Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #15

The town where I grew up (Annandale, VA) was just a hole in the road (at that time, sheesh how that's changed!) and they had a "gas war" for quite a while. 8.9 cents per gallon and every 8 gallons got you steak knives or glasses or towels (depending on the station). Must have been the late 50's.

Yes, that Gulf station in Bedford is still open, get gas there fairly often when we "go into the big city"

Had a 1968 Austin Healey when the gas crunch of the early '70s hit. They had the odd-even rationing and you had to buy a minimum of 5 gallons. I had to carry a spare gas can to fill the car up...it had a 4 gallon tank when bone dry. The first time I went to fill it up and the tank only took 2.5 gallons, the attendant said I had to buy 5 gallons... I asked him where on the pavement he wanted me to pump the other 2.5 gallons since the tank only held 4 when bone dry. I wised up and carried a gas can to pump the difference into to avoid arguments. They didn't see too many Austins in those days.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
Cool. Thanks for posting

Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brought back memories. Didn't see a Sinclair station though. A boyhood friend has restored the one back in my old homeplace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sinclair.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	31728  
Cliff Fargason
US Army (ret)
2012 Fleetwood Bounder
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
Nice find ... that was back when a Filling Station was actually a business with customer service and not just a place to get fuel and shop in the mini-mart.

I find this photo interesting. If I read it right, it's from 1933 and the station is offering 10% ethanol ... excuse me 10% corn alcohol.

Guess we haven't learned much about ethanol based fuels in the last 80 years, aside from upping it to 15%

This one jumped out at me too. I had the same reaction when I saw this picture.
Craig & Donna
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV (aka The Hotel Monterey)
2011 Jeep Liberty Limited
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
If you remember 24.9 gas does that make you an old fa#t. Jim
Nope! It was on the way back up in price at that price.

I remember 15.9 cents a gallon at the local Sunoco station.

My cousin had his license first. He would call me up and ask how much money I had. I'd tell him 25 cents, cause i wanted to keep the other 25 cents of my allowance. He said he had the same and did I want to go "cruisin'." Well of course, so we would stop and get 50 cents worth (about 2 and a half gallons) and go cruisin'. That was in the 50's.

As for the 1974 gas shortage, don't get me started there. There was no gas shortage. That was early demonstrated when everyone started carpooling and the bans on purchasing were all lifted.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
As for the 1974 gas shortage, don't get me started there. There was no gas shortage. That was early demonstrated when everyone started carpooling and the bans on purchasing were all lifted.
I remember that vividly. There was a gas station at the top of our street, and cars would be lined up, snaking through the neighborhood, waiting in line for hours. Odd days/even days ... we had a neighbor that had two cars and luckily for him, he had both an odd and even plate - so he would "cheat" on days when he needed gas, and switch the plates out.
2005 National Sea Breeze 1311
2015 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (trailered)
Follow us online http://OurRVJourney.com
2Labs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #21
24.5Cents?? I remember .16 cents and worry it was going to go to .18cents some day.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was 15 and 1/2 when I got my learners permit, and I could drive a motor scooter. I had a job in a Phillips gas station after school. I would ride my Vespa motor scooter to school then work no matter how bad the weather or how sick I was. When I turned 16 my father found a 53 gmc pickup that I bought. It was really nice in bad weather. I worked in gas stations until I turned 18 and joined the navy. I am glad there were jobs pumping gas, lubing cars and cleaning restrooms. Things are so much diffrent today, kids do not have many jobs to teach them how to work.
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #23
I worked in a very small gas station when I was 16 in 59' the price of gas was $.16 and we had bulk oil(reclaimed) in glass bottles.It was one of the most miserable jobs I've ever had,working outside in the winter rain and snow just outside of Boston.The cheap old coot that owned it would take out of our pay any discrepancy in the cash and the meter readings.To this day I cannot figure out why the diff./we never cheated on him but every week it was the same.We were short.We as in my friend and I.Come up to Or where the attendant still pumps the gas and will service the car if you want and the price is still less than Ca. Also there are lots of people working these jobs that wouldn't have a job.
biker art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #24
Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Thanks for sharing. I worked for Streng's Sinclair in Sandusky , Ohio when I was 15 - 16 regular gas was 29.9 in 1966. Mrs Streng did everything and continued when her husband died. I have many fond memories working for those fine people. They were in business for over forty years.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #25
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1956 Yokosuka Japan $.012

04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote