing spot right in the middle of Amish country we love. We found out there is an Amish area in Florida that has some great Amish places to eat. Lots of the Amish vacation and winter in Florida. Come down in 15 passenger vans driven by the nonamish folks. After leaving Intercourse we went to Gettsburg, PA, but left as the had it all wrong. They even had the Yankee's winning that battle. No way was I going to hang around that place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't resist, I haven't been in Intercourse for four days since my honeymoon.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #278

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote: "In closing I would like to inquire why no one seems incensed enough to even mention the early retirement benefits garnered by the PEACETIME military retirees with their LIFETIME taxpayer paid health care; not to mention the double & triple dippers?"

I’ve been watching all the postings on this subject with much interest more for the opportunity to hear two sides of the question even though I am a (present day) anti-Union person. However, in my reading, I wondered how long it would be before someone decided to bring up the Military Retirees retirement and medical benefits such as they are. Invariably, it’s generally someone who has either not done any military time or very little time at all or as one might say, they’re doing the talk with out doing the walk. I’ve never met a Military Retiree, especially an enlisted member, that did a 20 to 30 year walk for the retirement pay or medical benefits. WE did it because we enjoyed what we were doing and had a devout love for our country and was willing to put up with the “be on call 24/7, 365 days a year” life style believing that what little we might be doing was contributing to the freedom that every US citizen could enjoy

By the way, I’m a 24 ½ year Air Force retiree, Nov 1950 to Sept 1975 and I don’t regret one day of it. Even on mil-retirement, I still had to get a job as did my wife so we could have something more then beans and wieners on the table.

I would hope that anyone that dive’s on to this subject of Military Retirement, has “walked the walk” and can furnish some factual reasoning on why it and the so called medical benefits is so great.

Marty
Old 12-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #279

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can't resist, I haven't been in Intercourse for four days since my honeymoon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I must admit that my previous record was about 15 minutes. Intercourse, PA was one of the prettest stops on our eastern seaboard trip. We stayed right next to an Amish farm. In the spring and summer, we plan to do the great Mississippi road and detour over to the Ohio and IN Amish. SOmetimes I think they have the right idea. The have about an 80% retention rate of their children staying in the Amish lifestyle.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #280

Marty too,

First of all, I want to thank you for your service. You certainly have me beat, as I only contributed 4 years of service in the USAF,
('60-'64) & as time passes I am increasingly proud of the time I served. I'm also thankful that I was spared the horrors of the Vietnam war as Uncle Sam saw fit to station me in Bedford, Ma.

Many of my friends have their names inscribed on the wall of 52K + in Washington,DC. If you've not been there, you owe it to yourself.
It is most moving & heart rendering.

After my service in the USAF I joined the FDNY where I spent 28 years in the most rewarding job I could ever imagine. I served proudly from '68 - '96 & despite the fact that I now display a handicapped placard on my windshield courtesy of my injuries (no, FDNY did not recognize as job related) I am MOST THANKFUL that, in addition to my pension I enjoy S.S. Disability.

Most of my friends & relatives,those who have worked in county jobs, those who have worked as union bricklayers & carpenters, when we compare our pension benefits are shocked at how meager my (you're a retired NYC firefighter, you've got the best!!) benefits are. I am most willing to compare my pension with those of the UAW. I guarantee I'll be on the short end of the stick.