Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #15

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
You are referring to the oil traders, right?

Oil is a commodity traded each business day just like gold, silver, pork bellies, etc. Actually, its the buyer that sets the price not the seller. Bid vs ask price.

Now if anyone wants to really get on a price kick-I recently read that ink for our inkjet printers cost $5400.00 per gallon.
You mean YOUR inkjet printers. You couldn't give me one of those ink thirsty, jam prone pieces of...junk.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why is it that any discussion of gas prices causes so many to turn their brains off?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #17

Jim

Ink could cost $5400 a gallon as you state but I would guess i would never purchase more then 1 gallon in my lifetime at work printing reports weekly for my job.

I do however need to drive to work and even with my 4 cly. daily driver @ 30 plus MPG it still uses about 18 gallons per week. So I do not think ink is such a bad deal when 1 gallon ink will last a lifetime for most people.

Anyway if you make your living as an oil trader or have family that do, then I am happy for you . I however am still unhappy for myself and everyone else that is paying too much at the pump.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Oil prices are heavily influenced by production, and production is controlled by cartels who seek to keep per-barrel prices as high as possible without causing consumer revolt in the form of alternative energy and fuel efficiency. Even so, worldwide demand continues to rise, so limiting supply is a great way to keep prices high.

Prices start to fall? Turn back the spigot to reduce supply till they rise again. Prices high enough to cause complaints? Turn the spigot up a bit till prices fall back into the zone.

Even if we Americans continue along the path of fuel efficiency and alternative energy, the rest of the world is still going to demand more and more oil. The cartels are in a golden position as long as demand doesn't outstrip their ability to produce.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #19

Gas sells for 6-8 dollars a gallon in England. $13.00 a gallon in Norway Iam sure EU is way ahead of us in price. They laugh at us when we complain about U.S. gas prices. Of course those prices reflect taxes that there governments add to the price of oil.
Be aware those prices may be coming to a theater near you !! Watch for it cause its coming..That will put me off the road for sure. Think I'll use the moho to store my lawn tools in
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
Last time oil was $80 dollars a barrel; gas was $1.50 a gallon
How can that be? There are 42 gallons in a barrel of oil. $1.50/gallon x 42 gallons = $63 per barrel of gasoline recovered at $1.50/gallon, not even allowing for taxes, refining and distribution costs, profits, etc.

I believe you're thinking of when oil fell to almost $30/bbl during the 2008-2009 recession. It's nowhere near that level today.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
Last time oil was $80 dollars a barrel; gas was $1.50 a gallon
Last time gasoline was $1.50/gallon the US Dollar was worth about $.75, now it's worth about $.35.
My 2 cents worth is now worth about 4 pesos.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
I will be happily filling up our van with $2.999 fuel later this morning. I guess the oil company's plans to get us used to high prices is working as I am pretty dang thrilled to be paying less than $3/gallon for a change.
Where are you buying gas for $2.99? We are still around $4.00 here in So Cal
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
How can that be? There are 42 gallons in a barrel of oil. $1.50/gallon x 42 gallons = $63 per barrel of gasoline recovered at $1.50/gallon, not even allowing for taxes, refining and distribution costs, profits, etc.

I believe you're thinking of when oil fell to almost $30/bbl during the 2008-2009 recession. It's nowhere near that level today.

Rusty
I was thinking the same thing...
And...
Is oil $80.00 a barrel NOW????

Francesca, really confused by the O.P.'s Original Post.......
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:30 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
I will be happily filling up our van with $2.999 fuel later this morning. I guess the oil company's plans to get us used to high prices is working as I am pretty dang thrilled to be paying less than $3/gallon for a change.
Where is gas $2.999? I paid $3.669 for my last tank and feel lucky to have found that! Most of the gas in Longview, WA was $3.979 last time I went to town on Friday.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Where is gas $2.999? I paid $3.669 for my last tank and feel lucky to have found that! Most of the gas in Longview, WA was $3.979 last time I went to town on Friday.
Ours isn't 2.99, but regular unleaded is selling for $3.09 a gal here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
Ours isn't 2.99, but regular unleaded is selling for $3.09 a gal here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.
Yep! Same here in the Houston area and as it should be...we produce it and refine it here.

Now if we can get that pipeline from Canada to Port Arthur, TX, we'll really be cooking or should I say "refining".
Old 09-26-2011, 06:16 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
What is diesel a gallon selling for in Texas? Will be heading to Brownsville November.
Thanks
Rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelone View Post
What is diesel a gallon selling for in Texas? Will be heading to Brownsville November.
Thanks
Rebel
In the $3.50's except at the Flying J's, Pilots, etc where its still in the high $3.60's to $3.70's.

I saw a Murphy's yesterday in the Houston area with access for my 38ft with toad for $3.51. Flying J $3.74.