Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Lake Placid/Whiteface Mtn. KOA Wilmington, New York
Send a message via AIM to grundon7 Send a message via Skype™ to grundon7
No Leaks

WOW over 4 inches of rain overnight! Wind blown rain good test for leaks? None found, GREAT JOB to the LazyDays tech that resealed our roof last fall!! Dry winter down here in pine belt of Mississippi now mother nature is making up for lack of rain in one night? Gonna need scuba gear to feed cows? Still lovin fulltimin,work campin!!

grundon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2011, 05:51 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I did mine myself. I ordered the ''liquid rubber'' roof, read the instructions and saved myself a couple thousand dollars by doing the application myself. It was kinda of a ''job'' and I never dreamed that a 33 foot coach was that ''loooooooooong''. I did mine before we came to Florida. It has two coats on it now and I have enough product for another complete coat when I get home. One more beauty is that this stuff DOES NOT CHALK like the old rubber roof did. It is pure white and it sealed everything. I didnt have to redo the seams. I just ''taped and sealed'' the seams and everything is fine. The roof is a bit expensive but well worth the money. My old roof was almost eleven years old and had a couple of spots that leaked that I could not find.

Lets all thank a vet for our freedoms they gave us....

Old 03-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chip, what was wrong with yours and what did they do.

Looking at mine, I'm unsure it I need to reseal the edges or not. This is what they look like, but I've not seen any leaks yet.

Name:   2-23-11-m001 [320x200].jpg
Views: 246
Size:  15.5 KB
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
I did mine myself. I ordered the ''liquid rubber'' roof, read the instructions and saved myself a couple thousand dollars by doing the application myself. It was kinda of a ''job'' and I never dreamed that a 33 foot coach was that ''loooooooooong''. I did mine before we came to Florida. It has two coats on it now and I have enough product for another complete coat when I get home. One more beauty is that this stuff DOES NOT CHALK like the old rubber roof did. It is pure white and it sealed everything. I didnt have to redo the seams. I just ''taped and sealed'' the seams and everything is fine. The roof is a bit expensive but well worth the money. My old roof was almost eleven years old and had a couple of spots that leaked that I could not find.

Lets all thank a vet for our freedoms they gave us....
Seajay,
what 'brand' of liquid rubber did you buy?
thanks
Helen

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Lake Placid/Whiteface Mtn. KOA Wilmington, New York
Send a message via AIM to grundon7 Send a message via Skype™ to grundon7
The seal had started to seperate from the roof seam had water come in to cabinet over door. When I started to re-seal saw it was more than just that area! Had bought MH at LazyDays and they were great about fixing! One call to our salesman Ralph Simon and he had it scheduled! We stayed right in MH during repairs!!
grundon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #6

Lazy days is a great place to get service done.Took our rig all the way to Florida for an oil change 1350 miles to Lazy days. While we were there, we decided to make a vacation out of it As far as leaks go, we have had a few on two coaches ( slides) and as a result I cannot sleep when its raining hard overnight. Always thinking about where all that water might be going, hopefully not inside coach. Am I the only one who cant sleep because of leak concerns?
Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I really hate to sound stupid but I cant remember the name of the stuff I used. I found it in the ''adverts'' in the back of FMCA magazine. It is the one with the ten year guarantee if they install it. When I get home I will find the info and post it here. (if i can find my way back home from where ever i am now, gettin old sux) (goin home the last of March.)

Thank a vet for your freedom
Old 03-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Seajay, I can relate to the getting old.. my mind still works but my body just doesn't want to cooperate. Just can't do the things I used to do...
No rush on finding out, just curious..
Be safe in your travels.
Helen & Floyd

Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Note to Slowpoke and Me

the name of the company that I bought my ''roof paint'' from is...
Minnesota RV Roofing at 877 387 6511
the complete d.i.y. ''kit'' is five hundred dollars plus shipping.
You will need a long ''screw in'' handle for the scrub brush, and your paint roller, some knee pads would help, a small paint brush for putting on the tape and a small roller and a one gallon bucket. The people up there are very nice and very helpful. So far as I know the product works excellent. Time will tell as to the ''life'' of the product but you get enough paint to do a 33 foot coach with three coats and stilll have a little left and I am talking about ''gloping it on''. It has the considtency of Elmers Glue. Wear old clothes and sox but no shoes unless you want to throw the shoes away when the job is over.
Their web sight is Minnesota RV Roofing. If you have questions contact me and I will be glad to help.
ps. this information will cost you ten cents and you can pay me the next time you see me cause good information aint cheap......cj....

Lets all thank a vet for our freedoms. Some died for them....
Nuff Said..
Old 03-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
CJ , since this works at $500 + - versus a new roof as one person quoted I needed and he would do it for $3600, and after I checked with reputable RV organizations and found that it actually would cost more for a good guaranteed job... your 10 cent charge is a bargain.. I may even give you a 'tip'

I took it to a local RV shop and he said all I needed was a new coating.. and some sealing around the vents etc, so we will go that route for a few years at least..
Stay well, happy, and rich !!!!!!!
Helen

Old 03-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Note to Helen. This is a fairly big job. It is not a one day job and the key to success is getting the existing roof ''C L E A N'' and I mean clean enough to eat off of it. All this is covered in the instructions. I did mine all by myself and a good helper would be worth ''gold'' on this. The next hardest thing is ''tapeing off all the joints''. Slow work and its under your feet. Knee pads would be a God send. Do this right because it is very important. Choose pretty weather, not to hot and definitely no rain in sight when you start. Painting on the roof is the easy part. Watch for ''dribbles'' over the side and on the walls of the coach.
Take your time, do it right.... GOOD LUCK..... (if the Marine helps you, give him the simple stuff to do and talk slowly, wave your hands a lot, use small words and repeat instructions as necessary till he stops drooling...lol...) .... ping...

God bless our troops of every stripe and color and keep them safe.....
Old 04-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
CJ,
As to the cleaning part, I think I could get Floyd to do that part, after all don't Marine's learn to clean real good when they first get into the military He does a pretty good job cleaning around here and I have to give him credit as he will help around here when he gets in off the road. Something different than just driving down the highway.
We cleaned it last summer with mixture of bleach and water, and it brightened up a lot, looked almost like a new one. Still could use a paint job but in time. Someone said to clean the roof with Spic and Span... prior to coating it.
I make a pretty good supervisor per the 'marine' but will probably do some of the work also.
thanks a bunch
Helen

Old 04-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #13

Seajay I need my roof coated, could I get you to help? I will do the cleaning and you do the paintin. I know you have lots of experence what with paintin all those big ships and those long chains and such.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
NOTE TO HELEN. the kit comes with a ''cleaner'' that will leave no residue on your roof. Just be sure to have someone on the ground to ''wash off'' the residue that will run over the sides. If you wash it off while it is still wet it will come right off without a problem. You will need a good ladder to work off of when you put the ''tape'' around the ''edge seam'' on your roof. Be prepared to say ''SHUX'' a lot. Be sure to get some of them disposable rubber gloves for your hands and use old clothing and DONT PAINT YOURSELF INTO A CORNER AWAY FROM YOUR LADDER.. (there is a story here but I will refrain from telling it right now).......lol....... Dont forget your ''roller extension handle'' and knee pads''

NOTE TO HAULINHAZMAT Painting it is the easy part my brother. If you were a little closer I would be glad to help out but Texas from NC is kinda a long haul.
Be safe my friend and thank a vet for your freedom.........

God bless our troops....