Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
Well Seajay my DW being your number one fan indicated to me if Ms. Willa had put you out there only in your birthday suit there would have been a overload of 911 calls and emergency help would have been immediate. I indicated that would have eliminated you having to defend yourself calling 911. She indicated that you were very capable of defending your other short comings from reading all your hilarious threads. She's beginning to worry me a little, I'm going to start monitoring her computer time.

[COLOR=#9c00ff! important] That's great! I need to remember to do that in case I have an emergency and no cell phone service.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#9c00ff! important][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#9c00ff! important]Sammie[/COLOR]
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #16

Last season (which we started with our new rig in early August) we had 19 days in various Washington and Oregon campgrounds. We didn't have cell-phone service in a single one.

Our provider is Virgin Mobile, which uses Sprint's transmission system. It's a really cheap service. $15 a quarter, with all of the fee going into mminutes. The minutes are expensive, but the carry over indefinitely. We use the cell so little that we have close to $200 in unused minutes - mainly becasue the coverage is so crappy, we can't call out or receive.

At the start of next season, we'll be dropping Virgin and switching, probably to Verizon. We'll have to kiss off that $200, but it's virtually useless anyway.

Living only about 50 crow-fly miles from the Canadian border, having reliable coverage in the Canadian border area, both sides, is important. AT&T doesn't seem to offer that while Verizon does. Don't know the cost implications yet.

I don't need anything more than a phone - no camera, no internet, no Twitter, no Facebook, no "apps". It's a bloody telephone!!! I'd like the thing to ring like a phone, too. Chances are slim to none!

We might be.trying to crack a nut by using nuclear weapons, as I'm sure none of the cell-phone guys have "phones", but our present service just doesn't hack it, so we're probably stuck with all these features we'll never use.

What ever happened to single-purpose devices?
Old 01-15-2011, 04:34 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Frankdamp:
"What ever happened to single-purpose devices?"
Who's the most device users? Teens -they "gotta have" & the carriers provide the "haves". The BEST I ever used was a Nokia that did just what you needed. Ring-answer-talk-hang up. They make it anymore-all new apps for the kids.I'm looking at Straighttalk now. It can be used on Verizon systems.just a thought for you.
Travel safe & warm
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:59 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
IMHO Altell/Verison seems to give the best overall coverage for the money. We have been with them since Kit Carson was a scout and there were three and a half million buffalo in Montana. We seem to get more coverage in more places with their service. Another service says they cover 95 percent of the ''people'' in the USA which is probably true if you happen to be in one of their ''ZONES'' when you call but I find that most of the time.... I AINT IN ONE OF THE ZONES WHERE ALL THESE PEOPLE ARE AT.... To each his own...

Lets all thank a Veteran for our freedoms. Some of them got shot at defending our Freedoms,,,,,,,,,, Sadly, some of them died defending our freedoms. GOD BLESS OUR VETERANS.... think about it....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #19

Cool

Seajay...

Be safe in your travels! maybe we will run into each other one day. Oh, I won't ask for any money but I may ask for a copy of some of your stories. When are you going to get them published ???

Ditto on that!! I love your stories! Wish they were in a book form!!!!

RABBITFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #20

Look for "old phones"

If one wants the less complicated devices look for used handsets, but beware of compatibility.

The old handsets often have a better transceiver due to the design for a less dense infrastructure, they needed to work better with less cell sites.

Newer units are designed more for the apps and less for the performance due to having much higher cell site density.

BUT some networks are upgrading making some older equipment no longer compatable, so good advise is to find a local (mom and pop) vendor who provides service and repair of handsets, they are a good source of used product and of information regarding the good, bad and ugly regarding the second hand units.

The other advantage, no contract extensions...
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote