Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #1

Ok MOSQUITO experts, what's the best preventative?

Gang,
We're Arizonians and, have been invited to family reunion type thing in mid July,
in norther Michigan someplace. The DW know where, I'm just the chauffeur. My daughter's been in the area before, at about the same time of year and, she, like both of us, is subject to severe MOSQUITO attacks. It doesn't matter where we go, if there's mosquitos in that state, THEY'RE WAITING for us. In fact, they're probably re-inforcing their armies now, knowing we're coming in July.
It's nice for other people in the area 'cause, the skeeters won't bother them, 'cause they know WE'RE coming. They starve themselves just knowing we're coming. Anyway, for those of you that have used KNOWN preventatives, dietary supplements, ointments, motor oil (just kidding, maybe), ANYTHING that can be taken or used, in advance of a trip like this, we'd sure as heck be sincerely grateful.

We've used things like "Skin so soft" by Avon in the past and, if I recall, it seems to work somewhat well. And, there's always the few dozen off the shelf skeeter repellants too. Some shy away from "Deet" due to some sort of "Bad for ya" type thing. I could care less if it's bad for ya. The trade off of using it IF it's bad for ya but, keeping the skeeters at bay, is well worth it to me. When we both get bit by them, it's like we're both wearing ping-pong balls attached to our extremities. And, I don't know about the rest of you but, those bites just seem to linger and linger for quite a while before they seem to subside.

We'll most likely be leaving our little oven city of Lake Havasu sometime around maybe the 1st or a little later. We're going to lolly gag around on the way there. So, what say all you EXPERT SKEETER EATERS, what's some GREAT preventatives that WORK?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only real remedy is to move the reunion to Lake Havasu. Other than that you could sew fire resistant pockets all over your clothes, fill them with mosquito coils and light them. I'm originally from Minnesota, so I am familiar with the situation.

Glenn
Old 06-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #3

I had a cabin then a home in skitter area.
The bugs are most active in the 65 to 75 temp range, where the air is calm.
Avoid any product with an odor , pit stop , after shave , anything.
Keep away from tall grass , they'll be on the grass, in shaded areas, when temps are higher .
Wear light long sleeve shirts and pants , and a cloth hat that can be sprayed with replant ; so you don't have to apply it to your skin; and washed later.
If sitting and the temp is right , set up your chair in the sun , and where you can pick up any breeze. The light long clothes will help with sun exposure too.
Safe travels.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
DEET is the only proven repellent.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Thermacell. I couldn't believe how effective it is.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
1. Use insect repellant with 30% Deet or so.
2. If hanging out in front of you rv, the citronella candles in those small metal buckets worked for us.
3. If not using #2, a fan set to a reasonable speed will create just enough air movement to annoy bugs and generally keep them away.
4. We've also used skin-so-soft in the past primarily to keep ticks/chiggars away.
5. No bathing for several days also reportedly keeps bugs away.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroop View Post
Thermacell. I couldn't believe how effective it is.
I just got one and used it Memorial Day. Works as advertised. Makes a nice lantern as well.

The other thing I have used on my rafting and backpacking trips is treating my clothing with permethrin. You can purchase https://www.backcountryedge.com/perm...-clothing.html For Clothing at REI or other outdoor stores. Once it is dry, it sets into the fabric and is not water soluble. They claim it can survive up to 6 washes but the soaking kit I used claimed many more. I can't seem to locate the kits any more. They used to sell the kit at REI. You can even buy clothing that is pre-treated. Permethrin is effective for ticks, black flies, and chiggers too.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I am allergic to 'skitters. They raise welts the size of golf balls when they bite me. Living in East Tennessee I have learned the following:

1. Skin So Soft is a lure for the buggers. Bring 'em in by the boat load.

2. Off wipes work wonders. Lots of DEET in them. (Better living thru chemistry, I say.)

3. Place a ThermaCell under your chair when outside. They do work.

4. Light two of those 3 wick Citronella candles and hang them within 15 feet of where you are sitting.

5. Talk to your doctor and get an Rx for Triamconolone Acetonide cream to help release the itching. Use it sparingly. Rub a little dab into each bite within 10 minutes of being bitten. Releases the itching within 1/2 hour. At least for me.

Our S&B backs up to 80 acres of dense woods that are full of no see'ems, Tiger skeeters and other types of blood suckers. Use all of the above together and your time will be less painful.

I hate them things.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #9

Adding significant garlic to our diet helps the grand-daughter and I. Not 100% effective but better.

Cliff
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #10

The proven Canadian product is musk oil name brand product. Was issue to us in the military for skeeters back a couple decades ago. Still can buy at Canadian Tire.
Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Mosquitoes don't like me, but my wife is a real magnet for them! She uses Muskol or Deep Woods Off. If they are real hungry, they sometimes turn on me!!
I have hear it said that people that eat bananas get attacked more than those that don't. I'm so glad I don't like monkey food!!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gang,
We're Arizonians and, have been invited to family reunion type thing in mid July,
in norther Michigan someplace. The DW know where, I'm just the chauffeur. My daughter's been in the area before, at about the same time of year and, she, like both of us, is subject to severe MOSQUITO attacks. It doesn't matter where we go, if there's mosquitos in that state, THEY'RE WAITING for us. In fact, they're probably re-inforcing their armies now, knowing we're coming in July.
It's nice for other people in the area 'cause, the skeeters won't bother them, 'cause they know WE'RE coming. They starve themselves just knowing we're coming. Anyway, for those of you that have used KNOWN preventatives, dietary supplements, ointments, motor oil (just kidding, maybe), ANYTHING that can be taken or used, in advance of a trip like this, we'd sure as heck be sincerely grateful.

We've used things like "Skin so soft" by Avon in the past and, if I recall, it seems to work somewhat well. And, there's always the few dozen off the shelf skeeter repellants too. Some shy away from "Deet" due to some sort of "Bad for ya" type thing. I could care less if it's bad for ya. The trade off of using it IF it's bad for ya but, keeping the skeeters at bay, is well worth it to me. When we both get bit by them, it's like we're both wearing ping-pong balls attached to our extremities. And, I don't know about the rest of you but, those bites just seem to linger and linger for quite a while before they seem to subside.

We'll most likely be leaving our little oven city of Lake Havasu sometime around maybe the 1st or a little later. We're going to lolly gag around on the way there. So, what say all you EXPERT SKEETER EATERS, what's some GREAT preventatives that WORK?
Scott
You must have either spent most of your life either in the Snow or the Desert - 40 percent DEET is what I carry - in every car - every RV and Every travel bag for the last 45+ years it works, but will need to be refreshed as the day goes along.

I wear a Hat that has it sprayed on it and then am sure to rub it on every exposed part of my body, before spraying it on the clothes.

It WORKS - just breath slowly so as not to swallow them.

Best of Luck,

Ps be sure to bring more than you need - as everyone will borrow it....
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #13

Antarctica
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I have hear it said that people that eat bananas get attacked more than those that don't. I'm so glad I don't like monkey food!!
Funny. That's what I smell when my honey bees get really mad, bananas. That's their alarm pheromone.
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent