Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2006, 03:03 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don (W5IT):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I love having 4 wheel drive </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richards truck IS four wheel drive......

But ya still gotta stop the rig and make it turn....

But I rarely seem to have any problem with snow or ice myself. On of the benifits of living "Down South" eh?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the benefit of only having those four wheels being the ones that need stopping and turning no worries about jackknifing!
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2006, 03:40 AM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Guess we are not to far south, we have flurries It is sticking to the deck, but like one flake every 5 inches or so

Tow 2001 PT Cruiser
Colette and Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:57 AM   #17
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"......no worries about jackknifing!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting observation.

Consider towing a trailer that weighs about double that of the tow vehicle down an icy, slippery grade of about 9% and then carefully negotiating a curve that has a slight bank to it. 4x4 is a help but it won't eliminate concerns of jackknifing and in some instances may aggravate it.

Unless caught out, I keep off of the ice and snow with the trailer in this terrain. Got caught on the mountain a couple times coming in off of a trip and I gotta tell you, it makes you think!
Old 11-20-2006, 04:37 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Hello, Carolina folks, this thread gives me the shivers. Bill will not even think of towing in the snow. If we ever get caught in it we will have to just stay put till its over and melted. I am always amazed at the folks out west who camp in snow all the time. duh?
Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:14 AM   #19

Looking at the snow in the mountains is close enough. Having lived in New England and Chicago, I find the climate here very mild. In our part of Oregon we average 20 inches of rain a year, maybe an inch of snow (melts quickly), but we can camp year round NOT in the snow, just the rain.

2001 Ford F250 Diesel
RoyandNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:22 PM   #20

We have been very lucky up here so far we have been able to avoid most of the things that I dislike most about winter.So far we only have had 2 inches and they are long gone it is still very cool at nite,lows in the single digetsbut it has been getting into the 40's during the day it is helping to make our long winter seem much shorter comon spring

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:52 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"......no worries about jackknifing!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting observation.

Consider towing a trailer that weighs about double that of the tow vehicle down an icy, slippery grade of about 9% and then carefully negotiating a curve that has a slight bank to it. 4x4 is a help but it won't eliminate concerns of jackknifing and in some instances may aggravate it.

Unless caught out, I keep off of the ice and snow with the trailer in this terrain. Got caught on the mountain a couple times coming in off of a trip and I gotta tell you, it makes you think! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya missed my joke, I was making fun of the fact that all you folks with the big RVs are having worries with the snow and jackknifing, something you can't physically do when you're driving my setup which is a 4x4 truck with a 3000lb (Fully stocked) weight camper on the back, there's just nothing to jackknife, because there's nothing being towed.

Ah, well, not that important
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:14 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You guys are bringing back bad memories. We bought our RV in January, 2004. Our first outing was on Valentine's day to Lake Buchanon, about 200 miles from us. I had driven rental class Cs for about 7,000 miles but this was my first real trip in a Class A with air brakes, etc.

We hit snow(a dusting) in Waco, sleet in Georgetown and freezing rain in LLano. We managed to get to our destination. We had heard the warnings about using the exhaust brake on wet road conditions and faced a bunch of small hills right before our arrival. We had 2" of snow on the RV the next morning.

Now I know why "adult beverages" are sold in 12 packs! This was NOT what I had in mind for a maiden voyage.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:01 AM   #23

Appalachian Campers
Looks like Florida got some too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Snowflakes Spotted in Central Florida

Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. (Nov. 22) - Snowbirds come to the Sunshine State to escape them, but weather officials said a few snowflakes were spotted in Central Florida.

The flakes, mixed with rain, fell about 9 p.m. Tuesday, according to the National Weather Service. Snow shovels were not needed, but some of the white stuff did hit the ground before melting, weather-service meteorologist John Pendergrast said.

"It's just cold enough in the lower levels of the atmosphere" to keep the flakes from melting, Pendergrast said.

The last time the region saw snow was in 2003, when flakes fell over Brevard and Volusia counties.

Temperatures in the area Tuesday night dipped to the low 40s, and were expected to fall to the 30s, Pendergrast said.

Wind chills may drop into the 20s in parts of north Florida and high temperatures may only reach the 60s as far south as the Keys on Wednesday, state meteorologist Ben Nelson said.

Miami wasn't expected to even hit 70 on Wednesday, and low temperatures were expected to dive into the mid-40s.

A developing storm out at sea off of Florida's east coast is driving cold air southward into the state, which resulted in freeze watches for several locations in the Panhandle earlier this week. Residents were being reminded to protect themselves, their plants, their pets and their pipes.

The cold weather is expected to last through Thanksgiving, but by the end of the week warmer temperatures were forecast to return. By Sunday, the high in Miami is expected to be 81. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #24

I'd be happy to even have MINIMAL camping until spring! We've been winterized since October. I need to move south!
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #25

We left Hinckley, MN the morning of Oct 21, 2006. There was a nice 1/2" coating of snow, sleet and ice. Didn't like that at all. Spent the next night in Story City, IA in a hard rain and gigantic bird droppings (we musta parked under an Eagle's nest!! ) Super chill followed us south. Couple days later, in Chanute, KS, a severe thunderstorm/tornado watch was issued. . Heavy-duty cell formed right over us, rained like crazy for 10 minutes (washed off all the bird crap, however! )and went severe just north of us.
Tornadoes struck in western Kansas that day. Sometimes the snow isn't all that bad. In any event, currently, it's cloudy and 75 here in Mission.

FT Since Jun 06
Dave & Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:55 PM   #26

Jayco Owners Club
No snow here in Minnesota and going to 50º tomorrow.

(Dave, my Grandmother Hogan has a tape recording filed at the Hinkley library about her memories of the Hinkley fire of 1894 - http://www.macalester.edu/geography/...ckley/fire.htm )
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:09 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey, How about sending some here to southern Maine as it could be here for Christmas! Aw, Come on!! If I have to live up here,I might as well have snow that way I can remember What it Looks and Feels like again!
They are calling for a chance this weekend but they think it will be too warm to support snow and it will be mostly rain Sat and Sun.
I don'think they know what they are doing anyway! Just send anyway we know how to deal with it anyway!!!
Dan and Deb
PS, Just How much snow do ya need for Santa to land the MH in?
Denver has over 3 feet right now! I got the hook and rod need some wind to bring it up this way! Its been 10 years since the last snowy christmas!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:43 AM   #28

Appalachian Campers
We're getting it again....yuck!

Today's weather alert:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Winter Storm Warning:

WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST FRIDAY.

SNOW SHOWERS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP THIS MORNING AND BECOME NUMEROUS THIS AFTERNOON. A BURST OF MODERATE HEAVY SHOWERS IS LIKELY BETWEEN 1 PM AND 5 PM AS AN UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE MOVES THROUGH. ANYWHERE FROM 2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW CAN BE EXPECTED...WITH THE HEAVIEST TOTALS ON THE WEST FACING SLOPES NEAR THE TENNESSEE LINE.

IN ADDITION TO THE SNOW...WINDS WILL INCREASE TO THE 20 TO 30 MPH RANGE THIS AFTERNOON WITH GUSTS BETWEEN 40 AND 50 MPH DEVELOPING TONIGHT. THE WIND COMBINED WITH THE HEAVIER SNOW SHOWERS WILL PRODUCE PERIODS OF LIMITED VISIBILITY AND MODERATE SNOW DRIFTS. ALSO...WIND CHILLS WILL PLUMMET TONIGHT AND LOWER TO BETWEEN ZERO AND 5 BELOW BY FRIDAY MORNING.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... SLEET... AND ICE ARE EXPECTED. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO EXPECTED WHICH WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>