Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #15

I sometimes wonder if having an RV is healthy. I realize it's just the age of folks with the RVs and the stage of life we're all in. Around the camp fires the discussions usually turns to cancers, what type every body has or heart disease.

dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Well it's a fact of life the older we get the more issues that seem to come along. All the more reason to take better care of yourself. As I said before, most issues don't just all of a sudden happen it is because of years of bad diet or other decisions it is just getting caught up to us.
I have met some retirees who really put me to shame with their fitness and ability. I say enjoy the lifestyle as long as you can by taking great care of yourself!

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #17

It,s a every day thing,my wife and i go to the gym every day for one hour at home and on the road we fine a Y are work out with what we can. We watch what we eat. We are in our 70s we lost about 30 lbs in the last 2 years. our no,s at the lab are way doun.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:05 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use membership camping to cut down on my parking fees, this means that most of the time (This summer will be an exception) I am taking down and setting up every week or two.

Plus I have to do all my own cooking now. (Actually I'm a fairly good cook, which is part of my problem I like eating my own cooking, so do several others) But there is enough work to keep me below 300 for the most part.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
I have been using this for cooking for years, however I knew only that it was the best oil (next is virgin olive oil) for ingesting, what I did not know was it's health properties.. After 30 years of usage I know why I haven't seen a DR other than for torn ligaments in my shoulders in as long a time'
If you do not want to read the links, at least read the list I have added.
I never cook in a microwave,it kills the nutrients in the food, I will heat up leftovers however as the nutrients are gone from the food by then. Dessert in this case is a vitamin tablet.

I even saute vegs in this oil to consume as much as I can, I have even blended it into my butter for the same reason (yes, butter, that other stuff will make you sick) I try to eat healthy and I love to cook and eat, so I use luncheon size plates only, half of the battle is getting over the ingrained 'voice' (eat everything on your plate...) the smaller plate allows me to finish my meal without guilt, if I am still hungry I wait 20 minutes and that usually cures it... the stomach will enlarge or shrink, keep it small by eating less more often if you must. Don't forget to walk, it keeps everything working!!
To your good health!

Dr. Joseph Mercola: Coconut Oil Benefits: When Fat Is Good For You

Coconut Oil Benefits: The Fat That Ignites An Explosion Of Health Benefits

This is from coconutresearchcenter.org:

Coconut In Modern Medicine

Modern medical science is now confirming the use of coconut in treating many of the above conditions. Published studies in medical journals show that coconut, in one form or another, may provide a wide range of health benefits. Some of these are summarized below:

Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses.
Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases.
Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections.
Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites.
Provides a nutritional source of quick energy.
Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance.
Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.
Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body.
Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis.
Helps relieve symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes.
Reduces problems associated with malabsorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.
Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth.
Helps protect against osteoporosis.
Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease.
Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers.
Improves digestion and bowel function.
Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids.
Reduces inflammation.
Supports tissue healing and repair.
Supports and aids immune system function.
Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers.
Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease.
Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects against heart disease.
Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.
Functions as a protective antioxidant.
Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease.
Does not deplete the body's antioxidant reserves like other oils do.
Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation.
Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement).
Reduces epileptic seizures.
Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections.
Dissolves kidney stones.
Helps prevent liver disease.
Is lower in calories than all other fats.
Supports thyroid function.
Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate.
Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats.
Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems.
Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection.
Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis.
Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin.
Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking.
Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots.
Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion.
Provides protection from damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation from the sun.
Helps control dandruff.
Does not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperature like other vegetable oils do.
Has no harmful or discomforting side effects.
Is completely non-toxic to humans.
See Research to read some of the published studies regarding the above mentioned uses of coconut products.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try this site. The Fit RV they seem to be a great couple and even have some videos of things they do. A lot with stretch bands and maybe a little over the top but you could always modify things from there excersize sessions. Good luck and hope this helps.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Try this site. The Fit RV they seem to be a great couple and even have some videos of things they do. A lot with stretch bands and maybe a little over the top but you could always modify things from there excersize sessions. Good luck and hope this helps.
<waving hand wildly like Arnold Horshack>
Ooooh! Oooooh! Steve! That's us!!
Thanks for the mention.

Some of the exercise videos, particularly those with the TRX, do get a bit more intense. But Stef, my better half, is a SilverSneakers instructor, and we try to include exercises for all ability levels. The last three exercise videos we put up were actually taken from her SilverSneakers classes, so they should be gentle enough for anyone.

If there's something that you all would want to see, drop us a line. We're real people, and it's just the two of us running the site. We don't sell a thing, and there are no ads on the site even. It's our hobby and it's all free.
TheFitRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #22

We have Silver Sneakers memberships, and go to Anytime Fitness. With that you get an RF tag and can go in to work out whenever you wish. Last year we had trouble finding places to exercise, and are too lazy to do jumping jacks, etc. Jan likes to walk, but we need more, so a fitness club is a better choice.
Tom
TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
HI All -

We just completed a 20-day roadtrip in our CAR. We don't have an RV quite yet. But I have to say, with the exception of a few days at my dad's eating home-cooked food and cold cereal, we were eating out twice a day with a mid-day "snack" of some nuts and fruit.

We did work out at gyms at a couple of the Best Western's we stayed in and we walked our dog often.

I still gained weight because (1) I viewed myself as "on vacation" which in my mind means cocktails and dessert (I know, I know); and (2) because we were generally eating dinner out each night, I was disinclined to eat as healthy as I would at home. I might have gained more without the stuff we did and now that I'm home, I've lost over three pounds with a few more to go to be back where I started from.

What did I learn?

1. Being in an RV has GOT to be healthier just due to eating home cooked food which for us tends to be pretty good, generally speaking. We eat veggies, salads, chicken, fish and so on.

2. I completely agree on incorporating walking and gym going into daily routines and I think we can do it - we, too, have 24-hour-fitness memberships which are nation-wide so hopefully will be near enough to utilize. I think it's also time to dust off the hiking boots for some more rugged walking (at least it's uphill).

But . . . I want to think through the being "on vacation" mode of thinking that I think is the big crux of the biscuit (ooops, food metaphor). Why? Because we have a bad track record of letting loose on vacation and that will, inevitably lead to weight gain which is not something either of us want to keep battling over and over (okay, maybe if we take a cruise then I'll deal with the extra pounds from that).

As we are newly retired (early retirees), we are, I guess, perpetually on vacation, but at home, we have projects, daily routines, etc. that make it NOT seem this way. I want to be in the RV and think of myself as "at home" wherever we are, whether on the road, or in the sticks-n-bricks home.

That's the big trick, I think. And I am curious how others have made this transition from the "hey, yep, I'll have another cocktail - I'm on vacation" mode to "it's just another day in paradise - pass the veggies" mode. Not there yet.

Laura of
Bob-n-Laura

Our blog: The Two Who Wander | All Who Wander Are Not Lost. J.R.R. Tolkein
Old 01-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #24

Once we retired, the idea of "vacation" seemed funny to me. Vacation from what? For us, where ever we are and whatever we are doing, is just what we happen to be doing that day. That helped us overcome the "vacation bulge". Now that said, there are places we go specifically to taste the local cuisine. That's when we have a problem.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:56 PM   #25

I'm just a weekend camper with a older TT. I have healthier habits when I'm out camping then what I do stuck at home all winter long. When I'm out at least I'm moving and not setting still. Plus, the small, out of the way, campgrounds I frequent have hiking / biking trails that I use for exercise. I shop at the local farmers markets, or bring fresh produce from my home garden. Cooked over a open fire it's delicious and better for me then the manufactured foods I eat in the winter. I loose weight and feel better in the summer when I can get out more and get my fat butt off the couch.

Maybe you taking your RV to the wrong parks and using it the wrong way? Load up some healthy food from the closest farmers market, and then drive to a out of the way site with no Television reception so that you then have to get out and do things. Anything that gets you out and about is a good start. A lot of local places have "Nature Centers" that have hiking trails allowing you to check out wildlife and things while exercising at the same time. Even fishing can be exercise if you do it right. Why watch about eagles on TV when you can go for a walk and watch them in nature. Not only is this good exercise it's releases stress. That helps your health too.

So in closing I'm saying, get out of the RV and explore! There is a lot of great stuff just outside your door! Why drive the RV to a park and set inside it all the time?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Yes, I think you are absolutely right. One thing that I worry about buying too cushy and NICE of an RV with multiple TV sets is that we'll be too sedentary. I want the point of being on the road to be active and out doors at least most of the time.

Good reminder!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
I like this approach, mentally. I think we're in the process of slowly switching from the vacation mode to what you describe which is a far healthier, more sustainable (in both body AND soul) way of being. Thanks for the "food" for thought.

Laura
Old 02-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #28
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
I'm just a weekend camper with a older TT. I have healthier habits when I'm out camping then what I do stuck at home all winter long. When I'm out at least I'm moving and not setting still. Plus, the small, out of the way, campgrounds I frequent have hiking / biking trails that I use for exercise. I shop at the local farmers markets, or bring fresh produce from my home garden. Cooked over a open fire it's delicious and better for me then the manufactured foods I eat in the winter. I loose weight and feel better in the summer when I can get out more and get my fat butt off the couch.

Maybe you taking your RV to the wrong parks and using it the wrong way? Load up some healthy food from the closest farmers market, and then drive to a out of the way site with no Television reception so that you then have to get out and do things. Anything that gets you out and about is a good start. A lot of local places have "Nature Centers" that have hiking trails allowing you to check out wildlife and things while exercising at the same time. Even fishing can be exercise if you do it right. Why watch about eagles on TV when you can go for a walk and watch them in nature. Not only is this good exercise it's releases stress. That helps your health too.

So in closing I'm saying, get out of the RV and explore! There is a lot of great stuff just outside your door! Why drive the RV to a park and set inside it all the time?
nice outlook. couldn't agree more.