Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #1

Not many snowbirds yet, Catalina state park AZ

Has the cold weather back east kept people from going west this year? By now the park is usually full and a little overflow at the Walmart in Oro Valley. It was eighty degrees the other day.
Anyone change plans or still home this year because of snow?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #2

Had to head home 3 months early, due to medical issues , in DW's family.
Our usual park, bookings were down 35% over last year in the 2 months; Nov. & Dec. that we were south. After a lot of questioning around the park, found out over 1/2 of the decline was due to sickness and worse.
Another theory , was that many of the younger , 50ish RVers, were hit hard by the financial crunch in 08, and have been unable to afford extended winter breaks to go south, or early retirement. So there are no new Snowbirds showing up to replace those we're losing along the way.
Right now 12 cents on the dollar exchange for Canadians, will put a bite in the numbers too.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:07 AM   #3

In AZ State Parks, does the RV Camping fee include the entrance fee or do campers pay 2 fees? Thanks.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Had to head home 3 months early, due to medical issues , in DW's family.
Our usual park, bookings were down 35% over last year in the 2 months; Nov. & Dec. that we were south. After a lot of questioning around the park, found out over 1/2 of the decline was due to sickness and worse.
Another theory , was that many of the younger , 50ish RVers, were hit hard by the financial crunch in 08, and have been unable to afford extended winter breaks to go south, or early retirement. So there are no new Snowbirds showing up to replace those we're losing along the way.
Right now 12 cents on the dollar exchange for Canadians, will put a bite in the numbers too.
I am one of those 50ish rvers that are stuck up here, because of early retirement (not my choice) Really sucks and 1.5% raise is a joke.
JMO tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I am one of those 50ish rvers that are stuck up here, because of early retirement (not my choice) Really sucks and 1.5% raise is a joke.
JMO tb
How were you lucky enough to get a raise. Drive that rig over to North Dakota and you can make 200K a year. North Dakota is making more new millionaires each year then any state in the union. By percentage of population.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #6

I believe your rv space price includes entrance to the state park.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The drastic change in the dollar will really
affect next years travel.
Parks in Yuma want to continue to raise the rates
but complain when the snowbirds leave for six months.

All the big stores dump at least half of their employees
and a lot of small ones go half time.

Maybe if they kept the rates lower people would still come down
regardless of the exchange.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
Correct.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #9

Just left Catalina SP for the caverns and was really happy that we were able to spent 5 days their with short notice. Point being that while there are a lot of RV's here very few state parks are full - so far we have stayed in 5 AZ SP this trip. Stayed at Quartzsite during the show and had no problems finding a resort with two adjacent sites. Attendance of visitors seems to be way down. Camping fees at SP include inter acne fees.
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
The drastic change in the dollar will really
affect next years travel.
Parks in Yuma want to continue to raise the rates
but complain when the snowbirds leave for six months.

All the big stores dump at least half of their employees
and a lot of small ones go half time.

Maybe if they kept the rates lower people would still come down
regardless of the exchange.
Catch 22, they see we're losing/not making enough money. Answer? Charge more. Basic marketing there's a sweet/spot ratio between cost and number of buyers (in this case campers). They need to find that balance. People will only pay more to a point. The parks may have facilities and activities but if you have to BLM for example may beat parkin' in the driveway. However they should note that in hospitality an empty site/bed/table is a resource you only have 1 chance to sell. You can't stock pile empty nights and add them to a full park night for more spots. Better to make some sales at a reduced rate then none at all. Also you get the ancillary fees (camp store for example) with more rigs in slots and you help fellow local businesses (gas/restaurant/antiques etc)

At least here in the younger generation there is an attitude change. YOLO/it's all about me is becoming more persuasive. "I just spent 1000 at a rave You Only Live Once! All those "little" splurges could = a nice Cuba vacation (dirt cheap btw), a fold down camper, Playa Vista... Just sayin'

Part of it could be despite what the news says my observations are there are a lot of skilled people out there with 2-8 years post secondary doing telemarketing jobs or asking would you like fries with that. I know a foreign trained doctor working in a Kitchen Store, a foreign trained nurse working in a cafe. I also know a journeyman who can't get a job/placement whatever and is delivering chinese food. How about instead of outsourcing lets open up the jobs. Many are willing. few are called. The richer the middle class, the smaller the poor class the more people spend, the more money rich make. End rant.

That and when the baby boomers go, us echo generation well there is less of us. Families are getting smaller. Seems like less couples a. don't last as long and don't make it official b. decide to become DINKS. "You wanted four kids? You so crazy man!"

So that could be part of your less campers theory or I could be off my rockers.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Has the cold weather back east kept people from going west this year? By now the park is usually full and a little overflow at the Walmart in Oro Valley. It was eighty degrees the other day.
Anyone change plans or still home this year because of snow?
I was there for 4 days last week, both campgrounds A& B were full. When we checked in there was a guy reserving our spot for the day we were leaving.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=KSCRUDE;1908698]How were you lucky enough to get a raise. Drive that rig over to North Dakota and you can make 200K a year. North Dakota is making more new millionaires each year then any state in the union. By percentage of population.[/QUOTE

Guess I was lucky with the raise...

I like ND I have crossed it many a time driving OTR out of SD, From Dickenson on the west side to Fargo (ya) on the east side. I wish I could go back too work. Bad back and bilateral peripheral vestibular disorder 100% on Right and 50% on the left. But I can still drive. I had plans for a trip across SD this spring but maybe change it to coming back thru ND. I think it would be interesting to see all the oil stuff.
Thanks for the offer,
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I think that is very true....10 or 15 years ago, my place of employment had many early 50 year old's retiring (30 and out pension). Maybe 60%-75% would retire after hitting their 30 year mark or soon after. Now with changes to the pension and savings wiped out by the "great recession" I would say that is down to 10% at most. Most are working till Medicaid age (65) or longer. I'll be one of the 10%.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat