Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Obama Care out of state coverage

Will Obama care cover when out of state?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It probably depends on the plan you select. There are plans with networks of care facilities and then you can usually use out of network facilities at sometimes additional cost. It's all about the plan you select.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pacello View Post

Are You serious?? It is just a route for one to take to get health insurance from a health insurance provider. It isn't ONE specific policy for every human here in the states.

It isn't all that different form car insurance.

I have BC&BS thought anthem. I live in the OH-WV-KY tristate area.
A few time a week it is not unusual to be in all state in one day.
No matter which one I am in I am covered.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Old 10-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Key Features of the Affordable Care Act | HHS.gov/healthcare
Old 10-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Are You serious?? It is just a route for one to take to get health insurance from a health insurance provider. It isn't ONE specific policy for every human here in the states.

It isn't all that different form car insurance.

I have BC&BS thought anthem. I live in the OH-WV-KY tristate area.
A few time a week it is not unusual to be in all state in one day.
No matter which one I am in I am covered.
Are YOU serious? The OP asked the question so I assume he is serious. Somehow someone ought to be able to ask a question without snarky comments. Just my opinion.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Let's cut out the personal comments as they're not allowed here and some off topic posts have been deleted. Please stay on topic. Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 10-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
John,
As stated, it is going to be entirely up to the insurance provider that you select, so read the small print. (And then the smaller print.) Ask very specific questions of your provider. Run a simulation. Tell them you are in another state 3 or four states away and ask what facility you can go to. That should tell you something.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

In this and in most all other things "Obama Care" Which by the way is nearly an exact copy of Romney Care (The MA Affordable health care act) upon which it is based. IS no different from your current insurance.

For example. I have Blue Cross PPO. It covers me in all 50 states. and in other countries as well. Come Jan when "Obama care" kicks in I'll still have BCBS and the exact same coverage I have now.

Some insurance companies only cover you if you are in selected hospitals (HMO's for examples) and if you are in a state with no member hospital.> You'd better get ahold of MASA (Medical Air Services Assoicates) and get a medical transport plan from them, or some other such provider.

(I have that too)

With the plan I have if I need to go hospital
MASA picks up any ambulance charges over what Blues pay
MASA will pay for the ambulance to the airport if I need to be transferred to a distant hospital. PROVDE a private medical jet to get me to the airport near said distant hospital, And the ambulance ride to the hospital from there.

They also provide a porter to transport the motor home.

And heaven forbid I fail to survive (As my wife did last easter) They paid to transport HER remains back to Detroit.

I don't work for them (Save that one trip north) (They paid for the gas for the Motor home. I drove, and Judy's Ashes road in her usual seat). But I'm very pleased with the program.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #9

There are 3 different levels of policies under "ObamaCare" with categories of Bronze, Silver, Gold. Each of these levels have very different pricing, deductibles, co-pays, out of pocket maximums, and areas of coverage. Some will pay only if your doctor/service provider is in their network of providers (which can be very restrictive), some will pay at a reduced rate if you go out of their network, and some won't pay a dime if you go out their network. Emergencies may or may not be paid for out of network. So shop and choose wisely.

Many people have existing coverage through say BCBS. Many of these policies will be continued through Sept. of next year. But unless these existing policies include all of the required benefits as defined by Obamacare they will most likely expire and not be renewed. I've been to the SC BCBS site and could buy a policy now (if I qualified which I can't) but there are caveats that it will only be good through next September.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
Old 10-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Affordable Care Act isn't insurance. It is a mandate that everyone carry a minimum level of insurance unless exempt for Religious or economic reasons... (If a basic policy will cost you more than 8% of your policy you're exempt. If you make less than 400% of poverty level you are eligible for tax credit assistance depending on your income. If it is still over 8% of your salary for a silver level policy you're exempt).

The ACA also mandates specific things a silver or higher policy must provide for coverages. It mandates preexisting can no longer be charged more nor denied coverage. It mandates insurance companies must use a certain percentage of your premium to actually cover care costs. If they take in more than the percentage allowed they must refund that portion.

If you're not covered through your employer or spouses or parents employer you shop your states exchange. If your state opted out you shop through the Federal exchange for a provider in your area.

Prices and savings potential vary from state to state and age range just like it always has.

Even catastrophic only coverage pays for out of state up to a certain dollar amount.

If you have Medicare nothing changes for you.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #11

I might point out that Ronny health plan was 71 pages and ObamaCare is 2700 pages. Whoever told you it was an exact copy was way off.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #12

Lindsay is (unfortunately) very correct.
There is little resemblance between MASA and PP/ACA.
I suggest that everybody read both the act itself (2700+) pages and the recently issued guidelines and procedures (32Kpages) to get the real answer. Please, do not believe what you have heard on the news or been told by anybody else.

I have read the act as passed. (I did that before it was voted on.) I am still working on the guidelines, but they are changing as they are being published.

Many direct remarks have been omitted as they have little to do with RV life.

Matt