Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #1

Oasis Of The Seas

Well, it's a lil too early, but important to plan before it's too late. I'm planning a 7 days Caribbean Cruise aboard the oases of the seas as a birthday surprise for my wife some time in October; her BD is October 6th..........I think.............

Has anyone taken a cruise aboard the Oasis of the seas?

Where did you cruise to?

How did you like it?

How was the quality of service?

Would you highly recommend it?

How affordable is it?

Is my budget of $1,800 per person for a 7 day cruise too low?

This is what I would like to surprise my wife with.

Or Allure of the seas:

OGTerror's Off Road Videos
OGTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #2

Just got back from seven day Caribbean cruise on Alure Of The Seas. I have been on 20 or so cruises over the last 25 years..This ship is Huge, biggest on the ocean, very clean, very neat, nice staff. The shows where good, lots of things to do on the ship...The Spa is overpriced and full of sales pitches after every treatment. The food is fair, they cook for 6,000 passengers every day, considering that, they do a good job. We had a great inside cabin with balcony, it overlooked the boardwalk, the outdoor theatre and the ocean, it was very nice....All in all it was a nice trip, I hope this helps a little, G
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We did that cruise (Oasis) in February. You'll do a lot of walking to get around. On the days at sea we couldn't get a seat in the breakfast area. Too many people.
There were four other cruise ships that hit the same ports we did at the same time. Wall to wall people everywhere.
Our service at the evening dining was terrible. Somebody in our party complained about it but to no avail. We quit eating there after three nights of bad service. There are plenty of other places to eat on that ship!!!
We really enjoyed our room with a outdoor balcony. You could hear the waves hitting the ship all night long, very relaxing.
We've decided we like the smaller ships better. We've done five other cruises so we're not new to them.
If you go do the Zip Line, it's a blast!!!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #4

Thank for sharing your reviews it is deeply appreciated.

If you don't mind my asking some more questions: I'm planning on doing the eastern Caribbean, if any of you did that part of the cruise, did you guys disembarked at every port?

If so which port should I avoid?

OGTerror's Off Road Videos
OGTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #5

Our stops where St Thomas, St Maarten, and the Bahammas, no reason to avoid getting off, these stops are all very busy and safe. We chose to stay on the ship most days, after you have been to the islands several times, they all begin to look the same. Additionally, when the ship empties out it is a great time to be on board. G
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENECOP View Post
Our stops where St Thomas, St Maarten, and the Bahammas, no reason to avoid getting off, these stops are all very busy and safe. We chose to stay on the ship most days, after you have been to the islands several times, they all begin to look the same. Additionally, when the ship empties out it is a great time to be on board. G
Lots of neat things to do ashore and folks to meet, no matter how many times we've been to an island and always have felt safe. Go for it. Plenty of time aboard ship.

Got a call that my father-in-law died the evening before we arrived in St Maartin last Nov. We couldn't get on a flight till the day after so we kept on with the plan of a day sailing and snorkeling. Was a great day, met wonderful and sympathetic fellow travellers and natives. Honored Dad, a 36 yr Navy vet and cruise enthusiast who infected us with the cruising bug.

Sounds like a great birthday surprise for your DW. Enjoy.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #7

We recently took a 5 day cruise on Fantasy which is a very nice ship for $265 each. Had a nice room with Queen bed, all meals and the work. That $1800 sounds way out of line. Cruising cost vary tremendously due to the timing. Spring break and Christmas very expensive. Work with a good cruise guy and they can get you a great deal. We were on the 4th deck, but it was very nice. We used Vacations to Go.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Personally, I'd prefer the smaller ships over the new 'Jumbos'. The crew to pax. ratio is much higher on the smaller ones and therefore the service is better. Did the Western Caribbean on the SS 'SeaBreeze' (1 crew to 2.5 pax) and took the last meal sitting for dinner...no time limit and excellent service. The Seabreeze is owned by Dolphin Cruise Lines. (no affiliation here)

When we boarded in Miami, the cruise ship next to the SeaBreeze made us look like a bathtub toy. Anyway, that ship pasted us during the night and we met some people on the big ship as they were coming back from shore at the same stop. They said the ship was great but the service was lacking and the food wasn't up to their expectations. Too many people...not enough crew.
Also, if it's your first cruise, I'd recommend getting a cabin in the middle of the ship as low to the waterline as your comfortable with. This lessens the ships motion should the cruise experience a little weather. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote