Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
Old men tend to ramble

I have never understood why birthdays that make your age end in zero are different. But, they feel that way. I guess it is the ides of another decade, not just another year. And, I now have seven decades. Yep, I hit the big "70". But, I still wonder who that old man that looks at me from the mirror is.
There is no garuantee that I will see eighty. But there was not a garuantee for seventy either. So, what happens now? I have lost the desire and never had the ability to change the whole world. All I can do is to keep on keeping on and try to make my small spot in the world a little better. Try to get a smile from people who need to smile. Try to be an old man that people can talk to. Try not to tell all the younger people how to live because what was the way fifty years ago doesn't work now. Keep active, both mind and body. Accept change, because things will change whether you accept it or not. I don't like some of the changes, but no one asked me. I am too old to put on my armor, jump on my charger and attack the nearest windmill.
All I can do is the best I can for me and mine. And, try to spread kindness and humour as I finish out what is left for me.

Jim and Darlene Wright
plus Ryder, the Ethiopian
monkeybeaver dog
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 08:19 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Happy birthday!
70 is the new 50?... Well, maybe not, but it is not nearly as old as it used to be. One day at a time...

Larry and Prissy Sharp
2006 Allegro Bay 37DB
2012 Toyota Yaris
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Happy B Day, well said and I fully understand.....I used to be Superman....now I am only BatMan!!
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
Thor Owners Club
Happy Birthday ... great perspective from a man who "has been there and done that"! Congratulations!
Russ and Tam
2015 Thor Outlaw MD w/ 2012 Road Glide CVO & 2012 Dyna Switchback
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Happy Birthday with more to come.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:48 PM   #6
Happy Birthday, what a great attitude, you will definitely get to the eighties and nineties with that attitude. Well said and we need more people like you, have a great year and many more to come.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #7
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Happy Birthday Don Quixote!
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:56 AM   #8
I'm with you Jim. I hit 70 yesterday. But I share my birthday with my youngest daughter, AND my youngest grandaughter. Looking back I wonder sometimes how I made it this long. Not complaining mind you. We just need to stay active in mind & body. No sitting on the front porch in a rocking chair for me. I read once how one guy wanted to go out..... Sliding in sideways to the Pearly Gates on a Harley in a body completely used up and telling St. Peter...."Man, what a ride."
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:11 AM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Happy Birthday Halfwright! Shoot for the 80 mark!
Tricia & Dennis Lockhart
2010 Ventana 4333
Spartan MM w/Cummins 360 ISC
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:23 AM   #10
Entegra Owners Club
I'm with you guys. Turned 70 two months ago. Lots of good times still to go. My father is 97 and still in good shape. Like Peter Pan, I'll never grow up!
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #11
Tiffin Owners Club
You may be halfwright, but you have the WHOLE big picture. I agree with your philosophy.
Seeing this country from ground level.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Happy Birthday! I love your perspective on life! Have a great year! /ken
Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:14 AM   #13
Happy Birthday from a youngester,64. My wife tells me I am growing older but certainly not growing up. Please do not stop telling kids how things should be as they desperately need guidance in the right direction. So many are not getting it from their parents. I still drive a school bus and see every day the growing number of children now being cared for by their grandparents. I also see those kids that believe things like, one should buy their meat at the store where it is made instead of killing animals. They really need the insight and experience that you have. Kids today are one power outage away from going crazy.
King Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #14
Winnebago Owners Club
When I retired my daughter bought me a tee shirt that said "Warning, Retired, Knows it all and has plenty of time to tell you all about it" Now that I am 72 and have been practicing that statement for years, I find I keep forgetting what it is that I know and I have a need to attempt to back up that statement by filling in the gaps with "BS"

Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote