Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2009, 06:59 PM   #1

Northern CA Fire

EngineerMike,

Is the fire up in your area? If so I hope it has not affected you.

No fires in our area of SoCal, at least not yet. But it is a good thing that our Yucaipa rally was last year and not this year, with the Oak Glen fire.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:57 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I was wondering the same thing. Nasty things these Calif. wild fires.

toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:32 PM   #3

Missed me by that much. Coupla miles north of my office, about 7-8 north of the house. Don't know who lost homes yet.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Missed me by that much. Coupla miles north of my office, about 7-8 north of the house. Don't know who lost homes yet.
Sacs & I are glad to know you are Okay, E-Mike...we talked about it last night and thought we remembered where you said you lived was not in that area...(we did not know about the office though!!)
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:13 AM   #5

The Auburn Harley dealer on Hwy 49 managed to get every bike out before the fire overtook the building per scuttlebutt today. I know that brings a big sigh of relief to many.

We didn't have any smoke at the house; wind was the other way, so the fire was going pretty well before I even knew it was happening. Course its that way w/most things for me.
There is a fairly woodsy RV park at the southerly end of the fire area; haven't heard if that was involved.

BUT Hurricane Jimena (pronounced Hee-may-nah) is heading for a pretty good punch to Mulege in southern Baja. Had 4.5 feet of water running thru the house there last year from (former) hurricane Julio and one soldier died there in the flash flooding. Jimena might be a bigger hit. These things depend greatly, but I may have to make a quick cleanup run for the border. You'd think an engineer would be smart enough not to own property in a flood plain, right? Seems Biblical, fire on one front & flood on the other; am I doing something I shouldn't? Lemme know if there are volunteers for shoveling mud.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:51 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Mike... I caught Emmy (Harley Dealer) on the news last night and I was quite relieved to know they got stuff out. Sacs help build her parent's old home ions ago - so we have known them for some time...
Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
The Auburn Harley dealer on Hwy 49 managed to get every bike out before the fire overtook the building per scuttlebutt today. I know that brings a big sigh of relief to many.

We didn't have any smoke at the house; wind was the other way, so the fire was going pretty well before I even knew it was happening. Course its that way w/most things for me.
There is a fairly woodsy RV park at the southerly end of the fire area; haven't heard if that was involved.

BUT Hurricane Jimena (pronounced Hee-may-nah) is heading for a pretty good punch to Mulege in southern Baja. Had 4.5 feet of water running thru the house there last year from (former) hurricane Julio and one soldier died there in the flash flooding. Jimena might be a bigger hit. These things depend greatly, but I may have to make a quick cleanup run for the border. You'd think an engineer would be smart enough not to own property in a flood plain, right? Seems Biblical, fire on one front & flood on the other; am I doing something I shouldn't? Lemme know if there are volunteers for shoveling mud.
Mike- I don't think I'd get too concerned until you see a bunch of locusts or frogs!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Locust.........ick!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #9

I think I hear the frogs in the back yard starting a protest march
Old 09-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
E-Mike,

I'm glad to hear you faired okay on the fire front, and I really hope you do as well on the flood front. We've been watching Heemaynah on the news, but had forgotten about your property down there.

gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #11

First news out of Mulege, Baja California Sur- worst disaster in the history of Mulege. Water two feet over the bridge in the middle of town, which makes the flood about 32 feet or so deep at that point. Substantial destruction by wind before the rain. Storm seems to have chosen the area to linger before scooting across the Sea of Cortez to the mainland. One death reported so far, not official but it sounds like my best friend's father.

Based on prior experience, that flood level will mean 10-11' of fast flowing water thru our house (8' ceiling). Mountains of mud. Dead farm animals strewn around from the ranchos up in the valley above Mulege. Mexican population who barely had 2 sticks to rub together and a 20 year old mattress won't have any sticks & the mattress ruined by mud. Houses & contents ruined by mud. There will probably be minimal news coverage due to the remote location of Mulege.

Ann & I have been running the Mulege Student Scholarship Program founded in 1987 for about 6 years now. We currently have 58 students in middle school & high school, and 32 in college receiving assistance. This will have hammered most of those families to a pulp, destroyed the high school library, and will sour many gringos on maintaining their property there (i.e. further slam the economy which was on the skids to start with). We'll collect money for new library books at the high school and I'll probably have the truck loaded w/stuff of a general aid nature- non-perishable food, bandaids, peroxide, cleaners, mosquito repellent (they're gunna be deadly) etc.

The road (main Highway 1 thru Baja) will be out for several days, and electricity for at least a few but probably a week or 10 days (Loreto about 90 miles south of Mulege is projecting 6 days w/out power) due to the wind damage. Don't know when I'll be heading down just yet, but I'll be going at least as soon as the road is open. Right now I'm in shock.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
E-Mike...I am sorry to hear about the devastation to your region.

Where do you normally get the non-perishable supplies that you take down there?

My prayers are with you and your efforts...
Old 09-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Oh, Mike...I am so sorry! I add my prayers to those of MonacoMama. What can I/we do to help? Is there somewhere we can send things to help these people?
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #14

Mike
I have a freind who was looking for a place to donate a couple of sets of encylopedias. Let me know if they are something you can use.

Sandy and Debi
2001 34fdds